Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

5 hours ago, ML6 said:

This is one of the more frustrating back-and-forths I've been involved in.  That video shows precisely zero seconds of offensive initiation beyond straight line drives and pull-ups as described in the scouting reported (beating the dead horse to a pulp).  Again, nothing like Simmons.  I don't even dislike the guy, but the comparison that you've dug your heels in for is non-existent.  

It is frustrating because you ignore what you want to.  The very first part of the video was attacking the basket, dribbling and driving around players with what the narrator called a "right foot quick step".  The very last part was pushing in transition with the narrator commenting on Porter' Jr's athleticism, ability to handle the ball, and shoot deep.  Narrator also noted how the defense against Porter was to play off him to STOP his drive to the basket thus he turns to his pull up shots.  I also saw on the video he was on a team with Trae Young (thought I saw someone who resembled Jonathon Isaac on the opposing team) for those highlights.  I recollect his stats as 33 points, 12-16 shooting, 5-6 three pointers, 4-4 FT 6 RB, 3 assists, 1 steal and one block-pretty complete player.  Video showed even though he not bring the ball up the floor (I bet Trae Young did that) when the ball was in his hands he could drive to the basket, could stop and shoot a pull up jumper, could shoot 3 point shots if D played off him,  I think that is a pretty good indication of offense initiation.

2 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

[Robbins] Michael Porter Jr. said he's interviewed with the Knicks, Mavericks, 76ers, Suns, Cavaliers, Hawks, Grizzlies, Rockets and Clippers & is scheduled to interview with the Kings, Hornets, Thunder & Celtics tomorrow. He isn't scheduled to meet with the Magic this week.

I can't wait for draft night!

I can totally see Mavs owner Cuban wanting Michael Porter Jr. because he knows the value of the guy that could of gone #1 overall before the back issue.

Nailing 2 steals in 2 drafts in a row bodes well for his business mentality and that's gonna be my hot take until the draft.

Porter, Jr. not interviewing with us probably because he has been reading this site...lol.  Unless he gets a bad medical report looks like he will be gone by #6 which is good for us to get a big guy.  Then, as many on this site have advocated, we can manufacture a trade to get one of the Clipper's picks, I would at least engage Philly also (pick 10).

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

So is he Jimmer or a mental midget? 

Because I Don’t think anyone would condone his “antics” on the court but if you wouldn’t draft a player because he tripped players in college that’d be pretty stupid. Never been in any sort of real trouble. 

By you A) calling him Jimmer2.0 and than B) call him a mental midget, I clearly know you know little about the actual player. He’s gonna be a good value pick when’s he’s taken late first early second. 

Depends on what you value. I don’t value a guy who tried to win the biggest game of his career by ball hogging and not trusting his teammates. Maybe you like that type. 

I like Grayson Allen. I'd take him in the second. He's just a kid who wants to win so much sometimes he does stupid ****. If you provide him with the right environment he could flourish. Plus he's a superb athlete a good jump shooter and has an eye for a pass. He could be like a JR Smith which is value in round 2.

3 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

how Do we not wreck the east with this if all guys reach their potential!?

I'd be very optimistic. All 4 can hit a jumper and Isaac is the most impressive rookie I've seen on defense

5 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I'd be very optimistic. All 4 can hit a jumper and Isaac is the most impressive rookie I've seen on defense

more imporimportantly all 4 can hit a jumper off the dribble and catch and shoot, so deadly

1 minute ago, Magicfan1987 said:

more imporimportantly all 4 can hit a jumper off the dribble and catch and shoot, so deadly

Trae also doesn't get credit for how unselfish he is. Mario also has a great eye for passes, even if his dribbling needs work. And AG loves to catch lobs...

It would be too exciting so I'll try not to get my hopes up too much

• Upvote 1

I would wager that Trae's dire measurements probably took him out of the running with us given what our management likes. He's basically Mike Conley sized without the insane speed. I like his skills but the expectations put on him are so high that I'd rather another team take the risk. He's barely an NBA athlete with those stats.

I think Carter's our guy @ 6. I'm surprised Bagely crept into the Top 4 and not him--what Al Horford's doing to the Cavs should have teams salivating over Carter.

17 minutes ago, Bauncey Chillups said:

I would wager that Trae's dire measurements probably took him out of the running with us given what our management likes. He's basically Mike Conley sized without the insane speed. I like his skills but the expectations put on him are so high that I'd rather another team take the risk. He's barely an NBA athlete with those stats.

I think Carter's our guy @ 6. I'm surprised Bagely crept into the Top 4 and not him--what Al Horford's doing to the Cavs should have teams salivating over Carter.

Currys' measurements, lack of ideal athleticism and quickness, and defense were all critiques of his coming into the league however he's made the jump and become a star. If we think Trae can become a star we shouldn't pass on him because someone measures better because great measurements don't always equal success, like lackluster ones don't always equal failure. 

Agreed on Carter. At 6 he could be an ideal selection. He offers a high floor and decent enough ceiling to make his selection decent value. It would also complete our front court.

25 minutes ago, Mike1989 said:

Currys' measurements, lack of ideal athleticism and quickness, and defense were all critiques of his coming into the league however he's made the jump and become a star. If we think Trae can become a star we shouldn't pass on him because someone measures better because great measurements don't always equal success, like lackluster ones don't always equal failure. 

Agreed on Carter. At 6 he could be an ideal selection. He offers a high floor and decent enough ceiling to make his selection decent value. It would also complete our front court.

So who do you like in next years lottery?

• Like 1