Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

I’ll say this... I wouldn’t bet against Sexton. That dude has the drive and athleticism to become a Westbrook or Dipo type player in the NBA. It’s going to take a couple of years but he’s got an “it” factor about him on both ends of the floor.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

And I'd get that if we're just talking about Kansas, Texas tech, and Alabama. But the dude shot 12 for 40 overall and 2 for 17 from three against Iowa State and the 283rd ranked defense. That's not a good sign. 

And he was defended pretty much the same way every NBA team defends point guards now. Hedge deep on screens or switch. How many threes did he make this year that were the result of a defender going under the screen or not realizing you might have to defend this guy 26 feet from the hoop instead of parking your defenders on the three point line?

I think Trae is going to be Booker. Torches bad teams with bad defenders. Every once in a while gets hot and has a meaningful good game. Big numbers in blowouts. Easy for an average defense to take out of the game. 

Maybe. I'm not going to get too hanged up on a bad shooting night. 

I don't put him as Booker because his passing just so damn good he actually makes his teammates better and produces wins.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

And I'd get that if we're just talking about Kansas, Texas tech, and Alabama. But the dude shot 12 for 40 overall and 2 for 17 from three against Iowa State and the 283rd ranked defense. That's not a good sign. 

And he was defended pretty much the same way every NBA team defends point guards now. Hedge deep on screens or switch. How many threes did he make this year that were the result of a defender going under the screen or not realizing you might have to defend this guy 26 feet from the hoop instead of parking your defenders on the three point line?

I think Trae is going to be Booker. Torches bad teams with bad defenders. Every once in a while gets hot and has a meaningful good game. Big numbers in blowouts. Easy for an average defense to take out of the game. 

This is a very fair assessment that has potentially won me over, but I still have Young in my top 5.

The more I think about the reality of our front office and our team, the more I think Mikal Bridges is our guy. Insane defender, highlight real driver, very set jump shot, lovely flick of the wrist, long arms great height can guard multiple positions. 

1 hour ago, Magicman28 said:

Nah. I mean you speak of him like he's Damien Stoudamire with John Amaechi like mobility. It's insane.

Frankly, I was referencing the others on the board; hence that’s why my introduction was (counter argument). I am not a big fan at all, as I said he’s situational. I like length,defense, good court sense, reasonable shot and a killer work ethic.  Not sure how you derive from that.

I'm with Trae where I was with Mario. I'd be happy if we drafted him, but he's not the guy I'm excited about. He is, like Mario was, a high risk/high reward pick at 5 or 6 (for different reasons, though; with Mario, there wasn't enough tape on him to be sure of who he really was, while, with Trae, there isn't enough surety that what he did well in college will work as well in the pros). If everyone else was excited about him like they were with Mario, I could talk myself into excitement. I understand the pros, if all goes well. Every indication is that he's an elite-level passer, he moves well with the ball, can drive despite his size, and he's an impressive high-volume shooter from outside (though too streaky to be considered elite). But he's also a terrible defender, and small. Offensively, there's no reason not to love his game, though he's probably overrated as a pure shooter. Defensively, he's Isaiah Thomas bad, which is a problem. The hope if we draft him is that he doesn't have to be that bad on D. He could be just bad, with a bit of effort and some coaching (or maybe not, who knows). If he doesn't get better on defense, he will have to be last year's Isaiah Thomas good on offense to be effective (and that overall effectiveness is still limited by the terrible D).

It's also a problem that his best case scenario doesn't really have an analog in the modern NBA. Who out there is an elite passer and high volume shooter at PG? Chris Paul. That's it. And Paul is not really very high volume as a shooter. In order to be Chris Paul on offense, Trae would have to cut down considerably on the bad decisions, too. And Chris Paul is considerably stronger. Defensively, Trae is just never going to be Chris Paul.

But Trae may benefit greatly from not dominating the ball so much. Maybe his shooting %s go back up into the 40's from deep when he's able to play off-ball more, get more set-up 3's. Maybe not. He's an enigma, and one who seems much more likely to be a better passing Trey Burke than Steph Curry.

• Upvote 1

Fwiw it's not like I'm 100% against Trae. If we drop a bit I don't mind us taking him. It's just at 5 with hypothetically Bamba on the board I don't like him but if we're in Carter Porter Bridges range I don't mind. Discussions are relative to draft position. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Whaaaaaaat?

yeah I think Mikal is a safer guy to hang my hat on and a core of Mikal, Isaac, and Gordon would be insane to watch and very versatile.

If it's 8 years ago I think Trae goes #1 overall but in 2018 it's hard to argue that

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

I keep forgetting Trae is the only player that teams have focused on in basketball history.

Double teams 44% of his touches in the half court. That is not normal. And even Curry didn’t come close to it. That speaks to how unusual it was and how poor his teammates were to not be able to make them pay for that. 

14 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Fwiw it's not like I'm 100% against Trae. If we drop a bit I don't mind us taking him. It's just at 5 with hypothetically Bamba on the board I don't like him but if we're in Carter Porter Bridges range I don't mind. Discussions are relative to draft position. 

and to be fair to you, me conceding that Trae Youngs floor as a scorer is Devin Booker is a pretty decent homer esque stance LOL

46 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I’ll say this... I wouldn’t bet against Sexton. That dude has the drive and athleticism to become a Westbrook or Dipo type player in the NBA. It’s going to take a couple of years but he’s got an “it” factor about him on both ends of the floor.

I wouldn't bet against him either, it's his lack of vision that leaves me wanting more

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I’m not a fan of Young. At 5, I like Bamba and Bridges over him. Furthermore, I think some of the late point guards could end up as very solid starters and accomplish what we hope to do.

Bridges is not the alpha we need. He likes to disappear in games like jjj. Bamba would be the only player I would think about over young and only if he shows that he has significantly gained some weight. We don’t need another toothpick!!