Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

11 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

I have Bamba at 4 right now.   I know Trae is popular here but if we really want him then we should facilitate a trade down with another team.  There are just too many higher potential prospects to spend a high pick on him.  He's the perfect opportunity to turn one asset into two.

The danger of moving down is what happens if another team takes him? 

At this point we might think that Chicago won't take him because of Dunn, but he is classed as a combo guard by some.

Sacramento shouldn't take him because of Fox, but this is the same team that drafted McLemore then the following year drafted Stauskas. Their owner has also spoken about Trae being the next Curry.

Cleveland could take him because their existing guards are all over 30. He'd possibly be an upgrade over what they've already got and could be a piece to build around with or without LeBron.

Knicks have a few point guards and shouldn't take him, but they could create their backcourt of the future with Trae and Ntilikina at 2-guard which he played at times last season. Burke can handle sixth man duty and Mudiay can probably handle 2-guard duty off the bench.

So while I agree that trading down to get Trae and more assets is a nice idea, we could also lose him to another team. Let's say we move back with Cleveland, if Trae goes before the 8th pick we'll be left picking from Mikal Bridges, Miles Bridges, Colin Sexton (etc). Sure if we get a decent asset as part of the deal that might be ok, but if we don't get the player we want it is a negative.

As for others having more upside, sure I can see why some prefer Jaren Jackson because of his upside, but there are two things to consider. First, he might never reach that upside because we've seen prospects like Chriss and Vonleh not make a splash (yet). Second, if he's going to take the same time to develop as Gordon before he makes an impact, and it looks like Isaac will be the same, then we are setting ourselves up for our own version of the process because we are going to be bad for a couple more seasons. For me, I see Trae having all star potential and a decent floor, whereas Jackson has a lower floor despite having a higher ceiling. I also see Trae as someone that will make a more immediate impact which is beneficial. So I don't see Trae as a bad pick because he's still got all star potential like the other prospects.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike1989 said:

The danger of moving down is what happens if another team takes him? 

At this point we might think that Chicago won't take him because of Dunn, but he is classed as a combo guard by some.

Sacramento shouldn't take him because of Fox, but this is the same team that drafted McLemore then the following year drafted Stauskas. Their owner has also spoken about Trae being the next Curry.

Cleveland could take him because their existing guards are all over 30. He'd possibly be an upgrade over what they've already got and could be a piece to build around with or without LeBron.

Knicks have a few point guards and shouldn't take him, but they could create their backcourt of the future with Trae and Ntilikina at 2-guard which he played at times last season. Burke can handle sixth man duty and Mudiay can probably handle 2-guard duty off the bench.

So while I agree that trading down to get Trae and more assets is a nice idea, we could also lose him to another team. Let's say we move back with Cleveland, if Trae goes before the 8th pick we'll be left picking from Mikal Bridges, Miles Bridges, Colin Sexton (etc). Sure if we get a decent asset as part of the deal that might be ok, but if we don't get the player we want it is a negative.

As for others having more upside, sure I can see why some prefer Jaren Jackson because of his upside, but there are two things to consider. First, he might never reach that upside because we've seen prospects like Chriss and Vonleh not make a splash (yet). Second, if he's going to take the same time to develop as Gordon before he makes an impact, and it looks like Isaac will be the same, then we are setting ourselves up for our own version of the process because we are going to be bad for a couple more seasons. For me, I see Trae having all star potential and a decent floor, whereas Jackson has a lower floor despite having a higher ceiling. I also see Trae as someone that will make a more immediate impact which is beneficial. So I don't see Trae as a bad pick because he's still got all star potential like the other prospects.

Great post

Thats not how you do it. We take Bamba and then see if theres an opportunity to trade him to a team that picks after us that wants him with their pick in exchange for Trae + assets. If you want to get better end of the deal, you need to have something that others want. You dont trade pick first and then end up with nothing you wanted.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, random said:

Thats not how you do it. We take Bamba and then see if theres an opportunity to trade him to a team that picks after us that wants him with their pick in exchange for Trae + assets. If you want to get better end of the deal, you need to have something that others want. You dont trade pick first and then end up with nothing you wanted.

Was thinking the same thing.

15 minutes ago, random said:

You still have the same problem unless the team you are trading with picks right after you, someone else might pick him in between. For example, you pick Bamba with #5, you think you have a deal built with Sacramento to take Young with #7, but then Chicago takes him with #6. Instead of Young plus the asset, now you are "stuck" with Bamba. Not necessarily a bad outcome, but not what you really wanted. 

7 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

You still have the same problem unless the team you are trading with picks right after you, someone else might pick him in between. For example, you pick Bamba with #5, you think you have a deal built with Sacramento to take Young with #7, but then Chicago takes him with #6. Instead of Young plus the asset, now you are "stuck" with Bamba. Not necessarily a bad outcome, but not what you really wanted. 

No, you make the deal with the team who chooses Young. 

20 minutes ago, random said:

It depends when the trade is made. Sometimes a team trades up before the draft starts, other times they trade on the night (e.g. Payton-Saric trade).

I'd have no issue with drafting Bamba and seeing if someone wants him and is willing to send Trae our way. Problem with that route is the team would need to rate Bamba as special. Of the teams below us would any of them give up Trae plus another player or pick?

I can't see Chicago doing it. They look like they could tank again next year so I'm not sure we'd get a first rounder next year, it would have to be a future one like 2020 or later. Player wise the most appealing might be Lavine but we'd need to pay him.

Sacramento have no pick next year to trade and they already have a logjam of bigs. If we picked Porter there's maybe a deal to be made because they might send us a big like Skal or Giles or Cauley-stein. 

Cleveland might be tempted but realistically Trae is as useful to them as Bamba could be. Plus what do they have to offer us? The next first round pick they could send us is 2021, and talent wise they've got Clarkson and Nance, but neither are massively appealing from our end. 

The Knicks could use Bamba next to Porzingis, but in what is likely to be a tanking year next season, I doubt they'll send us a first rounder. And talent wise we'd be looking at Mudiay and Dotson. I'm not convinced they'll give up Burke but maybe to get Bamba they would, but if we are getting Trae do we really need Burke? Not really. 

Realistically I'm not sure how likely a trade down is in this situation, and even if one was on the table the deals that are possible are not exactly stellar. 

4 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

No, you make the deal with the team who chooses Young. 

But that team would need to want to give up Trae for the player we select. It's going to be tough to get a significant return in a deal. Most of the teams below us are rebuilding and will want to retain their first round picks, and while Cleveland might be a contender next year their first rounder wouldn't be until 2021 and that's likely to be a heavily protected one unless LeBron signs a long term extension.

I am fine NOT getting Trae. Looks too much like he might be a boom or bust type player.

20 minutes ago, Mike1989 said:

But that team would need to want to give up Trae for the player we select. It's going to be tough to get a significant return in a deal. Most of the teams below us are rebuilding and will want to retain their first round picks, and while Cleveland might be a contender next year their first rounder wouldn't be until 2021 and that's likely to be a heavily protected one unless LeBron signs a long term extension.

The way Id do it is that we pick Bamba, and then contact next 5 teams behind us. See if they are interested in him in exchange for their pick + some other asset.

Then if Trae is available when one of those teams picks, and they are interested in a trade, we can do it.

We need to look for opportunities that present themself, not force something. When you are desperate, you cant get the better end of a deal.

3 minutes ago, random said:

The way Id do it is that we pick Bamba, and then contact next 5 teams behind us. See if they are interested in him in exchange for their pick + some other asset.

Then if Trae is available when one of those teams picks, and they are interested in a trade, we can do it.

We need to look for opportunities that present themself, not force something. When you are desperate, you cant get the better end of a deal.

The point is that if you want a specific player, you have to either draft them; have a deal in place with the team that drafts right after you; or have very high confidence that he won't be drafted before the team you want to trade with. If you are trying to deal with any of the "next 5 teams behind" you, then you are better off just drafting who you want, because there is too much chance someone else in those 5 teams wants the same guy.

For example, in 1993 we wanted Penny Hardaway and Golden State wanted Chris Webber, so we picked him at #1, they picked Penny at #3 and gave us him and a couple future 1st round picks for Webber. We had pretty good intel that Philly was going to pick Shawn Bradley with #2, so we felt okay with drafting for the deal; but if Philly had picked Hardaway instead, we would have ended up with Webber and no deal. Not a bad outcome, but not what you wanted/intended. 

Holiday checks a lot of boxes

• Gets into the lane at will. Explosive driver with long strides. Shifty with plus body control in traffic. Excellent first step.
  • Picture-perfect form on catch-and-shoot jumpers. Can hit out to NBA range. 98th percentile on catch-and-shoot. Will add gravity off the ball.
  • Tough shot maker. Was responsible for creating most of the offense for UCLA this season. 91% of 2-point makes were unassisted. 98th percentile on guarded catch-and-shoot jumpers.
  • Plays with impressive effort on defense most of the time. Stays engaged off the ball and gets into his man’s body. Fights to get through screens.

https://www.thestepien.com/aaron-holiday/

• Upvote 1