Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

Just now, Murphy13 said:

Bagley compares favorably to Jackson in many ways.  Jackson looks good, especially on the defensive side.  Bagley looks special on offense.  They are both good talents.

At one point right before the conference championships opponents were shooting 25% against Jackson in the paint.  He's also a 40% three point shooter.  I think they're on different tiers as prospects.  

38 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

At one point right before the conference championships opponents were shooting 25% against Jackson in the paint.  He's also a 40% three point shooter.  I think they're on different tiers as prospects.  

I have to agree with this , Jackson is a rare player indeed

35 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I think you can hide a big man on offense better than you can on defense too. If you have two similarly talented big men, but one is offensively talented and the other defensively, you take the defensive player first, I think. It helps the overall team better as a big that is bad defensively hurts the team more than a big that is bad offensively.

I think it is probably opposite for Guards/Wings, where you generally take the offensive player over the defensive player.

10 minutes ago, Odin said:

I think you can hide a big man on offense better than you can on defense too. If you have two similarly talented big men, but one is offensively talented and the other defensively, you take the defensive player first, I think. It helps the overall team better as a big that is bad defensively hurts the team more than a big that is bad offensively.

I think it is probably opposite for Guards/Wings, where you generally take the offensive player over the defensive player.

just look at Kevin love

1 hour ago, Odin said:

Yeah but beyond that he's not a bad offensive player.  He's not getting shots on a team where he's basically the only freshman that plays real minutes.  But he's shooting 66% at the rim.  44% mid range and 45% from nba range three (he's crappy in the corners for some reason). And an  80% free throw shooter.  

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah but beyond that he's not a bad offensive player.  He's not getting shots on a team where he's basically the only freshman that plays real minutes.  But he's shooting 66% at the rim.  44% mid range and 45% from nba range three (he's crappy in the corners for some reason). And an  80% free throw shooter.  

Yeah, not at all saying that he is. If anything that is even better. More just a general statement on what you would want from a player. Honestly, I get most of my knowledge about the draft from the board and from the rest of the internet. Don't have the time or the inclination to sit and watch college ball.

Honestly, from what I've read, he is tied with Doncic with who I would want if we get a top 3 pick. Ayton, as talented as he may be, worries me with his defensive weaknesses.

As a bit of an aside, I think that defense truly is an underrated skill in the NBA. We often hear that guys just need to work harder, put more effort into defense, but I think that only gets players so far. True talent and ability does exist on that side of the court, and we have to realize that, for all of the "tools" and "potential" a player might have to be a great defender, they may not have a true talent for it.

5 hours ago, WarDamnMagic said:

Agreed I think anywhere after 7 I would take him. But the question is would you trade that pick to philly for their 2 picks? You could end up with sga/maybe young and one of Lonnie walker/Zaire smith.

side note I think Mikal Bridges is going to fly up draft boards after the tournament 

If we did land a pick in the 7-10 range, I could understand the team deciding to trade back with Philly or the Clippers. If their picks end up being 11 and 19 or 12 and 18, we could get two good young talents. However, would we just be adding decent complimentary talent rather than a potential contributor?

I've said previously I consider there to be a top seven: Ayton, Jackson, Bamba, Doncic, Young, Porter and Bagley. I think we can add Mikal Bridges to that list to make it eight. I'd be fairly happy with any of that eight, though I would be concerned how Porter and Bagley would fit with Isaac and Gordon. Maybe Mikal as well if he plays forward not shooting guard.

After that it's Collin Sexton, Wendell Carter and Kevin  Knox. All three have some appeal. Sexton is similar to Fox. Carter has been compared to Horford, if we could get that kinda player we should be very happy. And Knox is less appealing since we have Isaac and Gordon.

If we did move to 11 and we could still get one of them, but any lower than that and we are looking at Miles Bridges, Lonnie Walker (etc) and they are less appealing. I suppose there's a chance we could get our Giannis or Mitchell or Hood, but knowing our luck that wouldn't be the case. 

For me, I'd prefer to stay the course and use our pick. Even if we have to select Porter or Bagley at 7 or 8, I'd go with that over the players likely to be available from 12 onwards. At least then you can work out how to play the forwards together and whether or not the team trades Gordon/Isaac to fill another need.

• Upvote 1

Bamba is a difference maker. I see him being successful at the next level. Needs to improve lower body strength though. He’d be a great workout buddy for Isaac lol

20 minutes ago, DirtDan2012 said:

Looks like another top draft prospect got bounced in the 1st round of the tourny. Ayton, Young and now Bamba are all out.

see, you can't use college success to project professional career! That settles it!