Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

7 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

He kind of is 

He struggles moving laterally. He struggles getting through screens. He struggles contesting shots. 

Nah. He's lightening quick laterally on offense. I think it's an effort thing and watching that, a simple technique added would change a lot of his issues.

A guy who has to create the entire offense like he does, usually skimps on defense.

Remember when we discussed that with AG and rebounding? Focuses so much on one area others suffer. Except Trae WAS the entire offense.

Just now, Mack1085 said:

Passing has diminishing returns? Say more. How does an era that prioritizes movement create diminished returns for a gifted passer? If you can convince me that having a point guard who is a very good to great passer doesn't really matter then I won't even consider Trae anymore at 5. Seriously, if you are right and passing doesn't really matter that much, we shouldn't be talking about Trae at 5.

But I would believe that in an era that prioritizes movement, having a person who spaces the floor and has vision to make a great pass is extremely valuable. 

How much more valuable is a great passer vs only a good passer? What's the actual value? I think in forwards it's dramatic as a Ben Simmons or LeBron gives you something special. But Lillard, Curry, Kyrie, Lowry, jrue, bledsoe are just ok passers and Westbrook is probably below average. If Lillard passed like Rubio how much better would Portland be? Marginally? 

I’m not a fan of Young. At 5, I like Bamba and Bridges over him. Furthermore, I think some of the late point guards could end up as very solid starters and accomplish what we hope to do.

1 minute ago, Magicman28 said:

Nah. He's lightening quick laterally on offense. I think it's an effort thing and watching that, a simple technique added would change a lot of his issues.

A guy who has to create the entire offense like he does, usually skimps on defense.

Remember when we discussed that with AG and rebounding? Focuses so much on one area others suffer. Except Trae WAS the entire offense.

You might have watched 1 whole minute of that. 

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

You might have watched 1 whole minute of that. 

Yup. I saw what I needed to Plus what I've seen him with the ball in the past. I'll try to catch more later but I don't need a hour long documentary. 

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

How much more valuable is a great passer vs only a good passer? What's the actual value? I think in forwards it's dramatic as a Ben Simmons or LeBron gives you something special. But Lillard, Curry, Kyrie, Lowry, jrue, bledsoe are just ok passers and Westbrook is probably below average. If Lillard passed like Rubio how much better would Portland be? Marginally? 

What makes great passing special to a team from a point forward but marginal from a point guard? I happen to think it's special from both. It gives guys easier looks, gets them the ball where they can be successful, forces defenders to play their men tighter which creates more space to operate for everyone. 

49 minutes ago, Odin said:

Right. Because betting on players who have already shown ability in the NBA is the same as betting on a not yet drafted college player.

apples and oranges sure but I'm talking about the reference on betting everything on one guy

9 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Nah. First sentence is false. Last sentence first paragraph, yeah for you, or for Elfrid Payton, Fournier or anyone else, but for him, that's like saying Curry shouldn't do that until it goes in.

Last paragraph, not when you have his range, his ability to get off his shot and when his passing is elite.

You're missing the eye test with him man. 

Curry is Curry because he shot 41% on short threes this year, 44% from 25-29 feet, 43% from 30-34 feet, and 50% (only 1-2 though) from 35-39 feet. These numbers are pretty constant over the past 4 years. 

Trae shot 35.59% on nba threes this year. If we were talking 39%+ this would be a different story. But the difference between a 36% and a 39% three point shooter is dramatic. 

13 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

about 6 to 8 points per game better

1 minute ago, Soul Bro said:

I’m not a fan of Young. At 5, I like Bamba and Bridges over him. Furthermore, I think some of the late point guards could end up as very solid starters and accomplish what we hope to do.

I like Young very much and would love to have him but with the draft having all the good bigs in the top 15 or so and several potentially good PGs in the 2nd round with almost no bigs at all I think we need to pick a big with our first pick and get our PG(s) in the 2nd round. I would love  to somehow get 2 picks in the top 7 and take Trae AND a big but I don't see the possibility of that happening.

I'm really hoping for great bounce of the ping pong balls and grabbing Doncic who I see as potentially the best PG in the league a few years from now.

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Curry is Curry because he shot 41% on short threes this year, 44% from 25-29 feet, 43% from 30-34 feet, and 50% (only 1-2 though) from 35-39 feet. These numbers are pretty constant over the past 4 years. 

Trae shot 35.59% on nba threes this year. If we were talking 39%+ this would be a different story. But the difference between a 36% and a 39% three point shooter is dramatic. 

how many Oklahoma games did you watch this year in their entirety?