Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

31 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

This is actually a good tool to show why it doesn't make sense to draft Trae. There's 33 players on that list. Only 14 of those I'd be happy taking with the 6th pick in any draft. Of those 14, 7 had wingspans above 6'6, 4 were outlier level athletes either jumping or speed, 2 which don't fit length/athlete criteria are expected to contend for best point guard of all time discussions, then there's Mike Conley who is a good two way player. As Trae doesn't fit elite length, elite athleticism, or solid two way player criteria, the only want he lives up to 6th pick valuation is if he becomes a hall of fame caliber player or else he falls into the good 6th man, disappointing starter category like collison, barea, jameer, etc. 

*Slow clap* very good argument. 

32 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

he's a very cerebral player, has a very quick trigger, has amazing handles and is the best passer in the draft and arguably the best shooter in the draft. he has elite skills that help offset the slightly below average aspects of his game/physical makeup

He was the smallest player, lightest player (even after supposedly adding 10 pounds) had the smallest wingspan and smallest hand length at this weeks combine. That isn't 'slightly' below average, that is rock bottom. Adding in the other negative points that have been said already in this thread doesn't fill me with confidence in picking him because he can shoot and pass well. I would be highly disappointed if we targeted him with the 6th pick, with the state of the team we have we should be picking best player not best fit and at 6, Trae Young will not be the best player available.

And I've already said I think Sexton could very well go before him.

24 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Collin Sefrom doesn't get enough love on this board, and I'm at fault of this as much as anyone. That kid might not have superstar potential but he's a game changer with a floor that's probably 3 stories above Young's

It's because Sexton is an intangible based projection and that's mostly operating in just blind faith which is hard for draft guys to justify. 

6 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

This is actually a good tool to show why it doesn't make sense to draft Trae. There's 33 players on that list. Only 14 of those I'd be happy taking with the 6th pick in any draft. Of those 14, 7 had wingspans above 6'6, 4 were outlier level athletes either jumping or speed, 2 which don't fit length/athlete criteria are expected to contend for best point guard of all time discussions, then there's Mike Conley who is a good two way player. As Trae doesn't fit elite length, elite athleticism, or solid two way player criteria, the only want he lives up to 6th pick valuation is if he becomes a hall of fame caliber player or else he falls into the good 6th man, disappointing starter category like collison, barea, jameer, etc. 

I hope a big guy is available to us first and foremost.  But I do think we would be remiss in not bringing Trae in for an individual workout.  Put him against NBA players, some taller, some quicker and see how he shoots, how he drives, how he plays defense.  Only true way we will confirm what he can do at an elite level.  He may show he can play at this level (my inclination) or at least confirm what those who think not to pick him think about him.  Not doing that at all would not be due diligence!

Just reading that the Suns and Kings might pass on Luka. If this kid is special, I hope our management would find a way to go hard after him in a trade up.

40 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Just reading that the Suns and Kings might pass on Luka. If this kid is special, I hope our management would find a way to go hard after him in a trade up.

If he’s special then they won’t pass on him. 

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

It's not draft season until there's an anonymous report of an elite guy falling.

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

It's not draft season until there's an anonymous report of an elite guy falling.

I don’t think it’s crazy to think Luka at least falls to three. The Suns seem to like Ayton, and the Kings have a very weak front court. 

25 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

If he’s special then they won’t pass on him. 

Teams passed on Tatum and Mitchell just this past draft, so it happens. Meanwhile, the draft this year is the best crop of bigs in recent memory, which should make everything interesting. 

5 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Teams passed on Tatum and Mitchell just this past draft, so it happens. Meanwhile, the draft this year is the best crop of bigs in recent memory, which should make everything interesting. 

if Ayton, JJJ, and Bamba are off the boards, I'm not sure my heart could handle if we took Bagley. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crisby pancakes said:

He was the smallest player, lightest player (even after supposedly adding 10 pounds) had the smallest wingspan and smallest hand length at this weeks combine. That isn't 'slightly' below average, that is rock bottom. Adding in the other negative points that have been said already in this thread doesn't fill me with confidence in picking him because he can shoot and pass well. I would be highly disappointed if we targeted him with the 6th pick, with the state of the team we have we should be picking best player not best fit and at 6, Trae Young will not be the best player available.

And I've already said I think Sexton could very well go before him.

Not saying that we should take him but in spite of all that negativity, wasn't he the first person ever to lead the entire NCAA in both scoring AND assists? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I don’t think it’s crazy to think Luka at least falls to three. The Suns seem to like Ayton, and the Kings have a very weak front court. 

I think it's crazy that Luka falls to 3. Not with his coach being Phoenix's coach and Vlade Divac skewing toward the country formerly known as Yugoslavia's players. 

• Like 1