Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

6 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Scouting someone does not mean drafting someone

Yes. But they already have scouts around Europe giving them reports. There has to be a real interest for anyone in management To travel overseas and  spend time and money to see this guy. The fact that BOTH are there is even more intriguing.

1 minute ago, magicdoc1 said:

Yes. But they already have scouts around Europe giving them reports. There has to be a real interest for anyone in management To travel overseas and  spend time and money to see this guy. The fact that BOTH are there is even more intriguing.

They spent money to visit doncic. They're taking the rest of the time to scout the rest of the European prospects. 

Bonga is pretty bad. But he's 6'9 and can dribble. But he can't shoot and is averaging 5.6 ppg on 39.6% shooting in the German BBL. 

I'd be much more excited about Janis timma coming over. 

A team that drafts a point guard high has to believe they will turn into an elite player. If their ceiling is only a good starter, there’s no reason to bother with all the development necessary to get them there. As one NBA executive told me, “The question is whether the juice is worth the squeeze.” The worst-case scenario is what happened to Orlando, which was stuck in neutral the past three seasons while waiting for Elfrid Payton to develop. Having a bad shooter like Payton who needed the ball in his hands made everyone around him worse, and it contributed to their decision to give up on Oladipo too early. 

No NBA franchise wants to spend too much time in the lottery. Even the 76ers made only four trips during the Process. The key is to make the most out of your time there, which means not spending picks on players who will hinder their teammates’ development and cutting corners when you can. There are only a handful of point guards in the NBA who are true difference-makers, and it’s one of the hardest positions to predict since so much of the development necessary is mental. Brandon Knight was taken one spot ahead of Kemba Walker. Ricky Rubio and Jonny Flynn were taken directly in front of Steph Curry.

The safer route is to draft wings and big men high and trade for a caretaker point guard who can make their lives easier. Rozier and Wright won’t be restricted free agents until next offseason, but they aren’t long for their current teams. The Raptors and the Celtics can’t afford to pay their understudies starter-level salaries, not with so many other long-term deals on their books. A team like the Suns, who have their own lottery pick plus the no. 16 and no. 31 picks in this year’s draft, as well as two future first-round picks from the Bucks and the Heat, could easily trade for one of them, accelerating their rebuild in the process. Draft Collin Sexton or Trae Young and they could be waiting for years for them to pay off, if they ever do.

Rozier and Wright both learned from point guards whose previous teams had given up on them. Neither Lowry nor Thomas looked like stars when they came to Toronto and Boston, respectively. Lowry, the no. 24 pick in the 2006 draft, was on his third team in seven NBA seasons. Thomas, the no. 60 pick in 2011, was on his third in four. Point guards take a long time to blossom. It’s hard to project them when they are in their mid-20s, much less when they are teenagers. Rozier and Wright provide certainty at an uncertain position. Even if they don’t get much better, they are already good enough to help a team. The playoffs are proof they are ready for the training wheels to come off.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/4/20/17259054/terry-rozier-celtics-delon-wright-raptors

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

They spent money to visit doncic. They're taking the rest of the time to scout the rest of the European prospects. 

Bonga is pretty bad. But he's 6'9 and can dribble. But he can't shoot and is averaging 5.6 ppg on 39.6% shooting in the German BBL. 

I'd be much more excited about Janis timma coming over. 

I have to disagree big time. Bonga is a really good player and only 18. He is a project but really good one. 

The shooting can get better. Defensively, he is really good. Long, Athletic and quick.

i do agree with you on timma. It is time for him to join us.  

1 minute ago, magicdoc1 said:

I have to disagree big time. Bonga is a really good player and only 18. He is a project but really good one. 

The shooting can get better. Defensively, he is really good. Long, Athletic and quick.

i do agree with up on timma. It is time for him to join us.  

Come on, you've watched one YouTube video of him playing against youth squads. He can't play against pros. He's a pick that someone's going to make in the late first, early second, leave him overseas for a few years and see what happens. 

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

Come on, you've watched one YouTube video of him playing against youth squads. He can't play against pros. He's a pick that someone's going to make in the late first, early second, leave him overseas for a few years and see what happens. 

I have seen him play, yes(on 18 and under games) but he is above the competition for his age. The potential is there.  He is only 18! And likely not ready to contribute much in the PRos just like the majority of any other rookie in the league at that age. Look at Isaac. It might take him another 1-2 years of development for him to be what I think he can be.

I do agree that Bonga needs to stay one or 2 more years overseas just like Saric did. But that doesnt mean we shouldn’t go after him. 

He has potential and can be good for us in 1-2 years.

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

This is a great sign for a basketball player

• Barely gets off the floor when he jumps. Almost no explosiveness in any area of his game. Relies mostly on fluidity.

https://www.thestepien.com/isaac-bonga/

Co mon.. that is not accurate at all. Where are you getting this info? 

See him play a full game and you will see that this is not accurate

6 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

Co mon.. that is not accurate at all. Where are you getting this info? 

See him play a full game and you will see that this is not accurate

He'd be lucky to be alexy shved