Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

Great article on Porter's development!  If he passes health tests he needs to be on our watch list.  My nephew said he heard/read Porter will only work out for the top 5 teams in the lottery.  Anyone else hear that?

http://www.stack.com/a/freshman-phenom-michael-porter-jr-has-been-training-for-positionless-basketball-his-entire-life

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

No way Doncic falls outside the top 3. I'd even say top 2 but I won't risk it haha

I'll say it.  Doncic should go #1 and will be gone by #2 at the latest!   Doncic has the best overall game (length, athleticism and shooting/scoring) for today's NBA.  That will not be ignored in the first two picks.   It is why, before Porter's injury, he was listed as the #1 or #2 pick in this year's draft.   Look at what Tatum is doing for Boston and to Philly!    In fact an announcer said Tatum had to learn man to man defense in the NBA because he played zone defense at Duke and has adjusted quite well.  That speaks volume for Bagley's potential!  Hope we stay at 5 at the worst and we will have choices and will get a good player, for sure!

5 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

Great article on Porter's development!  If he passes health tests he needs to be on our watch list.  My nephew said he heard/read Porter will only work out for the top 5 teams in the lottery.  Anyone else hear that?

http://www.stack.com/a/freshman-phenom-michael-porter-jr-has-been-training-for-positionless-basketball-his-entire-life

definitely going to have to read this. After reading so much about Gordon possibly leaving, if Porter is super healthy , I've allowed my mind to open up to pondering his arrival

16 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

definitely going to have to read this. After reading so much about Gordon possibly leaving, if Porter is super healthy , I've allowed my mind to open up to pondering his arrival

I would hate to see us lose Gordon and get nothing in return and he can't really leave since we can match any offer but I could see a scenario where he is not in a Magic uniform next year. He will probably get a max offer from someone (4 year deal starting at $25 million---average of around $27 million per year) which we will have to match.  That is a lot of money to allocate to one player.   Big guys available in this draft (Bagley, JJJ and Porter if healthy) all seem to have skillsets and potential better than Gordon.  FO has a major decision to make on Gordon.  My instinct tells me we will match but I will not be surprised by anything!

Magical so it's probably BS but I want to believe, Zhaire Smith would also be a great pick in this range.

https://twitter.com/MagicalNBA/status/993541176786673664

Early rumor - Look for the Magic to try and target the Clippers for one of their pick, which are back at 12 and 13. My guess here is the Magic could offer a player like Evan plus their 2nd rounders. I believe the targets there would be SGA, Miles Bridges and Lonnie Walker.

I think the value after pick 4-5 is flat enough for most of the rest of the lotto (I.E., the talent has enough strengths and weaknesses that it is hard to truly determine who will end up being the best or worst out of that group) that, if we are able to trade down, it might be worth it to get two players of that group rather than one. If we are at pick 6, 7 or (gasp) 8, and a team like the clippers are willing to trade those picks to go up, I think we should do it.

If we have a top 3 pick and can get one of Doncic, Ayton, JJJ or Bamba, we should hold on to it. (At pick five it is really a toss up to me is Bamba is likely still available or not.)

15 minutes ago, Odin said:

I think the value after pick 4-5 is flat enough for most of the rest of the lotto (I.E., the talent has enough strengths and weaknesses that it is hard to truly determine who will end up being the best or worst out of that group) that, if we are able to trade down, it might be worth it to get two players of that group rather than one. If we are at pick 6, 7 or (gasp) 8, and a team like the clippers are willing to trade those picks to go up, I think we should do it.

If we have a top 3 pick and can get one of Doncic, Ayton, JJJ or Bamba, we should hold on to it. (At pick five it is really a toss up to me is Bamba is likely still available or not.)

If the talent level is flat then what would be the incentive for anyone to trade up?

1 hour ago, Jason Funderburker said:

If the talent level is flat then what would be the incentive for anyone to trade up?

A few possible reasons:

1. To choose first out of that lot. They might have similar chances to succeed/fail but not exactly the same.

2. Just because they might have a similar median output, doesn't mean they have the same ceiling/ floor. A team might value the high floor guy better than the high ceiling guy.

3. Fit. Choosing earlier allows you to pick the guy that fits best on your team. If you just missed the playoffs, you are more likely to just need to fill one spot.

4. Number of spots on team available. The team might not have enough room on their squad for 2 new rookies.

5. Money reasons. The 5th pick costs less in salary than any two lotto picks. (This might not be a major concern, but could still factor)

Basically, as I see it, the team with the multiple lower picks does it to potentially have their choice of a possibly higher potential guy, while the team with the higher pick does it because it might be more beneficial to just add more young potential to the team even if a lot of the choice of who will be remaining is taken out of their hands.