Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

My big question with Isaac is "can a wing have a defensive impact like a center". You see guys like Roberson and Kawhi make impact by locking down a guy but they don't really make help side plays. Isaac does. So what's that going to look like? Gerald Wallace is the only real example of that and it didn't have a significant impact on Charlotte. 

26 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

My big question with Isaac is "can a wing have a defensive impact like a center". You see guys like Roberson and Kawhi make impact by locking down a guy but they don't really make help side plays. Isaac does. So what's that going to look like? Gerald Wallace is the only real example of that and it didn't have a significant impact on Charlotte. 

I honestly can't wait to see more of Isaac, he's a defensive unicorn and his defensive impact may very well be unprecedented in the history of the NBA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm sorry that came off as condescending. That wasn't my intention

I just wanna let everyone know that ?4thewin doesn't have what it takes to be condescending......... ..............

27 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

I honestly can't wait to see more of Isaac, he's a defensive unicorn and his defensive impact may very well be unprecedented in the history of the NBA.

I agree, I just hope that he/we can develop his body to be able to play a lot more games without injuries.

51 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Great question and gets to the core of what the Magic FO and coaching staff need to address.  Where and how do we play Isaac.  Based on our team he best fits as SF or small ball center to create maximum mismatches.  Can he do that?   What I hope is that the Magic do not play "yo yo" with him.  Develop (one criticism many on this site have had of the Magic in general) him where he will grow as a player.  Somebody ask Hammond what the plan was for Giannis after year 1(his stats were not exactly All Star material at that point) and see what Isaac can become.  Patience is a virtue at this point  (Giannis's numbers not All Star like even after his second year) and we would be prudent to reserve judgement on a 20 year old kid until he has a chance (Not exactly something the Magic have been good at over the years--hoping it will be different with Isaac)

10 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I agree, I just hope that he/we can develop his body to be able to play a lot more games without injuries.

if last season he gained 12 pounds then this off-season he should be able to put on another 8 easily to get to 230 which I believe is the weight they want him playing at. 

21 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

if last season he gained 12 pounds then this off-season he should be able to put on another 8 easily to get to 230 which I believe is the weight they want him playing at. 

I'm more concerned about his ankles than his weight. If he gains weight but his ankles don't get stronger how does that help?

6 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I'm more concerned about his ankles than his weight. If he gains weight but his ankles don't get stronger how does that help?

how Do you strengthen ankles?

1 minute ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

23 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

@ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS Me too, but that is a risk you take with a prospect like Isaac. Teams get excited when they see players with these measurements, but tall slender athletes can be prone to injuries because even if they boost their size to become physically more imposing, their joints, tendons and ligaments stay the same. The human body can only manage to sustain so much before those joints, tendons and ligaments give. For example, the ACL connects the femur to the tibia, that ligament is stretched significantly in taller athletes. When you consider how some of these bigs fly around the court these days at high speed, changing directions (etc), it is no surprise to see bigs like Porzingis suffer an injury like he did. It is only a matter of time before something gives. 

So to bring this back to Isaac. It would be nice for him to add weight to his frame and possibly play at that 230lb mark like @Magicfan1987 suggested, but with his slender frame and troublesome ankles it might not be in his best interest to add too much weight to that frame and push it further than it really needs to go. Granted he does need to add some size in order to better deal with certain match ups, but the flip side of that is add too much weight and it can cause problems injury wise. The people best in the know will be the training staff and hopefully they make the right decision. 

7 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Pizza and wings should do the trick :)

All he needs to do is spend a week or so with me and I’ll put some weight on him. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1