Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

3 hours ago, MagicFan1234 said:

True but point guard is a bigger need though so Magic is going to take Trae which is my guess

I suppose it comes down to which position they think they can get by with.

Do they think they need a premier point guard to run their system and are happy with a so-so center (ie Warriors)? Someone like Trae can score and rack up assists. We've got Biz and Birch, plus whoever else we draft, sign or acquire to play a supporting role grabbing rebounds and blocking shots. 

Or do they think they want a dominant center to complete their front court with Gordon and Isaac, while utilizing a so-so point guard like Augustin? This season Augustin's per 36 was nearly 16 and 6, which is acceptable. If we got veteran play out of him and perhaps added a guard prospect to develop that could be an alternative.

I personally think we need to land the stud point guard, but I can see the appeal in getting that stud center.

Has anyone watched much of Khyri Thomas?

I have this feeling we’re going to turn our 2 second rounders into a first and he could be available late. I read he is a 3 and D point and one site had him nailed as a young Jrue Holiday 

4 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I actually don't think that Biyambo is that bad. I don't think he is worth $17M, obviously, but remember he got that when every team had money due to the rapid increase in the cap, and was in a spending frenzy. He plays tough defense, rotates fairly well, and dramatically improved his free throw and 8-12 foot shooting. I don't think there would be half as much anti-Biyombo posting if his contract was in the $7-11M range. I actually did like the Biyambo/Speights and Birch/Speights line-ups that we played, because one of the opposing bigs had to play Speights outside, and both Biyambo and Birch are sufficiently active inside on the boards. 

Valid poiint and biyombo is 6'9" with an impressive 7'7" wingpsan and 9'3" standing reach. Nice numbers  Adding Bamba and you get  a7'0" player, a 7'9" wingspan and and a 9'6" standing reach.  Able to deflect more shots and make shots altered.  Now if we do not get Bamba listen to this,  Bol Bol, Manute Bol's son a "one and done next year has these measurements--7'2', 7'9" wingspan and 9'7" standing reach.  If we get Bamba or Bol Bol all debate about center goes away!!!  I would gladly be patient if we cannot get Bamba this year but can get Bol Bol nexxt year!!!

24 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

Valid poiint and biyombo is 6'9" with an impressive 7'7" wingpsan and 9'3" standing reach. Nice numbers  Adding Bamba and you get  a7'0" player, a 7'9" wingspan and and a 9'6" standing reach.  Able to deflect more shots and make shots altered.  Now if we do not get Bamba listen to this,  Bol Bol, Manute Bol's son a "one and done next year has these measurements--7'2', 7'9" wingspan and 9'7" standing reach.  If we get Bamba or Bol Bol all debate about center goes away!!!  I would gladly be patient if we cannot get Bamba this year but can get Bol Bol nexxt year!!!

Problem is I don’t think we’re going to be this low in the lottery next year. We had an insane amount of injuries this year that enabled us to be where we’re at so I don’t think we’ll be in the bol bol range

5 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I actually don't think that Biyambo is that bad. I don't think he is worth $17M, obviously, but remember he got that when every team had money due to the rapid increase in the cap, and was in a spending frenzy. He plays tough defense, rotates fairly well, and dramatically improved his free throw and 8-12 foot shooting. I don't think there would be half as much anti-Biyombo posting if his contract was in the $7-11M range. I actually did like the Biyambo/Speights and Birch/Speights line-ups that we played, because one of the opposing bigs had to play Speights outside, and both Biyambo and Birch are sufficiently active inside on the boards. 

The difference between Biyombo and Bamba is coordination (Bamba has shown ok passing, can dribble a couple times without everyone holding their breath, has solid hands) and footwork (Bamba sometimes looks good sliding his feet on the perimeter, sometimes looks ok. So he figures to be about average among centers when switched onto a guard on the perimeter. Biyombo was terrible this last year at that. New defensive matchup data has him among the worst centers in the league at switching onto guards. Vucevic was equally as bad).

1 hour ago, WarDamnMagic said:

Has anyone watched much of Khyri Thomas?

I have this feeling we’re going to turn our 2 second rounders into a first and he could be available late. I read he is a 3 and D point and one site had him nailed as a young Jrue Holiday 

Not sure he's a point guard in the NBA. 

There's so many decent but flawed point guard prospects one of them is going to be something. Just gotta figure out which one. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Not sure he's a point guard in the NBA. 

There's so many decent but flawed point guard prospects one of them is going to be something. Just gotta figure out which one. 

neither is holiday these playoffs

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Sometimes it doesn't mean anything, but Mo Bamba certainly talks the talk. Very eloquent

That was really impressive. 

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I’m starting to feel better about Bamba than JJJ and maybe even Ayton... am I crazy?

13 minutes ago, WarDamnMagic said:

I’m starting to feel better about Bamba than JJJ and maybe even Ayton... am I crazy?

Not really. I prefer Bamba to JJJ. I think Bamba offers a higher floor and still has a fairly high ceiling, and if he develops at the offensive end he could be special. JJJ might have more upside according to some and is a better shooter, but he has a lower floor from what I've seen to Bamba. For me I'd rather take Bamba because he offers a higger floor and the difference between them ceiling wise isn't significant enough for me to prefer JJJ. I see JJJ as another Chriss or Vonleh.