Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

8 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

young is easily the best point prospect over the next few years. 

an elite offensive player contributes much more to winning games than an elite defensive player.- Cole Zwicker of the Stepein

Doncic.

Edit: Not saying we will be in range to draft him.

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

If you're drafting Trae Young you're doing it because you are relatively certain he's going to be a top 10 offensive player. Because that's the only way you're getting an all star given his likelihood of being in the bottom 150 in defense. 

If he's slightly below that he's basically the equivalent of this year's Eric Gordon, Lou Williams, jj redick. 

Or he makes your team a top 5-10 offensive team or both.

Bottom 150? That's assuming he'll never improve. I just don't believe you can accurately predict that. 

Just now, Magicman28 said:

That's if he's there when we pick. He's not special defensively either.

Haha, see my edit. And the comment stated Young was the best PG prospect for the next few years, which I disagree with. If he was, he'd probably be going #1.

And Doncic doesn't have the same limitations as Young does though.

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

Teaching him how to play defense, run an offense, and correct a lot of his bad habits from college will be a major project.

You don't average almost 10 apg with limited talent next to you and no idea how to run an offense. 

6 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Or he makes your team a top 5-10 offensive team or both.

Bottom 150? That's assuming he'll never improve. I just don't believe you can accurately predict that. 

It's literally his most likely scenario when you're projecting offense and defense. If you're going to project trae as an average defender you might as well project Bagley as a great rim protector because it's as likely to happen. 

You have zero basis to suggest Trae will be average. It's just a delusion you're allowing to support your belief.

I understand people who want Trae because they legitimately think he's going to be Kyrie. That's at least arguable. That he'll be a plus defender isn't because everything we know about basketball scouting suggests bad at defense in college=bad at defense in the pros. 

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

It's literally his most likely scenario when you're projecting offense and defense. If you're going to project trae as an average defender you might as well project Bagley as a great rim protector because it's as likely to happen. 

You have zero basis to suggest Trae will be average. It's just a delusion you're allowing to support your belief.

I understand people who want Trae because they legitimately think he's going to be Kyrie. That's at least arguable. That he'll be a plus defender isn't because everything we know about basketball scouting suggests bad at defense in college=bad at defense in the pros. 

Delusion? Nah. Just don't see it being impossible.

I never said it would be probable. I like what he could do for our offense.

I love Trae's game and believe he will probably be a great PG in the NBA eventually. 

As much as I would love to have him I think with the way the draft is laid out the smarter move for us if we don't get a top 2 pick will be to grab JJJ or Bamba with our 1st round pick and address our PG/shooting needs with our 2nd round picks. Although there are several potentially good PGs that will be available in the 2nd round, there really aren't many bigs at all. The other thing is unless Trae is on a team where the coach will let him play his game I'm afraid he will be mediocre at best trying to play within a system. 

Now if only management can pull off a miracle and somehow use some combination of our 2nds, future firsts, Vuc, Fournier, Mack, Ross, etc. to get us another top 7 pick then I would take the chance with Trae along with the mentioned bigs.

33 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

You don't average almost 10 apg with limited talent next to you and no idea how to run an offense. 

Assist volume =/= running an offense.

50 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

If you're drafting Trae Young you're doing it because you are relatively certain he's going to be a top 10 offensive player. Because that's the only way you're getting an all star given his likelihood of being in the bottom 150 in defense. 

If he's slightly below that he's basically the equivalent of this year's Eric Gordon, Lou Williams, jj redick. 

STREEEEETCH the floor, bring gravity, FIND GUYS.

none of those guys are half the passer that Young is. You're not giving him the credit he deserves, his floor is much higher than you're evaluating I'm afraid

4 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Assist volume =/= running an offense.

that pretty much only applies to Draymond Green and other elite secondary ball handlers. 

Young ran that teams offensive very well

2 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

STREEEEETCH the floor, bring gravity, FIND GUYS.

none of those guys are half the passer that Young is. You're not giving him the credit he deserves, his floor is much higher than you're evaluating I'm afraid

I'm talking about gross offensive impact vs literal translations