Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

29 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

have stated I like our team and murder is a crime and violation of the 5th commandment of God and since I want to go to heaven, i recommend abstaining from murder.

It's actually the 6th, one off, just like our draft positions every year. Bad omen...

8-0

16 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

Three answers to your questions

1.  Teams that are tanking are the bad teams so yes they deserve a chance to get better.     They tank because the League does nothing about it as we saw with Philly and the Lakers.  You validate that with the Cuban fine which, in essence, was nothing.  I think tanking should be stopped but until the League does something that really works it will continue.  Possibly along with the fine would be a 3-5 position drop in the draft itself.  But the weasel Silver will not do anything like that.  This year Lakers fined $500,000 for tampering and then when caught a second time fined $10,000.  Have you ever herd of a second offense resulting in less of a penalty than the first one?  If you were warned once the penalty for the second offense should be amplified!  Not so much for the darliong Lakers  who got away with tampering with Shaq!!!  I am all for getting rid of the lottery and either going back to a draft based on record or as ?4thewin says No draft and free agency

2.  What is wrong with the Philly and Celtic scenario is the salary structure for rookies.  That is why good teams should not draft in front of teams with worse record no matter what! Unless we change to wither total free agency or rookies with free agency after their first year.  Celtics were the #1 seed last year and got the #1 draft pick.  Philly and Lakers doing the same thing!  And because they have had high picks the last few years they had low salaries for those rookies enabling them to sign Gordon Hayward to a max contract.  Lakers have two max contracgts this year and Philly has one.  Stockpiling/acquiring good players due to paying the low rookie scale IS inherently unjust and wrong!!!!

3. Teams only have so much money to spend so all free agents will not just go to the best teams.  And what is wrong with a rookie deciding to play elsewhere.  Should be their choice.  AND that really would solve TANKING!!!!  Warriors way over the salary cap so they could not sign Ayton in your scenario.  Teams will have to make wise decisions. Once again the weasel Silver and the NBA need to oversee tampering and not allowing teams to violate/manipulate the salary cap.  

do agree that the teams in the bottom ten are “bad”, but they are varying degrees of bad. 

Are the Mavericks as bad as their win loss record this season? I’d argue if they made an effort to compete rather than tank they’d be in a similar win loss category to the Hornets. Maybe it makes sense for them to tank in order to get a franchise changing talent to help them post-Dirk, but they aren’t playing as hard as they could because if they did they would have won more games. 

We aren’t really as bad as our record suggests, if we had stayed healthy all year and Vogel knew his best lineup and rotation, we could be right there with the Hornets (like the Mavericks should be). Instead we are where we are as a team because of injuries, general ineptitude, and inconsistency. The Mavericks are where they are because they are tanking rather than trying. 

I honestly do not think the lottery should reward teams like them. If you are trying your best and failing, fine; but if you aren’t trying your best and failing, you don’t deserve better odds. That’s why giving everyone the same odds could create a more competitive atmosphere because teams would need to be smarter and not rely on top picks. They’d have to take a page out of Denver and Utah’s book. If they can manage to rebuild without tanking and being terrible, then so can everyone else if they are a well run team. 

9 hours ago, the notorious S.A.C. said:

Wait for it....weve got another two wins in this streak....  could you imagine being the Dallas Mavericks in April beating the Orlando Magic 102-89. You break the tie with Orlando leaving Orlando as the 2nd worst team in the league. A meaningless win no doubt.....anybody remember Jimmy Jackson? He is the guy Dallas got after that tie breaking win....we got Shaquille O'neal....and its even worse the heat jumped them and got Alonzo Mourning. Laettner went to Minny leaving garbage for Dallas. Anyone want to know why Mark Cuban is deliberately tanking need only ask how much losing Shaquille O'neal cost the Mavs.

Microphone drop moment....two in a row now....it just sucks to be correct sometimes.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

It's actually the 6th, one off, just like our draft positions every year. Bad omen...

8-0

I am Catholic and it is the 5th commandment for the Roman Catholic faith, 6th for the Protestant faith.  But you are right about our draft position since we are going in the wrong direction!

2 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

I am Catholic and it is the 5th commandment for the Roman Catholic faith, 6th for the Protestant faith.  But you are right about our draft position since we are going in the wrong direction!

wow I did not know that, interesting.(about the commandment)

2 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Trae Young baby

dude I'd almost prefer any situation that FORCES us to take him as I'm not sure our team is smart enough too. 

Just now, Magicfan1987 said:

dude I'd almost prefer any situation that FORCES us to take him as I'm not sure our team is smart enough too. 

Yes. If we had like the 3rd pick we would chicken out and take a "safer" pick like Bagley or some ****

3 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

why do you think it's different?

Both sets of commandments address the same issues and they both include the same set of rules/commands (not suggestions) to follow.  It goes back to interpretation differences in the Book of Exodus.  They 10 commandments are not numbered in the Bible.  Numbering was done by the Church as a way to remember them.  St. Augustine established the numbering used by Roman  Catholics. Origen, another theologian, established the Protestant list of the 10 commandments.  Both valid and both have biblical reference.  Just different interpretations.