Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

Doncic vs Ayton is interesting for us. They both fill a position of great need but the choice is one that pulls the whole franchise in either one direction or the other. 

Doncic is all about whether he can overcome athletic limitations to continue to be the kind of player he is in Europe in the NBA. You'd think at the least he'll probably be like a solid starter with the potential to be a generational offensive talent and a sort of "safe but hopeful" upside of like a Peja Stojakovic type career. If you draft Doncic and he reaches his potential the focus is on getting a big defensive PG who is happy to play off ball and shoot 3s and can guard some 2 guards. You'll also probably need a conventional defensive big man (unless you believe in Birch?). With Doncic as the main facilitator and long athletic players like Isaac and Gordon around him you've potentially got the core of a successful team for a very long time.

With Ayton I really have no idea how to project him. You watch him in college and he's just so dominant on offense and on the glass and his size and frame make you think he's going to be like a David Robinson or something but he's not really shown the defensive skills you want from a 7'1 center so then it becomes about if you can teach him those things and believe he can be good enough on defence (in a defence critical position in my opinion) to not invalidate what he does on offense and the glass. If he can't you've basically just drafted another Vuc situation. I think Ayton is always going to be a double double big at minimum given the minutes and then it's just a question of how big those numbers are and how impactful he becomes on both sides of the ball. If you draft Ayton the focus is very much still on trying to find a point guard who can share the ball and get it to Gordon, Isaac and Ayton in the positions they need to be in. But you'd hope that with those 3 in the front court they might be able to make up for some defensive limitations of the PG and there's the makings of a great defensive team there somewhere I think. 

If we get the opportunity to pick either id be ecstatic. If we get the choice though it won't change the fact that long term we'll still need to address the point guard position. If we don't draft one I don't think we'll be able to find much of an upgrade this summer. Next summer there's guys like Corey Joseph, Patrick Beverley, Jeremy Lin, Spencer Dinwiddie and Kemba who I think would all be upgrades but I dunno how much cap room we'll have and whether we'll look like an attractive destination for free agents by then or not.

5 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

This draft is one of those where you'll look back at it in a few years and ask "how the hell did they pass on that guy?"

So many options but I don't know for sure who's going to be the top dog

yeah that's exactly it! Aytons athleticism, Bambas size, Youngs style mold, Doncics early production. 

Ok, here's my top 5. hopefully I'll hold this till draft day.

#1 Trae Young

#2 Deandre Ayton

#3 Luka Doncic

#4 Mohammad Bamba

#5 Jarren Jackson Jr.

5 was a toss up of JJJ and Bagley. Porter wasn't the most athletic guy to begin with, average in terms of NBA but after injury things don't look good.

53 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Ok, here's my top 5. hopefully I'll hold this till draft day.

#1 Trae Young

#2 Deandre Ayton

#3 Luka Doncic

#4 Mohammad Bamba

#5 Jarren Jackson Jr.

5 was a toss up of JJJ and Bagley. Porter wasn't the most athletic guy to begin with, average in terms of NBA but after injury things don't look good.

As much as I like the idea of having Young you just can't take him before Doncic or Ayton. I wish there was some way we could trade up for a 2nd top 5 pick and take Young and 1 of the other 2.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

As much as I like the idea of having Young you just can't take him before Doncic or Ayton. I wish there was some way we could trade up for a 2nd top 5 pick and take Young and 1 of the other 2.

Don't see how you could do that without moving Aaron, who we can't trade until he resigns, and a future unprotected 1st, which I wouldn't do. I honestly believe with a legit offensive oriented top pick in this (hopefully) or next year's draft, that we'll have a nice core to go with JI and AG. We NEED an offensive initiator and this draft has what looks to be 2 elite players  for just that in Young and Doncic

As of right now, Young is not high on my board:

1. Ayton

2. Doncic

3. JJJ

4. Bamba

5. Bagley 

6. Sexton

7. Carter 

8. Mikal Bridges

I especially believe the top five is compelling in this draft, though I’m intrigued by Sexton, Carter and Bridges. 

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We're going to get the 6th pick and draft Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. You heard it here first

I was just about to ask about him. He seems to check a lot of boxes.

2 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I was just about to ask about him. He seems to check a lot of boxes.

Yeah i like other guys more.  But he's a tall point guard who can shoot lately and has enough big game production to take him high. And he's 19. 

6 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We're going to get the 6th pick and draft Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. You heard it here first

I like him at 6'6 but do you take him over Young or Sexton? At 6'6 I also like Shake Milton. Hopefully the tournament and workouts will make a clearer picture.

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

If that is the case we will not be picking at 6 and will be trading down our pick for the suns or philadelphia 2 later first rounders. 

28 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I like him at 6'6 but do you take him over Young or Sexton? At 6'6 I also like Shake Milton. Hopefully the tournament and workouts will make a clearer picture.

Maybe above Sexton but at 6 I go with either Bamba, Young,  Bagley and even Porter over Shai. 

I expect Ayton, Doncic, JJJ going top 3. After that is eveyone’s guess for those 4 guys a previously mentioned.