Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

1 minute ago, Magicfan1987 said:

that pretty much only applies to Draymond Green and other elite secondary ball handlers. 

Young ran that teams offensive very well

His offense at OU was "be the offense".  Doesn't seem that hard to run if the only stipulation is to do anything you want.  I'm talking about the transition to running an NBA-level offense.  That will not be something he can just come in and do.

2 hours ago, ML6 said:

And how do we know that Young is not a project or is a better "basketball player" than others at the top of the draft?

Did u watch him play?  He has a very high basketball iq. If he was on duke, Kansas, or Villanova, he would be the TOP prospect. Dude just has IT!!!  

• Downvote 1

Just now, fan for too long 2 said:

Did u watch him play?  He has a very high basketball iq. If he was on duke, Kansas, or Villanova, he would be the TOP prospect. Dude just has IT!!!  

No.  The opposite is true.  If he played at a program where he was held accountable for his decisions and was expected to play within a team concept we might not even be talking about him.  The only reason we care is because he put up big numbers due to an astronomical usage rate.

1 minute ago, ML6 said:

His offense at OU was "be the offense".  Doesn't seem that hard to run if the only stipulation is to do anything you want.  I'm talking about the transition to running an NBA-level offense.  That will not be something he can just come in and do.

No he is a great facilitator. If he had anybody worth a dam with him, his numbers and efficiency would have been through the roof. 

• Upvote 1

Sure, the 33% three point shooter who also shot 33% from three in HS would be super efficient in a parallel universe.

EDIT: 36%.  Excuse me.  Still not good and not the shooting savant people seem to believe he is.

1 minute ago, ML6 said:

No.  The opposite is true.  If he played at a program where he was held accountable for his decisions and was expected to play within a team concept we might not even be talking about him.  The only reason we care is because he put up big numbers due to an astronomical usage rate.

Held accountable? That's all they could do. They wanted him to play that way because the team sucked ass.

Btw, astronomical usage with a pretty good efficiency percentage. 

1 minute ago, ML6 said:

Sure, the 33% three point shooter who also shot 33% from three in HS would be super efficient in a parallel universe.

EDIT: 36%.  Excuse me.  Still not good and not the shooting savant people seem to believe he is.

Context. It's what missing here.

44 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

It's literally his most likely scenario when you're projecting offense and defense. If you're going to project trae as an average defender you might as well project Bagley as a great rim protector because it's as likely to happen. 

You have zero basis to suggest Trae will be average. It's just a delusion you're allowing to support your belief.

I understand people who want Trae because they legitimately think he's going to be Kyrie. That's at least arguable. That he'll be a plus defender isn't because everything we know about basketball scouting suggests bad at defense in college=bad at defense in the pros. 

Traes best case scenarios is arguably 40% worst defense in the league tier. Having players like Isaac and Gordon around him should help a ton.

3 minutes ago, ML6 said:

improved shot selection and added strength should help him a ton

1 minute ago, ML6 said:

U don’t try to turn a plow horse into thoroughbred or visa versa. And I for one want a thoroughbred.  

7 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

No he is a great facilitator. If he had anybody worth a dam with him, his numbers and efficiency would have been through the roof. 

I second this

The Young counter argument: Don’t get me wrong, I like Young in certain situations on the floor, but today’s NBA seems to be about length and versatility; any defensive weak link on the floor is masterfully exploited, (the game has evolved quickly)That’s why I feel our top pick at our stage of the game needs to be a two way versatile player. If Young gives you a plus on the offensive end but a huge negative on D, are you that much ahead? If we could somehow upgrade our other first round pick and he slips out of the top 10, then yes. I see the future being point forwards and players in the range of long 6’5 to athletic 7’. Small points will be more situational, but won’t warrant a pick in the top part of the lottery. Just my ho