Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

10 minutes ago, Odin said:

Vuch only has one year left on his contract. It would be stupid not to take Bamba because of a player on an expiring contract.

True but point guard is a bigger need though so Magic is going to take Trae which is my guess

3 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

True but point guard is a bigger need though so Magic is going to take Trae which is my guess

Maybe if we end up with the 6th pick or worse.

3 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

Drafting for need in the top 10 is not good.

37 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

Point guard is not a bigger need. Plus, always take the best player available, especially at the top of the draft.

14 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

There's always another chance to find a point guard. The NBA is up to their knees in competent point guards. And competent starting point guards are pretty easy to find outside of the top 5 in the draft. There's been 15-19 solid starting point guards drafted outside of the top 7 over the last 10 drafts (because I feel like you could probably trade up from the late lotto/mid teens to pick 8 in every draft if you really wanted to. 

There's only 10 solid starter mobile rim protecting centers in the same period drafted 8 or later and that's including Larry Sanders who is out of the league and Hassan Whiteside who might be out of the league soon the way he's trending.

• Upvote 1

One thing about Bamba that I like is his FT shooting. He shot around 65% and his shot doesn't look broken. So even in his rookie season I imagine, even with no offensive game, his size alone will force teams to either foul or give up a dunk. 

34 minutes ago, Odin said:

Point guard is not a bigger need. Plus, always take the best player available, especially at the top of the draft.

But the problem is, who is the BPA, especially given how many questions there seem to be about every one of them this year. Most of the mock drafts have Ayton and Doncic as the first two players off the board. After that I have seen Jackson and Bagley usually the next two off the board. That leaves us the choice of Bamba, Young, Porter, Carter, Mikal Bridges, Sexton if we are picking in the 5-8 range. 

Bamba - offense is work-in-progress, sometimes plays passive, iffy ball-handling

Young - size, turnovers, and defense?

Porter - defense and back????

Carter - slow feet, rotations, athleticism?

Bridges - capable 3 and D roll player, older than the others, upside?

Sexton - outside shooting?

Best Player Available depends at least in part on what you value more, offense or defense; and then there is the elusive "upside".

22 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

But the problem is, who is the BPA, especially given how many questions there seem to be about every one of them this year. Most of the mock drafts have Ayton and Doncic as the first two players off the board. After that I have seen Jackson and Bagley usually the next two off the board. That leaves us the choice of Bamba, Young, Porter, Carter, Mikal Bridges, Sexton if we are picking in the 5-8 range. 

Bamba - offense is work-in-progress, sometimes plays passive, iffy ball-handling

Young - size, turnovers, and defense?

Porter - defense and back????

Carter - slow feet, rotations, athleticism?

Bridges - capable 3 and D roll player, older than the others, upside?

Sexton - outside shooting?

Best Player Available depends at least in part on what you value more, offense or defense; and then there is the elusive "upside".

Fair, all of drafting is based on the idea of up-side and what the player can be in the NBA though.

Plus, it isn't like center isn't an area of concern. Vuch and Biyombo are probably the most criticized players still on the roster.

I also think the "Bamba" prototype is a player we have often seen be successful before- super long and tall big man with above average athleticism (he moves pretty well though he isn't in the upper echelon of athletes in the league, he also isn't a stiff) and good defensive instincts. Add his potentially good shot and his skill around the rim and you should have a very very good player in the league.

Just now, TRU BELIEVER said:

I want Ayton or Bamba, it's time to upgrade the Center position. 

I actually don't think that Biyambo is that bad. I don't think he is worth $17M, obviously, but remember he got that when every team had money due to the rapid increase in the cap, and was in a spending frenzy. He plays tough defense, rotates fairly well, and dramatically improved his free throw and 8-12 foot shooting. I don't think there would be half as much anti-Biyombo posting if his contract was in the $7-11M range. I actually did like the Biyambo/Speights and Birch/Speights line-ups that we played, because one of the opposing bigs had to play Speights outside, and both Biyambo and Birch are sufficiently active inside on the boards.