Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

2 minutes ago, ML6 said:

From 2013-2016 this may be true.  2017 had Futlz/Ball/Fox, all of whom I find more appealing.  But it kind of feels like the absence of high-level PG prospects during those years hampers this a bit -- do we care if he's the best PG prospect if the rest haven't been that good to begin with?

IDK

That's a fajr question. Sometimes PGs take a while to develop like Nash, Kidd, Billups etc

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Magicfan1987 said:

he's a better shooter and passer than Fultz (by a huge margin) who went #1 last year. 

Young shot 66% on off ball catch and shoot opportunities. 54% on dribble pull ups before teams started double and tripling him at half court. he won't face that in the league. He lot up Jevon Carter twice, Carter's was the best point of attack defender in the NCAA last year. He'll be much more efficient in the league when he settles in. 

And I think that not being super athletic can be an advantage. The Westbrook and Rose types might not be the ideal teammates at times

7 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

he's a better shooter and passer than Fultz (by a huge margin) who went #1 last year. 

Young shot 66% on off ball catch and shoot opportunities. 54% on dribble pull ups before teams started double and tripling him at half court. he won't face that in the league. He lot up Jevon Carter twice, Carter's was the best point of attack defender in the NCAA last year. He'll be much more efficient in the league when he settles in. 

Part of it was also regression to the mean.  He ended the season shooting 36% from three which was also what he shot in HS.  There's really a lack of evidence to suggest that he's this otherworldly shooter.  Fultz shot 41% from three in college for comparison.

I think a portion of this is a semi-false narrative proliferating.  Kind of like how Elfrid's college reputation as a good defender has carried on this long (I heard David Griffin on XM state that PHX had just acquired an "incredible defender" -- a former NBA GM!).  Like, he's a good shooter I suppose; but is there really sufficient evidence to suggest he's worth betting your franchise's future on?  I'm not sure there is.  

7 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Add to this his ability to penetrate, validated by the high double digit free throws in multiple games, which would also lead to kick out passes, which he can do.  Will have to learn to minimize T/O's.  He can shoot, has range, tried 10 3's per game, and the NBA is now a 3 point shooting league.  Biggest opportunity for him is to prove he can get his shot off against elite defenders.  If the answer is "yes" I hope he is there for us to consider.  Where we appear to be drafting (likely 4 or 5 and I think 5 is more probable) it may come down to Bamba or Young.  I would favor Young even though I do find Bamba intriguing as well.  Just like Young's shooting skills better!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Young shot 66% on off ball catch and shoot opportunities. 54% on dribble pull ups before teams started double and tripling him at half court. he won't face that in the league. He lit up Jevon Carter twice, Carter's was the best point of attack defender in the NCAA last year. He'll be much more efficient in the league when he settles in. 

He had 41/32/82 shooting splits in two games against west Virginia with 14 turnovers. 

I don't care if a player scores 30 points if it takes him 34 possessions to get there.  

6 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Part of it was also regression to the mean.  He ended the season shooting 36% from three which was also what he shot in HS.  There's really a lack of evidence to suggest that he's this otherworldly shooter.  Fultz shot 41% from three in college for comparison.

I think a portion of this is a semi-false narrative proliferating.  Kind of like how Elfrid's college reputation as a good defender has carried on this long (I heard David Griffin on XM state that PHX had just acquired an "incredible defender" -- a former NBA GM!).  Like, he's a good shooter I suppose; but is there really sufficient evidence to suggest he's worth betting your franchise's future on?  I'm not sure there is.  

Compare S. Curry's senior year stats at Davidson to Trae Young's freshmen year stats at Oklahoma and you see very similar numbers.  Curry's shooting slightly better buyt not by that much, Young more free throws, more assists (better ability to penetrate) even though assist/T/O ratio similar.  Curry became a better shooter once he got to the NBA.  This is not to say Young will be Curry but it does deserve  consideration and evaluation.  The leading college scorer in a pretty good conference speaks volumes about his offensive potential.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

And I think that not being super athletic can be an advantage. The Westbrook and Rose types might not be the ideal teammates at times

those kneeeeeees

8 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

He had 41/32/82 shooting splits in two games against west Virginia with 14 turnovers. 

I don't care if a player scores 30 points if it takes him 34 possessions to get there.  

yeah screw Allen Iverson who needs those guys with DJ and The Mack

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Does anyone knows, who will be on the roster for the internationals, on this upcoming Nike Hoop Summit? I know Bathiste Tchouaffé is one of them, but I'm not finding any further information on the internet.

EDIT: Nevermind I found it.

4 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

yeah screw Allen Iverson who needs those guys with DJ and The Mack

This is ironic b/c I feel there's a pretty decent chance that his career follows a path closer to Augustin or Shelvin.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

Compare S. Curry's senior year stats at Davidson to Trae Young's freshmen year stats at Oklahoma and you see very similar numbers.  Curry's shooting slightly better buyt not by that much, Young more free throws, more assists (better ability to penetrate) even though assist/T/O ratio similar.  Curry became a better shooter once he got to the NBA.  This is not to say Young will be Curry but it does deserve  consideration and evaluation.  The leading college scorer in a pretty good conference speaks volumes about his offensive potential.

Compare Tim  Duncan's senior year stats at Wake Forest to Micheal Beasleys freshman stats at Kansas State.  This is not to say Beasley will be Duncan but it does deserve consideration and evaluation.  The leading college scorer in a pretty good conference speaks volumes about his offensive potential.  

The difference between a 36% three point shooter and a 39% three point shooter is gigantic.  A 36% three point shooting curry in the pros turns him from a MVP to Eric Gordon