Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

10 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

I am not disagreeing with you. I am more of a gambler in that position when it comes to Porter. 

Porter “upside” better than Smith, Sexton, Carter, Shai and Miles in my opinion. 

I just don't understand how he can be a better bet than miles bridges when they have overlapping skill sets, miles is only 98 days older,  and porter has severe injury concerns.  

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I just don't understand how he can be a better bet than miles bridges when they have overlapping skill sets, miles is only 98 days older,  and porter has severe injury concerns.  

miles athleticism at least equals porters length 

Interesting article about Duke's defense with Bagley and Carter.

There are two games from earlier in the season that should worry NBA teams when evaluating Bagley and Carter. The first was an 89–84 loss to Boston College on December 9, and the second was an 81–77 loss to St. John’s on February 3. Neither Boston College (19–16) nor St. John’s (16–17) was good this season, but both played NBA-style offenses with multiple 3-point shooters spacing the floor around the pick-and-roll. Their guards sliced up Bagley and Carter off the dribble. Shamorie Ponds of St. John’s had 33 points on 12-of-23 shooting against Duke, while Ky Bowman and Jerome Robinson of Boston College combined for 54 points and 11 assists on 20-for-35 shooting. Neither of the two Duke big men could contain dribble penetration, and they both struggled as the help defender on the back side of the play.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/26/17163732/duke-zone-marvin-bagley-wendell-carter

46 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Size, length. 6’7” vs. 6’10”. Also Porter was considered to be the #1 pick of this year draft before the injury happened for a reason. 

2 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

Size, length. 6’7” vs. 6’10”. Also Porter was considered to be the #1 pick of this year draft before the injury happened for a reason. 

Shabazz Muhammad was the top pick going into his college year, things change

Hard not to like Luka after that video.

For something a little different, what are people's top 5-10 prospects that will make them most EXCITED (and least excited) to draft. Now for this to work I think we need to imagine a scenario where the spot you are picking a guy isn't a complete stretch or seen as a dumb pick (ie; landing number 1 and going with Shai). Best if it's just a regular pick (falling to 8th in the draft and taking Mikal Bridges). 

Mine are:

Trae Young (not with a top 5 pick but say we fell to 8-9 and he was there I'd be so excited going forward because he has some great skills that will hopefully transition to the NBA, some obvious red flags but with pick 9 man you'd have to be excited)

Bamba (the exact kind of center I always hope to build around)

JJJ (very close to Bamba for me, love the skill set and potential)

Doncic

Bruce Brown (lol. I took him with a later pick in my NBA 2K18 my league. Didn't know much about any non top 10 prospects so took him because of a position of need (and my Bulldogs name is Bruce haha). Over the next 3 seasons I developed him into a great prospect, first year barely saw the court but then in his second became a solid backup and then 3rd year he was my 6th man. His 3pt shooting is what I worked on and got it to a very respectable level. I'd be so pumped if we got him with a later pick).

My big depressing board:

Shai (if we take him top 7-8)

Bagley (just don't like his scout card, tbh haven't watched a lot of him, just reading about him I don't like him)

Porter (because of fear of injury)

Shake Milton (because if he turned out good we'd hear about it from Rock Legends for the next 20 years lol)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, magicdoc1 said:

Porter just declared.

If we fall in the draft, I think he's the best bet tbh. His injury is being wildly overrated here, and so is his performance in two games. He's a guy who can score and we sorely need that. Except for Simmons, nobody on the squad can get their own shot. 

1 hour ago, Ibn Battuta said:

His injury is being wildly overrated here

I guess you would know based on your experience googling discektomy 

• Upvote 1