Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

47 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Fwiw it's not like I'm 100% against Trae. If we drop a bit I don't mind us taking him. It's just at 5 with hypothetically Bamba on the board I don't like him but if we're in Carter Porter Bridges range I don't mind. Discussions are relative to draft position. 

I'm intrigued by Bamba myself. I wouldn't be mad if we picked him.

30 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Bridges is not the alpha we need. He likes to disappear in games like jjj. Bamba would be the only player I would think about over young and only if he shows that he has significantly gained some weight. We don’t need another toothpick!!

Agreed, but a trio of Mikal, Isaac and Gordon could be very good at the defensive end and has potential at the other end depending on how they develop. Gordon at times has looked like a go to guy, if he can develop that on a nightly basis we should be ok.

There's also the question marks at PG and C. We could get an alpha at one of those positions. I'm not sure what the free agent class looks like this year, or which players will be available for trades, but maybe we can fill that void by finding the long term PG and C for this team?

With that said, if we stay at five it depends which three of Ayton, Bamba, Jackson, Trae, Porter, Bagley, and Doncic are available. Of that group I'd take Mikal over Jackson, and the only reason I'd consider him over Porter/Bagley is if I felt that Gordon and Isaac are our long term SF and PF, thus adding another forward would be a "waste" unless I could flip that player for another I like and another asset to a team below us. 

I personally do like the idea of seeing Trae here in Orlando, but I get a feeling our front office will value one of the other lengthier and more athletic guys to build a defensive juggernaut. I could be wrong. They might add Trae, but I'm sure.

43 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

I wouldn't bet against him either, it's his lack of vision that leaves me wanting more

Agreed. I’d like Sexton more if we had someone else in a “point” role.

I will take Bamba or Jjj first. Followed by Young. There is not need to add anymore players as this 2-3 will be available for us to pick. 

Ideal FOR ME. Will be Bamba first round with Okobo as my first 2nd rounder. Did I said before I am very high in okobo?

Bamba and Okobo will be great! 

I'd be upset with a Bamba pick. He might be good but unless we have a major roster shakeup I'm doubtful he'll reach his potential here playing next to Gordon and Isaac. Personally I don't think he'll be a good offensive player at all in the NBA outside of being a lob target and on cuts.

Trae is just as risky but I can be sold on his potential elite shot creation, Bridges would be my safety pick if we're in that 5-7 range since he has a good chance of being at least a plus defender and a TS% god with the upside for more.

I'm still on the SGA train too, especially after seeing how good Jrue Holiday has become.

6 hours ago, Magicman28 said:

Nah. I mean you speak of him like he's Damien Stoudamire with John Amaechi like mobility. It's insane.

Damien Stoudamire? Never heard of him

I like SGA lot too and if the guy we want isn't available at our pick I am totally into trading with the Clips for 12, 13 and another goodie of some kind. Take SGA and reach a bit for one of the mid lotto centers and i'm good. On the other hand as far as Bamba, if you look at him solely as the rim protector/rebounder we so badly need any offense we get will be a bonus and we can grab a PG or 2 in the second round. At 6'6 SGA has potential to fit really well with a long defensive team.

9 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

So who is your sure bet in this draft? Please tell. 

The only sure bet we have is if we win the lottery (must be in the top 2), but because we stink at tanking we probably will have no sure bet!!!  For what it is worth surest bet at 5, if he is there and I think he will go at 4, is Bamba.  If he is gone I say go Young.  If not Young 3rd would be Porter.  I say that because I want a player who can potentially become an All Star and who can bring excitement to the Magic.  Bamba has that greatest potential at pick 5  to be a force in the lane that all teams pay attention to, he can alter games and is the type of player that opposing players will want to know where hs is!  Just cannot pass on Bamba if available.  If not Trae Young would bring the most excitement.  He brings something no one else can bring,  points in bunches!!!  He can distribute the ball better than anyone in this draft (just a natural talent at it), excellent ballhandler who can get to the basket and free throw line, and was double and triple teamed at the end of the year because he was the team.  Porter 3rd because he is a forward and we have forwards but he may be better than what we have.  JJJ OK but will take time and will not bring that excitement. Think of the brightside If Bamba is gone and we take Trae, and as a one he takes time to adjust to the NBA, we can tank and draft 7'2" Bol Bol next year.  Then we get our PG and center!!  Oh, I'm sorry that will not work because we don't know how to tank!!!!

1 hour ago, magicblue said:

Don’t understand any of the SGA love aside from his size, reach, etc. There’s more to building a good team than just length

I think the length movement has been going a little overboard. Not that it's not important, but shooting & sharing the ball will always be more important. The Jazz play some beautiful basketball with Donovan Mitchell (who fell in the draft for being short) Joe Ingles (who looks like a substitute teacher) and Ricky Rubio

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I think the length movement has been going a little overboard. Not that it's not important, but shooting & sharing the ball will always be more important. The Jazz play some beautiful basketball with Donovan Mitchell (who fell in the draft for being short) Joe Ingles (who looks like a substitute teacher) and Ricky Rubio

All the Trae Young supporters shout out our thanks to you.  Give Mauro a "+" for a great post!!!!!!!!  Maybe a second "+" for his decription of Ingles....hilarious!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1