Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

11 minutes ago, Mike1989 said:

Not really. I prefer Bamba to JJJ. I think Bamba offers a higher floor and still has a fairly high ceiling, and if he develops at the offensive end he could be special. JJJ might have more upside according to some and is a better shooter, but he has a lower floor from what I've seen to Bamba. For me I'd rather take Bamba because he offers a higger floor and the difference between them ceiling wise isn't significant enough for me to prefer JJJ. I see JJJ as another Chriss or Vonleh. 

Neither Chris's nor vonleh played defense similar to jjj. 

How can you look at that skill diversity and not see something special?

Bamba moved into 3rd for me. Admittedly he and JJJ are probably going to flip flop based on mindless hype.

Doncic

Ayton

Bamba

JJJ 

Everyone else.

9 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I really like jjj. Bamba is just who I've turned my attention to as I'm pretty confident we'll have the opportunity to draft him

What do you see as the pros and cons of each, as they both look to fit a similar role?

Here is my amateur attempt to compare them based upon what we know.

Size: Bamba > JJJ

Athleticism: JJJ > Bamba

Overall defensive instincts: JJJ > Bamba

Interior defense: JJJ = Bamba

Rebounding: Bamba > JJJ

Switchability: JJJ > Bamba

Perimeter defense: JJJ > Bamba

Foul avoidance: Bamba > JJJ

Shooting/scoring: JJJ > Bamba

Ball handling: JJJ > Bamba

Passing: JJJ > Bamba

Over all, I think JJJ is clearly a step above Bamba currently, though both could potentially have top tier DPOY potential. JJJ looks to have more of an impact on the offensive side though, especially with Bamba's shot still a work in progress. Imagining either of them next to Gordon and Isaac is a pretty awesome picture.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

This is the most important distinguisher

What about offensive role? It looks like JJJ also has more facets to his offensive game which should help the team more on that end, even if neither is given a large role offensively.

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Bamba moved into 3rd for me. Admittedly he and JJJ are probably going to flip flop based on mindless hype.

Doncic

Ayton

Bamba

JJJ 

Everyone else.

If above occurs.......Hello Trae Young.......Welcome to the Orlando Magic!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Odin said:

What about offensive role? It looks like JJJ also has more facets to his offensive game which should help the team more on that end, even if neither is given a large role offensively.

Sure. But the way I look at jjj

From what I can see, JJJ is a freakin' unicorn if he can put it together. I think if we have the chance to draft him (assuming we're not also looking at Doncic), we should. Maybe he doesn't work out. But he is unique in his upside. Very few guys even have the potential to be super-athletic bigs who can shoot at a high percentage from deep and also be elite defensively protecting the rim. That's special.

1 minute ago, Justin Jaudon said:

From what I can see, JJJ is a freakin' unicorn if he can put it together. I think if we have the chance to draft him (assuming we're not also looking at Doncic), we should. Maybe he doesn't work out. But he is unique in his upside. Very few guys even have the potential to be super-athletic bigs who can shoot at a high percentage from deep and also be elite defensively protecting the rim. That's special.

That's why I like him over Ayton. Ayton is nice but he plays like Tim Duncan on offense and is lost on defense. So like, cool, what are we going to do? Run a first option post up offense through Ayton with counters in the mid range. There's some value in that but it's basically Lamarcus Aldridge. Which again, great if that guy falls to you but not over something potentially special. 

24 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

That's why I like him over Ayton. Ayton is nice but he plays like Tim Duncan on offense and is lost on defense. So like, cool, what are we going to do? Run a first option post up offense through Ayton with counters in the mid range. There's some value in that but it's basically Lamarcus Aldridge. Which again, great if that guy falls to you but not over something potentially special. 

Any chance JJJ goes first because of that?