Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, magicblue said:

You and Tracy can like him all you want, but his game is nothing like Ben Simmons...like at all

Just simply reporting the facts......."Porter’s long-term outlook includes some level of primary initiator equity, which is why he’s such a coveted prospect"

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/michael-porter-jr-injury-update-news-return-missouri-nba-draft-2018-scouting-report/n7wi3gzjg9xo14tom38hphov4

and this one on Simmons

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ben-Simmons-61928/

No they are not the same with each having some strengths the other does not have and vice versa with many overlapping similarities.  Check out Porter's stats and assessment in the America's championship U18 in Chile from 7/19-7/23 and then respond with something other than an opinion!

3 hours ago, ML6 said:

What opportunity has there been to see Porter’s ballhandling post high school? He played like 20 minutes in his college career and was basically a stiff spot up shooter in those minutes.  Your argument doesn’t make any sense. 

I did not have to look very far but here is just one example

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/The-Top-Ten-Performers-at-the-2016-FIBA-U18-Americas-Championship-5638/

Let me know if you give up after you read this!!!!

13 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

I did not have to look very far but here is just one example

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/The-Top-Ten-Performers-at-the-2016-FIBA-U18-Americas-Championship-5638/

Let me know if you give up after you read this!!!!

You know who was the leading scorer for the previous 2014 u18 team? Stanley Johnson. 2012? Julius randle and jarnell Stokes. 2010? Austin Rivers and Quincy Miller dominated the offense pushing Kyrie Irving to a distant third banana. 

I'm just confused by all of Original's exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!! It seems like he/she/sorry-i-don't-know-you is trying to make an argument that Michael Porter Jr. and Ben Simmons project to be similar players, but I can't tell weather the argument is just wrong, in a normal lack of nuanced understanding of basketball and/or misunderstanding of who Michael Porter Jr. is projected to be sort of way, or if it's WRONG!!!!!!!!!!-LIKE-WAY-WRONG!!!!!-YYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH-I'M-GOING-TO-ROLL-WITH-IT-NOW-SO-HARD-THAT-ENTHUSIASM-ALONE-WILL-MAKE-IT-SEEM-LESS-WRONG!!!!!!!!-YYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! kind of way. It's befuddling, really.

22 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

I'm just confused by all of Original's exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!! It seems like he/she/sorry-i-don't-know-you is trying to make an argument that Michael Porter Jr. and Ben Simmons project to be similar players, but I can't tell weather the argument is just wrong, in a normal lack of nuanced understanding of basketball and/or misunderstanding of who Michael Porter Jr. is projected to be sort of way, or if it's WRONG!!!!!!!!!!-LIKE-WAY-WRONG!!!!!-YYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH-I'M-GOING-TO-ROLL-WITH-IT-NOW-SO-HARD-THAT-ENTHUSIASM-ALONE-WILL-MAKE-IT-SEEM-LESS-WRONG!!!!!!!!-YYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! kind of way. It's befuddling, really.

I love exclamation points!!!! I am a he who deals in facts and assessments not just opinions with no merit.  Like Simmons as a projected #1 pick, Porter, Jr was also a projected # 1 pick.  Fact!!!  Like Simmons Porter was a SF/PF with some guard like skills.  Fact!!!  Simmons a better ball handler who needed to improve his shooting.  Fact!!!  Porter. Jr a better shooter who needed to improve his ball handling.  FACT!!!  Both projected to be potential offensive initiators!! Fact!!!!  I have no idea about Porter, Jr's injury and it's long term implications.  That is up to the medical folks to determine.  I do not recollect Philly projecting Simmons to be their PG until last summer or Brown of Boston to play SG until this year when they saw their progress and ability.  Porter. Jr may not play PG but may play SG or even point forward.  Until his injury this fall Porter was considered the #1 pick in the 2018 NBA draft.  Fact!!!  If his back injury is over and I think it is he has the skill set to be an All star type player!!!!  And we probably have a .04% chance to get him at #6!!!

56 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

You know who was the leading scorer for the previous 2014 u18 team? Stanley Johnson. 2012? Julius randle and jarnell Stokes. 2010? Austin Rivers and Quincy Miller dominated the offense pushing Kyrie Irving to a distant third banana. 

Thank you for dealing in facts.  But the point was to show that there is supporting documentation that Porter can handle the ball, not as well as Simmons, but he is not inept.  And he shoots much better than Simmons already.  Skill sets not identical but both pose different types of mismatches.  His injury is problematic but he couild be the steal of the draft if he falls to #6.

I think the goal should be, as it always should have been, to get a ball-in their-hands scorer who hopefully turns into a star. To me that would be guys like Porter, Sexton, maybe Young. I’m not really interested in guys like Bridges or Carter who will only be complementary players, even if the bust potential is higher 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

I love exclamation points!!!! I am a he who deals in facts and assessments not just opinions with no merit.  Like Simmons as a projected #1 pick, Porter, Jr was also a projected # 1 pick.  Fact!!!  Like Simmons Porter was a SF/PF with some guard like skills.  Fact!!!  Simmons a better ball handler who needed to improve his shooting.  Fact!!!  Porter. Jr a better shooter who needed to improve his ball handling.  FACT!!!  Both projected to be potential offensive initiators!! Fact!!!!  I have no idea about Porter, Jr's injury and it's long term implications.  That is up to the medical folks to determine.  I do not recollect Philly projecting Simmons to be their PG until last summer or Brown of Boston to play SG until this year when they saw their progress and ability.  Porter. Jr may not play PG but may play SG or even point forward.  Until his injury this fall Porter was considered the #1 pick in the 2018 NBA draft.  Fact!!!  If his back injury is over and I think it is he has the skill set to be an All star type player!!!!  And we probably have a .04% chance to get him at #6!!!

See, this is the problem with people these days: all the information in the world just a Google check away; but no ability to take those facts and apply them logically. I blame public schooling.

Via NBA.com

ESPN, Jonathan Givony 
- 1. Ayton, 2. Doncic, 3. Bagley, 4. Jackson, 5. Bamba, 6. Young, 7. Carter, 8. Porter, 9. Sexton, 10. Mikal Bridges

Ringer
- 1. Doncic, 2. Ayton, 3. Jackson, 4. Bamba, 5. Porter, 6. Bagley, 7. Miles Bridges, 8. Mikal Bridges, 9.Young, 10. Carter

NBAdraft.net
- 1. Ayton, 2. Doncic, 3. Bagley, 4. Jackson, 5. Porter, 6. Carter, 7. Young, 8. Bamba, 9. Mikal Bridges, 10. Sexton

SI.com, Jeremy Woo
- 1. Ayton, 2. Doncic, 3. Jackson, 4. Bagley, 5. Bamba, 6. Carter, 7. Porter, 8. Young, 9. Mikal Bridges, 10. Miles Bridges

USA Today
- 1. Ayton, 2. Doncic, 3. Bagley, 4. Jackson, 5. Bamba, 6. Porter, 7. Young, 8. Carter, 9. Sexton, 10. Mikal Bridges

SB Nation
- 1. Doncic, 2. Ayton, 3. Jackson, 4. Bagley, 5. Porter, 6. Young, 7. Bamba, 8. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, 9. Carter, 10. Mikal Bridges

Bleacher Report, Jonathan Wasserman
- 1. Doncic, 2. Ayton, 3. Bagley, 4. Jackson, 5. Bamba, 6. Young, 7. Mikal Bridges, 8. Porter, 9. Miles Bridges, 10. Lonnie Walker

Net Scouts, Carl Berman
- 1. Ayton, 2. Doncic, 3. Bagley, 4. Jackson, 5. Bamba, 6. Carter, 7. Porter, 8. Young, 9. Sexton, 10. Miles Bridges

CBS Sports, Gary Parrish
- 1. Ayton, 2. Doncic, 3. Bagley, 4. Porter, 5. Jackson, 6. Young, 7. Bamba, 8. Sexton, 9. Carter, 10. Mikal Bridges

Basketball Insiders, Steve Kyler
- 1. Ayton, 2. Doncic, 3. Bagley, 4. Porter, 5. Jackson, 6. Young, 7. Bamba, 8. Mikal Bridges, 9. Carter, 10. Miles Bridges

Most mocked player: Trae Young, 5 times out of 10 mocks

Most passed on player: Mohamed Bamba, 4 times out of 10 mocks / runner up was Michael Porter, 3 times out of 10 mocks

I think a lot of people are now starting to think we are going to take Trae Young with the sixth pick and that does make sense. It gives us our new starting point guard that can shoot, score and make plays. I would be very happy to see us come away from the draft with him.

The Ringer's mock would pose an interesting choice for us if Bagley is there at six. He is not really an ideal fit for a starting center, nor is Isaac or Gordon. So that will leave us with a decision to make at some point in the future over which one we would build around alongside Bagley, unless of course we do play Bagley at center and he can make the transition to the league playing there. Otherwise it will either be Isaac and Bagley, or Gordon and Bagley, we build around. I suppose one benefit of this mock is that we could potentially try to package Gordon (or alternatively Isaac if we really want Gordon long term) to try and get the answer at point guard in return. 

I'm expecting us to end up with Bamba / JJJ and I certainly wouldn't be mad. Weltman probably had to change his pants when he found out about Bamba's measurements

• Like 1

NBAdraft.net most up to date mock has Young going to us at 6, Carter to the Bulls at 7, and Bamba to the Cavaliers at 8. So it must have been amended since the nba.com article...

As for passing on Bamba, we tend to do that in mocks in favour of Young. I don’t see that as a bad thing. It’s a tough decision our front office will have on our hands if it comes down to Bamba or Young. If we want to build around length and defense, Bamba is the pick. If we want a more nba ready prospect that can boost our play making, scoring and shooting then Young should be the pick. I don’t envy their choice but I would go for Young over Bamba.