Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

56 minutes ago, WarDamnMagic said:

Bamba is a difference maker. I see him being successful at the next level. Needs to improve lower body strength though. He’d be a great workout buddy for Isaac lol

I'm worried bamba is a guy who plays basketball because he's tall. Not because he loves it.  

I hate love of the game bull**** but it's just human nature to be ok at your job unless you have some passion. Not sure he's that guy.  

33 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm worried bamba is a guy who plays basketball because he's tall. Not because he loves it.  

I hate love of the game bull**** but it's just human nature to be ok at your job unless you have some passion. Not sure he's that guy.  

Damn what makes you think that? Is there something I don’t know? I thought he played with some passion today

Bamba plays like a guy who wants it, not sure where the assertion came from.  Watching MSU and Bucknell, MSU is going to get another game to play but Jackson is meh tonight. 

59 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Some sportspeople are like that. It is great when you get a player that lives and breaths the sport. People that play it for the love rather than the money, but does it really matter what motivates a player as long as they are good at what they do?

Not really. Granted this is not an NBA example but Curtley Ambrose was a great West Indian fast bowler for their cricket team. He came to the sport in his mid to late teens. It was never truly a passion for him, he preferred basketball, but he became great at it despite it not being his passion. Some people love what they do, others simply make use of what they are given and sometimes their genetics help them be great at something even if it's not their passion.

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

That's the thing with all these draft prospects, we see highlight videos, catch a game or 2, and rely on writers' opinions about how good these guys are. Sure there is lots of research and stats to look at but when it comes right down to it whether they can play in the NBA is a total crap shoot. And then we have the question of do they have the desire and drive to keep striving to get better?

Yes the top few picks have a better chance of being game changers, but look at all the really good players that have been drafted with later picks, even 2nd rounders in the last few years. If we end up with a later pick I would be very open to trading it for 2 picks in the teens. I know BPA is supposed to be the way to go but I really don't want to grab a 3rd young PF to play behind AG & Isaac, seems like a waste of a pick to me. I'd trade up and grab the best PG and C available with picks in the teens if it comes down to it.

9 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

That's the thing with all these draft prospects, we see highlight videos, catch a game or 2, and rely on writers' opinions about how good these guys are. Sure there is lots of research and stats to look at but when it comes right down to it whether they can play in the NBA is a total crap shoot. And then we have the question of do they have the desire and drive to keep striving to get better?

Yes the top few picks have a better chance of being game changers, but look at all the really good players that have been drafted with later picks, even 2nd rounders in the last few years. If we end up with a later pick I would be very open to trading it for 2 picks in the teens. I know BPA is supposed to be the way to go but I really don't want to grab a 3rd young PF to play behind AG & Isaac, seems like a waste of a pick to me. I'd trade up and grab the best PG and C available with picks in the teens if it comes down to it.

Sexton is my bet for the guy that becomes better than his draft sport from shear emotion, drive, and passion

2 hours ago, DirtDan2012 said:

Looks like another top draft prospect got bounced in the 1st round of the tourny. Ayton, Young and now Bamba are all out.

And all three did nothing to hurt their draft stock.  Their teams were not so good but each one showed why they are in the top 7.  Wish we could have seen another game for each one of them.  Porter coming on soon!!!

1 hour ago, WarDamnMagic said:

Damn what makes you think that? Is there something I don’t know? I thought he played with some passion today

I will take him after seeing him today.  Thought he worked hard, showed more offensive skills than I expected (even tried a 3).  A beast around the boards. His wing span does affect shots!  Still raw, still will need work.  Keeny Smith said it last night (talkinga bout Ayton) that the college game is tougher for centers because you have to throw the ball to them whereas guards do not have that problem.  Throw in to Bamba was nonexistent today but it is part of the pro game.  I think his skill set tranlates better the NBA than college.  AND he will not have to deal with college refs.  The 4th foul called on him was phantom at best.  No body contact, pure block and possible ticky tack touch after the block.  And on the next play down the floor, on an alley oop, Texas guy kocked down woth lots of body contact....No call!!!!  Cannot blame a big being confused/frustrated on how bad college refs really are!!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

I will take him after seeing him today.  Thought he worked hard, showed more offensive skills than I expected (even tried a 3).  A beast around the boards. His wing span does affect shots!  Still raw, still will need work.  Keeny Smith said it last night (talkinga bout Ayton) that the college game is tougher for centers because you have to throw the ball to them whereas guards do not have that problem.  Throw in to Bamba was nonexistent today but it is part of the pro game.  I think his skill set tranlates better the NBA than college.  AND he will not have to deal with college refs.  The 4th foul called on him was phantom at best.  No body contact, pure block and possible ticky tack touch after the block.  And on the next play down the floor, on an alley oop, Texas guy kocked down woth lots of body contact....No call!!!!  Cannot blame a big being confused/frustrated on how bad college refs really are!!

Well said I was also impressed with his offense and I think isaac and his length could totally disrupt the best of offenses! That 4th foul was crap and I know the play you’re talking about I thought he should have gotten the foul call there too!