Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

15 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

What makes Young a better bet than D'Angelo Russell?

IQ, pure talent of making his team better with his passing, vision, and awareness, quicker.

4 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

So who is your sure bet in this draft? Please tell. 

There are better bets. Young could be great but his career options go from Lillard to Schroder to Jeremy Lin pretty quickly. There's no Mike Conley-eric bledsoe level outcomes for him because a good offense bad defense player is a fringe starter. 

Bamba could be dpoy level with solid offense. It's not particularly likely but it's an option. Or he could be Ben Wallace. Or he could be DeAndre Jordan Or he could be Drummond. Or he could be Whiteside. Or he could be what we wish Biyombo was. Or he could be John Henson. Or he could be what Biyombo actually is. 

But the point is there's a wide range of possibilities with very positive very impactful options all of which fit our future philosophy. 

Trae is a small chance of elite payout but an overwhelming chance of a player who's Devin Booker. Numbers but limited actual impact. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Odin said:

36% 3 point shooting sure is.

Right. Because betting on players who have already shown ability in the NBA is the same as betting on a not yet drafted college player.

How many players with deficiencies like Young become good or even average at defense?

What deficiencies?

Who is the "anyone but Trae Young" group championing at 5? Surely they aren't the same people who think Porter and his back are a safe pick. Or Bamba and his lack of offensive ability or intensity. Are they hoping to go the safest route and get the elite role player Mikal Bridges?

Trae Young is a prospect with deficiencies in his game. But he has the potential to be an elite shooter (when he's not double teamed on 44% of his touches) and a great distributor (when he's playing with competent teammates). That combination of stretching the floor and getting the ball to guys in a position to succeed is incredibly valuable. I watched virtually every game OU played on national television this season. I don't expect Young to come into the league and be Curry next season. He needs to get stronger, he needs to play in a real system, he needs to make better decisions. But I don't believe that being a defensive liability at the point is a non-starter in the NBA. We've seen too many defensively deficient guards be plus contributors to their team's success to believe that. 

57 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Steph and kyrie say hi. 

Good point, but I still feel the evolution of athletic size will shortly supersede them. Players are bigger, stronger and faster every year. 

1 minute ago, Magicman28 said:

IQ, pure talent of making his team better with his passing, vision, and awareness, quicker.

His IQ is overrated. He makes consistent bad decisions. Like back to back contested 35 footers early in the shot clock late in a close elimination game.

Vision and passing are nice, but in an era that prioritises movement, passing has diminishing returns after a specific point. 

6 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

There are better bets. Young could be great but his career options go from Lillard to Schroder to Jeremy Lin pretty quickly. There's no Mike Conley-eric bledsoe level outcomes for him because a good offense bad defense player is a fringe starter. 

I think you have that backwards. Being a good defensive player and a bad offensive player is a fringe starter. 

2 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

Good point, but I still feel the evolution of athletic size will shortly supersede them. Players are bigger, stronger and faster every year. 

Nah. I mean you speak of him like he's Damien Stoudamire with John Amaechi like mobility. It's insane.

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Vision and passing are nice, but in an era that prioritises movement, passing has diminishing returns after a specific point. 

Passing has diminishing returns? Say more. How does an era that prioritizes movement create diminished returns for a gifted passer? If you can convince me that having a point guard who is a very good to great passer doesn't really matter then I won't even consider Trae anymore at 5. Seriously, if you are right and passing doesn't really matter that much, we shouldn't be talking about Trae at 5.

But I would believe that in an era that prioritizes movement, having a person who spaces the floor and has vision to make a great pass is extremely valuable. 

2 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Nah. I mean you speak of him like he's Damien Stoudamire with John Amaechi like mobility. It's insane.

He kind of is 

He struggles moving laterally. He struggles getting through screens. He struggles contesting shots. 

16 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

His IQ is overrated. He makes consistent bad decisions. Like back to back contested 35 footers early in the shot clock late in a close elimination game.

Nah. First sentence is false. Last sentence first paragraph, yeah for you, or for Elfrid Payton, Fournier or anyone else, but for him, that's like saying Curry shouldn't do that until it goes in.

Last paragraph, not when you have his range, his ability to get off his shot and when his passing is elite.

You're missing the eye test with him man.