Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Since 1-30-18 JJJ has improved, ayton has averaged 22/13/2.2 blocks on 61/43/73 shooting, other guys are improving.  

Trae has averaged 21 points 7 assists and 5 turnovers on 35/26/95 shooting.  His team is 2-8. 

That’s what I’ve seen. He’s been bad the last couple of months. I think he’s going to drop in the draft a bit unless he plays lights out in the tournament. 

smh.... Trae Young was incredible for about 10 games until teams figured out how to defend him. If he can't beat press defense in college, what makes you think he'll be able to in the pros. He's a very big gamble imo.

3 minutes ago, DirtDan2012 said:

smh.... Trae Young was incredible for about 10 games until teams figured out how to defend him. If he can't beat press defense in college, what makes you think he'll be able to in the pros. He's a very big gamble imo.

Its not just that.  

There's a few indications that Mikal Bridges might be great.  He's hyper efficient in every playtype.  But if he's not the next star sg he might be a third option two way sg. And if he's not that he might be a fourth or fifth option on offense and a good defender.  And if he's not that he can be thabo sefolosha.  There's a wide range of options and backup plans.  

With young he's either going to be able to get off his shot against nba defenders and be some star player that's not curry.  Or he's going to be a bench scorer.  I can't really envision a scenario where he's just a pretty good starter.  

21 minutes ago, DirtDan2012 said:

What makes me think he'll have a chance is that none of the other guys on his team will probably even make the G league, they suck. Trae is 90% of the offense on his team so other teams don't have to waste their best defenders on anyone else.  I think if you put 4 other players on the court that can play with Young at the helm he will be a very good passer, shoot long range when needed, and will make some crafty drives to the basket. My biggest concern with him is his defense. If for some uncanny reason we keep Vuc and his stellar rim protection there is no way we can draft Young, and would need to be looking at Sexton, Milton, or Gilgeous-Alexander if we go with a PG.

2 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I really like Sexton's desire to win and do what it takes. He MAY be more NBA ready than Young and I see him as an even better DSJ.

I'm still a big fan of Brunson. Kid just wins on all levels and has a well rounded game.

So one of the announcers this past weekend of the SEC tournament said teams were considering Sexton in the top 3 of the draft. Honestly, I don’t buy it. However, the more I watched him dominate the SEC tournament, especially get to the free throw line at will, the more I was reminded of Wade at Marquette. Obviously, Sexton is peaking at the right time. If he continues to peak in the tournament, I think the Wade comp is interesting. For those who care, here are the college stats for both: 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/collin-sexton-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dwyane-wade-1.html

Just now, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I really like Sexton's desire to win and do what it takes. He MAY be more NBA ready than Young and I see him as an even better DSJ.

He's not.  DSJ is a better shooter and has a better first step and outlier level athleticism.  So dsj has more tools and thus was a better prospect.  

Whether that materializes as a better career is a different story.  A whole bunch of factors that aren't predictable go into that.  But if we're just talking about prospect evaluation dsj was a significantly better prospect.  

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

He's not.  DSJ is a better shooter and has a better first step and outlier level athleticism.  So dsj has more tools and thus was a better prospect.  

Whether that materializes as a better career is a different story.  A whole bunch of factors that aren't predictable go into that.  But if we're just talking about prospect evaluation dsj was a significantly better prospect.  

Yeah I'm still surprised we didn't take him, I was very high on him last year.

3 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

So one of the announcers this past weekend of the SEC tournament said teams were considering Sexton in the top 3 of the draft. Honestly, I don’t buy it. However, the more I watched him dominate the SEC tournament, especially get to the free throw line at will, the more I was reminded of Wade at Marquette. Obviously, Sexton is peaking at the right time. If he continues to peak in the tournament, I think the Wade comp is interesting. For those who care, here are the college stats for both: 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/collin-sexton-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dwyane-wade-1.html

I don't see wade at all.  Wade was a more dynamic defender.  

People are bringing up kemba walker but kemba was a better mid range guy

6 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't see wade at all.  Wade was a more dynamic defender.  

People are bringing up kemba walker but kemba was a better mid range guy

Hmmm. I see his attacking a lot like Wade. He’s smaller but actually lives more at the line than Wade did. As to defense, I think Sexton is one of the best in the country. I know he gets called out for a lack of steals, but he’s nothing but nasty in manning up.