Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

29 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Can we just win the lottery? I'd feel much better about doncic vs agonizing over the weaknesses of whatever guy we pick at 5 or 6. 

Seriously. Moral victories though.

4 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Can we just win the lottery? I'd feel much better about doncic vs agonizing over the weaknesses of whatever guy we pick at 5 or 6. 

Yes please.

4 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

The counter point to that is what will Doncic's best position be? 

Some seem to think he'll be better at point guard, others prefer him as a shooting guard, and some even see a small forward in him. On the one hand having positional flexibility is great, but on the other if he doesn't find his best position it can hurt his development. 

If we look at NBAdraft.net's current mock draft, they have Michael Porter going to us at #5, Trae Young #6, Wendell Carter #7, Mohamed Bamba #8 and Mikal Bridges at #9. Sure we can debate over the strengths and weaknesses of these players, but Porter does have the potential to be a number one option on a team, Young is a really good shooter and passer, Mohamed Bamba has a huge frame and a ton of potential to be a really dominant center, and the other two are well rounded complimentary pieces. Do Porter's, Young's, and Bamba's weaknesses outweigh the question mark over what position Doncic will play and be best suited to? Possibly, but I don't think it is enough to cause anyone to agonize over the pick. 

Don't get me wrong I would love to see Doncic be our pick, but pretty much every prospect at the top of this draft has weaknesses that you can agonize over. So the only benefit of drafting first is you get to take the first guy off the board, whereas at 5 or 6 it's picking from what's left, but if that is Porter, Young and Bamba we should be pretty excited to add one of them. Though I would question Porter's fit if we plan to retain Gordon and Isaac. 

1 minute ago, Mike1989 said:

Some seem to think he'll be better at point guard, others prefer him as a shooting guard, and some even see a small forward in him. On the one hand having positional flexibility is great, but on the other if he doesn't find his best position it can hurt his development. 

I think you're confusing offensive and defensive positioning.  Some people call players position based on what theydo on offense, others by what their primary defensive role is.  

So doncic is a point guard.  He'll run the offense. But he's also a 2/3 because he can't defend point guards but he is 6'8 so he can just defend twos and threes. 

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I think you're confusing offensive and defensive positioning.  Some people call players position based on what theydo on offense, others by what their primary defensive role is.  

So doncic is a point guard.  He'll run the offense. But he's also a 2/3 because he can't defend point guards but he is 6'8 so he can just defend twos and threes. 

My point about Doncic is that he needs to find his best position in order to be effective. If he runs the point and defends forwards, fair enough, I have no issue whatsoever with him doing that because players sometimes get assigned different players on defense to the position they play at the offensive end. However, the team that picks him needs to be patient with him and help him find his best position, otherwise it will hinder his development. Tyreke Evans is a prime example of a player that could play multiple positions (pg, sg, sf), but he was moved around the lineup by Sacramento and New Orleans and it hurt his development because he never truly mastered a position. So while I might expect Doncic to be a point guard, if the team that picks him plays him there one year, then moves him to shooting guard or small forward the next, then that might hurt Doncic's development. 

Like I said, I'd love to see him here, but he still has "weaknesses" that we can agonize over from him finding his best position to what kind of contribution we can expect on the defensive end. So that is my point in relation to your other post, that we can still agonize over Doncic if we really wanted to, just like we could over Ayton or any of the prospects because we aren't talking about the next LeBron James or Kevin Durant. 

8 minutes ago, Mike1989 said:

My point about Doncic is that he needs to find his best position in order to be effective. If he runs the point and defends forwards, fair enough, I have no issue whatsoever with him doing that because players sometimes get assigned different players on defense to the position they play at the offensive end. However, the team that picks him needs to be patient with him and help him find his best position, otherwise it will hinder his development. Tyreke Evans is a prime example of a player that could play multiple positions (pg, sg, sf), but he was moved around the lineup by Sacramento and New Orleans and it hurt his development because he never truly mastered a position. So while I might expect Doncic to be a point guard, if the team that picks him plays him there one year, then moves him to shooting guard or small forward the next, then that might hurt Doncic's development. 

Like I said, I'd love to see him here, but he still has "weaknesses" that we can agonize over from him finding his best position to what kind of contribution we can expect on the defensive end. So that is my point in relation to your other post, that we can still agonize over Doncic if we really wanted to, just like we could over Ayton or any of the prospects because we aren't talking about the next LeBron James or Kevin Durant. 

His position is point guard who defends wings. Congrats team that drafts him, you  now know what position is best for him.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:41 AM, Bauncey Chillups said:

I think it's perfectly reasonable that I actually don't want us to draft Trae Young because his hair looks like ****.

So I am guessing you did not wanted the Magic to draft Payton too? Who cares about his hair as long he can play?