Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

16 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Draft Trae Young and re-sign Hezonja. Have a good day

Hezonja is not re-signing here, why re-sign when he can go to another team and be a bigger super star and get more money?

Not that this is what I want but thought it's worth discussing. What do you guys think about drafting Porter and matching any Gordon offer. Give porter a redshirt season or maybe better play him 30 odd games in the back-end of the season after he's been with our NBA doctors and physio's and conditioned himself in an NBA way and done an extensive re-hab because you can never be too careful with injuries in area's like the back.

This will give us an opportunity to trade Gordon before the deadline or next off season if it's our true intention, and get something back for him instead of letting him walk this off-season.

We could move on from Vuc and Fournier and maybe even trade Ross and go into a little bit deeper re-build (FO did say they might make moves that might help us a few seasons down the track). We will be in the bottom 5 again, I'm not sure a lot of our fan base could handle it, but it would give us the chance to go after a PG/SG/C with our pick next season (address whatever we don't draft through a possible Gordon trade or FA) and start our core from there. Porter coming back fully fit the following season and we start pushing for playoffs.

It could give us the chance to experiment with line-ups of Porter/Gordon/Isaac towards the end of the season when Isaac is a little stronger, the league is going small and we could test it out. Isaac would still be too weak for some teams but we should be able to get an idea if it's something that could actually work long term (Isaac will never be able to guard SOME centers but we could have a bigger back-up center and just play them more minutes against certain teams). There's a chance (good chance) that Isaac won't be able to play center down the track but it could be worth exploring in another re-building season.

The FO considering letting Gordon walk this offseason shows that they could be worried that he could be untradeable if he signs a max and we match. I think in any scenario they'd have nothing to worry about because he's still real young with lots of potential. With the above scenario though, I really can't see him being untradeble if we get rid of Fournier/Vuc/Ross and sit out Porter most of the season, Gordon will have to do a lot and likely pad his averages quite a lot so he should be easy to move if it's what we want long term.

As I said in my opening line, it's not what I want to happen with this draft but thought we could discuss.

5 hours ago, Odin said:

I think the value after pick 4-5 is flat enough for most of the rest of the lotto (I.E., the talent has enough strengths and weaknesses that it is hard to truly determine who will end up being the best or worst out of that group) that, if we are able to trade down, it might be worth it to get two players of that group rather than one. If we are at pick 6, 7 or (gasp) 8, and a team like the clippers are willing to trade those picks to go up, I think we should do it.

If we have a top 3 pick and can get one of Doncic, Ayton, JJJ or Bamba, we should hold on to it. (At pick five it is really a toss up to me is Bamba is likely still available or not.)

I can't agree, Mikal Bridges, if he's available you HAVE to take him at 8, he's light years ahead of everyone else in that range for the NBA

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Odin said:

I think the value after pick 4-5 is flat enough for most of the rest of the lotto (I.E., the talent has enough strengths and weaknesses that it is hard to truly determine who will end up being the best or worst out of that group) that, if we are able to trade down, it might be worth it to get two players of that group rather than one. If we are at pick 6, 7 or (gasp) 8, and a team like the clippers are willing to trade those picks to go up, I think we should do it.

If we have a top 3 pick and can get one of Doncic, Ayton, JJJ or Bamba, we should hold on to it. (At pick five it is really a toss up to me is Bamba is likely still available or not.)

If we can't get the guy we want at 5-7 I would strongly consider trading our pick to the Clips for #12 & #13 and grab SGA or Sexton and one of the centers, Williams or Mitchell. If we can somehow snag a mid to early 20s pick in a deal for Vuc we could grab another PG/SG like Milton or Brunson before the 2nd round.

3 hours ago, The Boss said:

Not that this is what I want but thought it's worth discussing. What do you guys think about drafting Porter and matching any Gordon offer. Give porter a redshirt season or maybe better play him 30 odd games in the back-end of the season after he's been with our NBA doctors and physio's and conditioned himself in an NBA way and done an extensive re-hab because you can never be too careful with injuries in area's like the back.

This will give us an opportunity to trade Gordon before the deadline or next off season if it's our true intention, and get something back for him instead of letting him walk this off-season.

We could move on from Vuc and Fournier and maybe even trade Ross and go into a little bit deeper re-build (FO did say they might make moves that might help us a few seasons down the track). We will be in the bottom 5 again, I'm not sure a lot of our fan base could handle it, but it would give us the chance to go after a PG/SG/C with our pick next season (address whatever we don't draft through a possible Gordon trade or FA) and start our core from there. Porter coming back fully fit the following season and we start pushing for playoffs.

It could give us the chance to experiment with line-ups of Porter/Gordon/Isaac towards the end of the season when Isaac is a little stronger, the league is going small and we could test it out. Isaac would still be too weak for some teams but we should be able to get an idea if it's something that could actually work long term (Isaac will never be able to guard SOME centers but we could have a bigger back-up center and just play them more minutes against certain teams). There's a chance (good chance) that Isaac won't be able to play center down the track but it could be worth exploring in another re-building season.

The FO considering letting Gordon walk this offseason shows that they could be worried that he could be untradeable if he signs a max and we match. I think in any scenario they'd have nothing to worry about because he's still real young with lots of potential. With the above scenario though, I really can't see him being untradeble if we get rid of Fournier/Vuc/Ross and sit out Porter most of the season, Gordon will have to do a lot and likely pad his averages quite a lot so he should be easy to move if it's what we want long term.

As I said in my opening line, it's not what I want to happen with this draft but thought we could discuss.

If Porter is healthy and passes all medical tests and has the type of individual workouts that he is capable of, I would love your scenario asssuming we stay at 5.  To be able to put 6"10" Porter (with guardlike skills) on the floor with 6'11"' Isaac and 6'9" Gordon who could play 2, 3, and 4 or 3, 4, and 5.  Biggest challenge is fitting them into the right positions on the floor.  But what a challenge to have.  I think it wouild be wise to match whatever Gordon is offered, even if it is the max.  He is still just 23 y/o, has shown flashes of  being a dominant player (at least two 40 point games I believe) and he now deserves a chance.  I do not want to see another "Oldadipo" moment anytime soon!  

9 hours ago, Odin said:

I still think this draft is 7, possibly 8 deep in players who have enough strengths to make us better so I keep the pick and take one of the following 7---Doncic, Ayton (get lucky with the lottery!), then Bagley/Bamba/Porter/JJJ/Young (whoever we rank as the best at the time we draft) and throw in Mikal Bridges as a wild card.  Each of those players has enough game to improve our roster significantly.  It is likely we are trading some talent (Fournier/Ross/Vucevic) so we are a couple years away and will probably be in the lottery again next year especially if we get younger.  But I expect next year to be the last lottery season for us.  We should have enough talent and should have some money in summer after 2019 season to spend on FA's.  Will need all that time to get the roster to compete with Boston and Philly!!!

11 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

I can't agree, Mikal Bridges, if he's available you HAVE to take him at 8, he's light years ahead of everyone else in that range for the NBA

I like MIkal a lot. he's in my top 5 for us.

1 hour ago, Nyce_1 said:

I like MIkal a lot. he's in my top 5 for us.

Bridges reminds me of Otto Porter. He'd be a great role player to have on this team with Bridges-Gordon-Isaac switching everything 2-4 defensively. I'd just be a little disappointed to come out of this draft without getting a guy who has an "Alpha" personality and the skills to match. On the flipside, I do like adding winners to this franchise.

Here is the good news for the day.....We are NOT the Toronto Raptors.......Brutal day for their fans.   Also shows how some things never change.  MIsmatches are always the key...raptors had no answer for LeBron!!!  Here is hoping we draft the best mismatch of this draft!!!

11 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

If Porter is healthy and passes all medical tests and has the type of individual workouts that he is capable of, I would love your scenario asssuming we stay at 5.  To be able to put 6"10" Porter (with guardlike skills) on the floor with 6'11"' Isaac and 6'9" Gordon who could play 2, 3, and 4 or 3, 4, and 5. 

I like Porter for the same reason. His versatility means you can play him up or down, he can bring the ball up or set up at the wing, he can run the offense or spot up. His handles are good enough that he can play any position on the court. If we wanna talk about the next step in positionless basketball then we have to look at Porter.