Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

3 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Thank you. No I wasn't being facetious, I wanted to see the 3 of them together. This totally supports my theory that Young could be Curry, or he could be Jimmer. I'm hoping he is in between but closer to Curry. We very well could be in a position to draft him without reaching :D I would take a chance with him over anybody but Ayton, Doncic,  JJJ, or Bamba. On the other hand there are a LOT of PGs in this draft and if we take a big with our 1st pick there will still be plenty of PGs left in the 2nd round and I'd take 2 of them and see who steps up. Graham and Carter would not be a bad haul along with a big.

Totally agree.  If we finish 4th we address the center position with JJJ or Bamba whoever is left standing.  I am pretty sure Ayton and Doncic will go 1 and 2 so we need ping pong ball luck for them.  Tony Carr from Penn State can play point and should be a potential  2nd round pick (or be aggressive and trade up) if we do not go PG in first round.  If we pick 5th Young seems to fit best.  Bagley (I like his skillset) duplicates what we have and Porter=Embiid (high risk high reward) and we need  a player not a risk.  Mikal Bridges same scenario as Bagley--good player who I like but duplicates what we have unless we get rid of Fournier and Ross.  Our first round pick needs to be a starter (barring injury) for us.

3 hours ago, Justin Jaudon said:

Again, short of murdering the players, I'm not sure what more the team could do to tank. I suppose they could find the alien basketball thing from Space Jam...

Murdering not necessary and against God's commandment.  You do what Dallas did, what Philly did for years.  The night after all their starters led them to victory none of them played against us.  Philly formula simple.  When you want to lose a game sit your best players.   Do you think they were too tired?  Do you think they were injured?  No they were not played to ensure losing.  It worked!  I am, and have been for decades, an NBA fan.  I despise tanking.  I love the NBA.  And I love the Magic.  This is a league issue to solve.  If tanking helps us and the league is allowing it (this year proves that more than any year I can remember--multiple teams tanking), then you play the game and tank for a better chance at an All Star.  Don't look now but Philly (the mother of all tankers) is in third place riding a 12 game winning streak challenging Cleveland.  And they have 2 first round picks and 4 second round picks this year.  Lakers, another model for tanking, just collected win 40 and has 3-4 good young players plus 2 max salary cap slots available this year while we win our way out of a better selection.  No  Lakers or Philly players killed in the process.  Choose which one you want, I have!!!

3 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

It's all about fun so with just a few games to go here is my prediction:

1. Phoenix 20 wins but MUST lose to Dallas to protect the worst record which also breaks our tie with Dallas.

2. Memphis 21 should not win another game and are hoping somehow Dallas out-tanks the Suns for a worst record tie. Need to lose to Sacramento in case Phoenix beats Dallas.

3. Atlanta 22 probably will not win another game but could win 1 without losing the 3nd worst record. They play no lottery teams. Successfully out-tanked us and has a lock on 3rd worst.

4. Magic 24 shouldn't win another game and if we don't we lock up 4th worst record providing Dallas can't out-tank Phoenix. If we win 1 we tie Dallas for 4th and if we win 2 we jump Dallas and tie Sacramento for 5th. If we follow our tradition of winning meaningless games at the end of the season and take 3 we jump both Dallas and Sacramento and have a 3 way tie with NY and Chicago which could end up picking as bad as 8th.

5. Dallas 25 unless somehow they figure out a way to let Phoenix beat them. Phoenix has worst record locked up if they don't win another game. Expect a football score!

6. Sacramento 26 should beat Memphis

7. Chicago 27 should tank both games against Brooklyn to get a better pick and keep the Cavs farther out

7. New York 27 probably won't win another game

8.  Brooklyn 28 should beat Chicago twice if the Bulls tank correctly.

Good postt and thanks for the update.  Hoping for scenario #4's first sentence.

4 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

Murdering not necessary and against God's commandment.  You do what Dallas did, what Philly did for years.  The night after all their starters led them to victory none of them played against us.  Philly formula simple.  When you want to lose a game sit your best players.   Do you think they were too tired?  Do you think they were injured?  No they were not played to ensure losing.  It worked!  I am, and have been for decades, an NBA fan.  I despise tanking.  I love the NBA.  And I love the Magic.  This is a league issue to solve.  If tanking helps us and the league is allowing it (this year proves that more than any year I can remember--multiple teams tanking), then you play the game and tank for a better chance at an All Star.  Don't look now but Philly (the mother of all tankers) is in third place riding a 12 game winning streak challenging Cleveland.  And they have 2 first round picks and 4 second round picks this year.  Lakers, another model for tanking, just collected win 40 and has 3-4 good young players plus 2 max salary cap slots available this year while we win our way out of a better selection.  No  Lakers or Philly players killed in the process.  Choose which one you want, I have!!!

We don't really need to go to those lengths though.  Gordon and the Lakeland magic aren't going to be good enough to win another game

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

You talk about Philly and L.A., while completely missing why they're doing better than us. It isn't that they out-tanked us. It's just not that simple.

L.A. got very lucky with the lottery. They've had three no.2 picks in a row, and moved UP in the draft for two of those. But if you look deeper into comparing our rebuilds, we've had the same number of top-5 picks, the same number of top-7 picks, and more top-10 picks. They're better (though I think not as much as some would like to think) for two reasons. 1) The draft lottery is designed to be risky and unpredictable, which means it's often unfair. L.A. moved UP in the draft twice. We didn't even once, throughout our longer rebuild. We moved DOWN three times. That's why I hate tanking. It guarantees you nothing but a top 4th or 5th pick (or even 6th), even if you're in the bottom 3 teams in the league. 2) L.A. hasn't mismanaged their team nearly as bad as Orlando has. L.A. made some bad choices, sure. They took on some bad contracts. But those haven't really hurt them. And they didn't trade away their best prospect, plus another lottery pick, for nothing. When they did trade a prospect, it was the right one, like if we'd sent Hezonja to OKC rather than Dipo. They didn't trade away picks because they thought "the draft flattened out" either. They drafted well, with no real busts and two good post-lottery picks in Clarkson and Kuzma. They traded well in shedding bad contracts and opening up Cap space for potential FA or just re-signing the guys they have. They've managed their team fairly well, though not perfectly.

Philly is riding the most horrendous tanking ever (so bad it prompted rule changes). But mostly, they got lucky (if you can call it that) by drafting two guys with top-3 picks who were actually injured (not fake injured, like you seem to want us to do now) for half their rebuild. Also they drafted a legitimate bust in the first 3 picks, in Okafor, and other busts. That allowed them to continue to be really, really bad until those two actual good players came back. On top of that, those players seem to be way above average for their already high draft positions. Embiid (who we could have drafted if we hadn't, again, been moved down a spot in the lottery) seems very much to be a generational talent. Simmons is at least a future All-Star, and probably a future superstar. Every other high pick they've made has been a total bust, with the exception of Dario Saric, who's just pretty good (and also, they got by robbing us in the Elf trade). Carter-Williams? Bust. Nerlens? Bust. Stauskas? Bust (though they somehow turned that bust into something via trade). Fultz, the freeking no. 1 pick in the draft? So far, bust. And they basically got rid of any player who wasn't going to be either a bum or a star. When it looked like Nerlens might be a solid pro, they jettisoned him. Above all, they were patient, and they didn't make any huge mistakes.

We didn't fail at tanking. We're not failing at tanking now. We just aren't that bad a team; we're winning games behind great performances from G-Leaguers. If it weren't for injuries, we'd probably be looking at as many as ten more wins, tying us with the Lakers' record. The new management group came into the season evaluating, and they've continued to do that. They've already made some huge mistakes, sure; but those mistakes weren't 'not tanking hard enough.'

You tell me to choose which one I want. But that's a false dilemma. We don't have to be Philly or the Lakers, and we didn't have to be this. We could be Indiana, who's right there with Philly in the standings. Their best player is a guy we drafted at the beginning of this rebuild. We could be Utah. They're on the verge of getting home court advantage in the West with a group of guys almost anyone could have had.

Please. Stop pretending that we aren't tanking. We are.

I'm so beyond tired of this team not tanking properly. Wasted so many years at this point with no end in sight. Being a Magic fan is worse than being a fan of any other team in the NBA and you're kidding yourself if you don't think so 

12 minutes ago, Pootie Tang said:

I'm so beyond tired of this team not tanking properly. Wasted so many years at this point with no end in sight. Being a Magic fan is worse than being a fan of any other team in the NBA and you're kidding yourself if you don't think so 

Tell that to the Sacramento King fans. 

45 minutes ago, Pootie Tang said:

How are we not tanking properly? We're sitting half the team.  We play non-nba players big minutes. If we lose out we'll have been on 19 win pace since November 10th. 

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

How are we not tanking properly? We're sitting half the team.  We play non-nba players big minutes. If we lose out we'll have been on 19 win pace since November 10th. 

None of that matters if we pick 5th or later. Porzingis/Hezonja draft all over again 

21 minutes ago, Pootie Tang said:

None of that matters if we pick 5th or later. Porzingis/Hezonja draft all over again 

We finished with 25 wins that year.  In order to draft Porzingis we needed to win 20 games.  In order to win only 20 games we needed to finish the season on a 0-19 run.  A losing streak that long isn't really practical.  It's only happened like 7 times in nba history.  

You're basically complaining about tobias' really good November and our 6-8 start that year. And that seems really stupid to complain about.  

• Upvote 1

I mean what was Vaughn thinking letting tobias hit a game winner against atlanta on December 13th 2014? Didn't he realize 66 games later we'd need that loss? 

• Upvote 3