Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

4 hours ago, Ibn Battuta said:

I like Porter for the same reason. His versatility means you can play him up or down, he can bring the ball up or set up at the wing, he can run the offense or spot up. His handles are good enough that he can play any position on the court. If we wanna talk about the next step in positionless basketball then we have to look at Porter. 

hard not to agree

No thanks on Porter, drafting him is a huge risk since he had surgery on his spine in his back and if he gets hurt again, he could be paralyzed, I hope Magic will pass on him

Is there any truth to these comments? Or just opinions? Guesses? From what some users were saying a while back in this thread is that the surgery may not be as bad as what people think. As soon as people hear backs or necks they assume that there is a huge risk. It may not be the case. I know nothing of his injury so I'm not on either side, but I'd trust our FO if they see his reports, see him in workouts and think he's the best player going forward for our franchise. They are better at working these things out than anyone on a basketball forum.

Draft Trae Young who turns into a better version of Curry (why think small?), somehow trade Vuc, Fournier and Biz, finish 9th in the East, win the lottery and draft Bol Bol, championships.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Boss said:

Draft Trae Young who turns into a better version of Curry (why think small?), somehow trade Vuc, Fournier and Biz, finish 9th in the East, win the lottery and draft Bol Bol, championships.

I rather draft Bamba and get Okobo with our second. No more lottery.

• Like 1

It was just a bit of fun. But I don't see a good scenario where we are not a lottery team next season (outside of some serious luck). What I mean by good scenario is that I think the only way we could possibly make it is by keeping Fournier and Ross and probably Vuc too, maybe signing a vet FA and trying to sneak into the playoffs. I think that scenario will be worse for us long term (Fournier/Ross/Vuc could be turned into some sort of combo of a pick and young player/salary dump, signing a vet to push for playoffs next season ties up money we could save for when we are actually ready to make a push).

So overall, I think we will be in the lottery again next season, and I'm OK with that as long as we start to build something, get chemistry and team culture going, that will be a great building block going forward.

2 hours ago, The Boss said:

Is there any truth to these comments? Or just opinions? Guesses? From what some users were saying a while back in this thread is that the surgery may not be as bad as what people think. As soon as people hear backs or necks they assume that there is a huge risk. It may not be the case. I know nothing of his injury so I'm not on either side, but I'd trust our FO if they see his reports, see him in workouts and think he's the best player going forward for our franchise. They are better at working these things out than anyone on a basketball forum.

the guy who mentioned paralysis has no idea what he's talking about. 

He played with the injury for two years. If he managed to play with it for that long, you can assume that he couldn't tolerate the pain any longer and opted for the surgery. The surgery itself is a small incision to remove the nerves that cause the pain. Compared to other surgeries (ACL, MCL, Achilles, Meniscus, etc.) it is minor, although it is still surgery so it carries risks. Like you said, if he shares his medical information and the team gives a clean bill of health, I have no problem drafting him. Mizzou coach calls him a KG/KD hybrid; obviously that's too far but it gives you an idea of how well he can move at his size/frame, and how versatile he is. Maybe a closer comp is Prime Hedo Turkoglu with a higher ceiling?

2 hours ago, The Boss said:

Bol Bol is garbage

8 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Bol Bol is garbage

Fair call, to be honest I haven't seen a thing of him, just saw a mock once saying how good he's going to be. The post was just a bit of fun. How about we change the end to: draft RJ Barrett to fix our SG hole and sign the best FA center we can once Biz and other contracts are gone. Trae - RJ - Isaac - Gordon - FA

3 hours ago, The Boss said:

I like your scenario, including the trades that would be key, but championships claims may be a bit premature.  To me Boston is the gold standard as of today, hold the Kings #1 pick net year (could be used in a trade), have a better than average shot of winning the Spurs K. Leonard sweepstakes (if it happens), get Irving and Hayward back next year and could keep Rozier.  The above would be a great start but more work would have to be done.  That is why our building plan by the FO will take some patience.  

1 hour ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Bol Bol is garbage

If a 5 star, 4th best high school player in the nation and #1 rated center, top 10 (as high as 3) projected NBA pick next year, is garbage, what would you consider non-garbage!  Besides if we draft him and give him the #8, his nickname is BB-8, a marketing bonanza!!!!!  lol!!

5 hours ago, Magicman28 said:

I'm not touching Porter with that back.

Two words--Joel Embiid.  Evaluating Porter will require due diligence.  Could be high risk, high reward but maybe not!  If we stay at 5 and he is deemed medically healthy to play we have no worries because he will be gone by 5.  Without the injury he is probably the #1 pick of this draft.  Even with it he may only drop to 6th or 7th (sort of mirrors Embiid's projection) but I think he will go 3rd or 4th and we will endure another "Porzingis" moment!!!!