Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

8 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Well you've always had a hard time projecting guys so I'm not surprised

That has no basis in fact and you know it. I've always run circles around your 'projections' and you can't stand it to the point where you've developed an emotionally-tied amnesia to what's been said over the years.  You're just mad because you thought that Jackson was a better prospect than Bagley, you spent the last two months convincing those that think you know more than you really do here of it, only to have it fall flat.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

I haven't been as impressed with Jackson as some here.  After his disappearance in the tournament I looked back on his season and he only had one maybe two good games against good teams.  If it wasn't for the early season performance against Duke he would have an atrocious line against top 25 teams...like 4 points 3 rebounds and not much else averages.  I understand he showed defensive potential but it takes more than that to be drafted near the top of this draft and he capitalized on a surprisingly easy schedule.  I don't see him getting picked in the top 5 anymore.  I'm sure he can turn out to be a strong player but he just doesn't have the upside to justify taking him over a handful of other players.  He should return for another year.  

I think he is a very impressive prospect and would love to have him but I agree with you in that I think it might be best if he takes another year to polish his game. He is so young to where it wouldn’t hurt his draft stock. Plus he might get even bigger over the next year

3 minutes ago, WarDamnMagic said:

I think he is a very impressive prospect and would love to have him but I agree with you in that I think it might be best if he takes another year to polish his game. He is so young to where it wouldn’t hurt his draft stock

I wasn't trying to imply that he doesn't have tools that could make him a really good player.  He does.  It's just not there right now.  The draft is deep enough at the top that he doesn't make that much sense.  That is all.  

I agree if he grew some more and found some semblance of offensive ability then he could be one of if not the top picks next draft.  That cash money comes calling though..

7 minutes ago, WarDamnMagic said:

I think he is a very impressive prospect and would love to have him but I agree with you in that I think it might be best if he takes another year to polish his game. He is so young to where it wouldn’t hurt his draft stock. Plus he might get even bigger over the next year

Generally speaking a prospect is better off developing his game in the nba vs college considering college has practice restrictions and a requirement to go to class.  

18 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

That has no basis in fact and you know it. I've always run circles around your 'projections' and you can't stand it to the point where you've developed an emotionally-tied amnesia to what's been said over the years.  You're just mad because you thought that Jackson was a better prospect than Bagley, you spent the last two months convincing those that think you know more than you really do here of it, only to have it fall flat.  

Sure buddy.  Sure.  

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Generally speaking a prospect is better off developing his game in the nba vs college considering college has practice restrictions and a requirement to go to class.  

While that's true from a pure developmental perspective if he's looking at being drafted ~6-7 this year vs. ~1-2 next year then he would be leaving a significant amount of money on the table getting drafted this year.  The single year salary benefit of being drafted this year would be more than negated by the end of his rookie scale salary, and his extension would be lower as well.  Plus he would run the risk of utilizing an extra year of his scale contract developing, which as we've noted with Mario, can cause implications at the end of said contract that don't benefit himself.  

There's always the risk of injury at the college level ruining him, but with the way contracts work unless he has good reason to believe he's going top 3-4 it would probably behoove him to wait until next year from a financial perspective.  

8 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

JJJ with another disappearing act today. Maybe he finishes strong 

I have seen that all year.  Gotta blame Izzo.  How do you play a top 5 pick only 15 minutes as he did in the game today.  I noticed that all year long.  I think Izzo did JJJ a disservice.  Myabe he knew he was one and done and played and developed other players.  Baffling!!!

5 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

cheering for Bulls and Knicks rest of the season to push those 8 and 9 seeds out of grasp. 

Who you cheering for tomorrow night.   Bulls play the Knicks  Knicks have one more win so I am a Bulls fan.  Memphis playing Brooklyn Cavaliers.  I am rooting for the Brooklyn Cavs to win so the Cavs get a worse pick!!!

5 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

I have seen that all year.  Gotta blame Izzo.  How do you play a top 5 pick only 15 minutes as he did in the game today.  I noticed that all year long.  I think Izzo did JJJ a disservice.  Myabe he knew he was one and done and played and developed other players.  Baffling!!!

He struggled with his defense and was in foul trouble in the first half, his offense was a liability throughout.  You gotta give the coach a reason to play you.  Can't speak to the entire season with this statement as its only relevant to the Syracuse game.  

5 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

He struggled with his defense and was in foul trouble in the first half, his offense was a liability throughout.  You gotta give the coach a reason to play you.  Can't speak to the entire season with this statement as its only relevant to the Syracuse game.  

I will be shocked if JJJ does not come out.  I did not see the game today but his stats for the year are 22 minutes per game/11.2 pts./game/53% shooting/40% three point shooting/80% Free throw shooting--did I say 80% free throw shooting/3.1 blocks/game/6 rebounds per game.  So a top 5 NBA player only gets 22 out of 40  minutes/game?  I watched a few MSU games this year and i can only blame Izzo and the coaches for not getting him more involved.  I would take JJJ or Bagley since I think both are better, from a skill set perspective, than anybody on our roster.  JJJ's game more suited to pro ball.  As with all rookies it will take a year or two.  JJJ probably a better fit since I see his potential at center more than Bagley's but Bagley is a special player!!  Hope we get a chance at either one.

5 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

Careful, might get your posts deleted.