Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

45 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Why? Because he's not a 6'7 pg with a 7 foot reach?

I think length is good but I believe solely focusing on it is why we have Sassers and Reece Gains of the world. Give me a potential Steve Nash clone any day of the week over length.

No because he was probably the worst defensive starting point guard in college basketball last year. 

You don't have to be 6'5+ but you do have to be able to fight on that side. 

If Trae Young makes the playoffs he's going to get isolated on every single play. Every single one. 

55 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Why? Because he's not a 6'7 pg with a 7 foot reach?

I think length is good but I believe solely focusing on it is why we have Sassers and Reece Gains of the world. Give me a potential Steve Nash clone any day of the week over length.

Also, the choice isn't Trae or Reece Gaines. It's Trae vs every other player available at 5 and every available point guard over the next few years. 

16 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

No because he was probably the worst defensive starting point guard in college basketball last year. 

You don't have to be 6'5+ but you do have to be able to fight on that side. 

If Trae Young makes the playoffs he's going to get isolated on every single play. Every single one. 

That's why you put a frontcourt out there that defends. You don't have to have all nba defenders 1-5. Looking at current makeup with AG and JI, it seems like that would be the direction we should/could be taking. Just need a consistent C who can defend and run. I also don't know why you think he can't improve defensively. Length is an advantage sure  but so is IQ, the ability to learn, and move laterally. 

Trae is no Westbrook but this notion he's a PG version of John Amaechi is false.

7 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Also, the choice isn't Trae or Reece Gaines. It's Trae vs every other player available at 5 and every available point guard over the next few years. 

Ok but everyone at 5 is questionable. 

I'm leaning  towards the guy atm who has an very high IQ, literally led his team dominantly until coaches decided to to focus their whole defensive gameplan solely on him, and seeing our cornerstones and what we need.

I rather not focus so hard on the what could we get in the next 5 years. It could be there now with Trae. 

2 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Ok but everyone at 5 is questionable. 

I'm leaning  towards the guy atm who has an very high IQ, literally led his team dominantly until coaches decided to to focus their whole defensive gameplan solely on him, and seeing our cornerstones and what we need.

I rather not focus so hard on the what could we get in the next 5 years. It could be there now with Trae. 

Nah

13 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Lol....Nah? Nah what?

I don't think it's there now with Trae. Every other player in his archetype takes several years to adjust. You draft him you're hoping he starts to show signs of being capable by the back end of the 20-21 season

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't think it's there now with Trae. Every other player in his archetype takes several years to adjust. You draft him you're hoping he starts to show signs of being capable by the back end of the 20-21 season

Who are you putting into this archetype?

58 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

young is easily the best point prospect over the next few years. 

an elite offensive player contributes much more to winning games than an elite defensive player.- Cole Zwicker of the Stepein

10 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Kemba, McCollum, Thomas, Nash,

That's a nice archetype to be with. You want to pass on that because you feel his development might take a few years? Which I don't necessarily agree with btw.

If you're drafting Trae Young you're doing it because you are relatively certain he's going to be a top 10 offensive player. Because that's the only way you're getting an all star given his likelihood of being in the bottom 150 in defense. 

If he's slightly below that he's basically the equivalent of this year's Eric Gordon, Lou Williams, jj redick.