Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Curry is Curry because he shot 41% on short threes this year, 44% from 25-29 feet, 43% from 30-34 feet, and 50% (only 1-2 though) from 35-39 feet. These numbers are pretty constant over the past 4 years. 

Trae shot 35.59% on nba threes this year. If we were talking 39%+ this would be a different story. But the difference between a 36% and a 39% three point shooter is dramatic. 

Wonder what he shot before defenses started to pull the ol focus on him and let everyone else hurt us strategy.

2 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

how many Oklahoma games did you watch this year in their entirety?

5 in their entirety. The last 2, @ Kansas, Alabama, the 39 shot Oklahoma State game. 

I watched big chunks of several others. 

24 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

So many things wrong this, it would be an story of a response.

Cool. Thanks for pointing them all out.

21 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

So who is your sure bet in this draft? Please tell. 

There is no such thing, so don't be facetious. There are, however, players who I think have more skills that should be NBA translatable and have a better chance of being elite or at least starter quality. There are good bets and bad bets. For example, betting on heads or tails is a much better bet than betting on one outcome from a six-sided dice which is better than betting on a specific card to be pulled from a normal 52 deck of cards.

And at spot 5 or 6, where we will probably be drafting, the likelihood of us getting a franchise savior is small. I would grab one of Doncic, Ayton, or JJJ for sure if they are available at our pick. Bamba and Mikal Bridges are also intriguing and look like they should at least be starters in the league.

I would also be concerned about Bagley, who might end up being an athletic Jahil Okafor.

I am interested in some of the guys lower in the draft, but would want to hear more about them after combine and workouts.

But the main thrust of my post above wasn't that Trae will definitely be bad, or anything of the sort. Trae might end up very good, and I would not be too surprised. I would just be less surprised if he didn't. The point was that a group of board members seems to have already anointed him as the savior of the franchise, the next Steph Curry and are blind to any criticism. Temper your expectations. We all want a star, but if the player does not end up being the star, than what are they? What are the chances they hit that peak vs the chance that they hit the median of all possibilities, and where is that median?

I guess I get annoyed by this type of hype that seems to blind people to the faults of the one they are hyping and to the possibilities that exist outside of the hyped. There are a lot of posts here that instead of discussing the merits, the possibilities, and the faults of many prospects just echo echo echo ever building praise for Trae Young: Trae is who we should draft; Trae will be an All-Star; Trae will fix all of our problems; Trae will be the next Steph Curry; No, will be better than Steph Curry, Trae will be God.

Anyway, my favorite prospect is Doncic (you could probably tell if you looked back in my post history a bit). I think a good way to think about him is a bit like what we thought Mario could be, with less athleticism, but with more data/experience to back up his bonefides. I think that he has a very good chance to at least be a good starter on pretty much any team with star potential to boot though he has his own issues.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Wonder what he shot before defenses started to pull the ol focus on him and let everyone else hurt us strategy.

I keep forgetting Trae is the only player that teams have focused on in basketball history. 

His supporting cast is also exaggerated. It was poor, but half of his teammates were 4* recruits and he was often on the court with 3 other + shooters. They could have worked out something better on offense than what was put out there. 

25 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

I saw some of those games, he was amazing. Once everyone realized he was such a good shooter they put their best defender(s) on him and made it a lot tougher but he still managed to score a lot of points and get a lot of assists even though his number fell off. My main concern with him after watching those games is that he really sucked on defense against college guys and NBA teams will really T off on him.

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I keep forgetting Trae is the only player that teams have focused on in basketball history. 

His supporting cast is also exaggerated. It was poor, but half of his teammates were 4* recruits and he was often on the court with 3 other + shooters. They could have worked out something better on offense than what was put out there. 

No not the only but usually there's someone else who can create to some degree. Trae had no one who can create like he can and he was on such tear while producing W's teams just decided to focus solely on him. He got the superstar  treatment. Think about that for a sec.

2 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

No not the only but usually there's someone else who can create to some degree. Trae had no one who can create like he can and he was on such tear while producing W's teams just decided to focus solely on him. He got the superstar  treatment. Think about that for a sec.

Probably more focus on him than anyone in NCAA history. Before they did that he was killing them.

8 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I saw some of those games, he was amazing. Once everyone realized he was such a good shooter they put their best defender(s) on him and made it a lot tougher but he still managed to score a lot of points and get a lot of assists even though his number fell off. My main concern with him after watching those games is that he really sucked on defense against college guys and NBA teams will really T off on him.

It's a concern. I just think his strengths is our weakness and imo his strength could become elite. I also don't buy he can't be a least average defensively.

3 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

He got the Superstar treatment and his numbers tanked. 

It's just absurd to me that "imagine what his numbers would look like if teams didn't defend him as hard" is a legitimate reason teams are given for drafting a guy. 

11 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

He got the Superstar treatment and his numbers tanked. 

It's just absurd to me that "imagine what his numbers would look like if teams didn't defend him as hard" is a legitimate reason teams are given for drafting a guy. 

You're downplaying. They didn't "defend him hard." Their entire strategy was to hone on him and him only. Let someone else beat them. Guess what? No one could. 

Him single handily doing what he did beforehand, was dominating and producing wins. I'm more like, imagine if he had NBA talent running with him. 

4 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

You're downplaying. They didn't "defend him hard." Their entire strategy was to hone on him and him only. Let someone else beat them. Guess what? No one could. 

Him single handily doing what he did beforehand, was dominating and producing wins. 

And I'd get that if we're just talking about Kansas, Texas tech, and Alabama. But the dude shot 12 for 40 overall and 2 for 17 from three against Iowa State and the 283rd ranked defense. That's not a good sign. 

And he was defended pretty much the same way every NBA team defends point guards now. Hedge deep on screens or switch. How many threes did he make this year that were the result of a defender going under the screen or not realizing you might have to defend this guy 26 feet from the hoop instead of parking your defenders on the three point line?

I think Trae is going to be Booker. Torches bad teams with bad defenders. Every once in a while gets hot and has a meaningful good game. Big numbers in blowouts. Easy for an average defense to take out of the game. 

48 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

eh still 0 offensive initiator types,  guys could only dribble on line drives etc