Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

10 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Ok so I finally have a top 5 , I think. So here goes it...

#1 -Deandre Jordan, elite bigs are hard to come by and out of Ayton, Embiid, and Towns, Ayton is arguably the most athletic. He looks like a perennial all star.

#2 - Luka Doncic, this is a guy I made grow on me throughout the season. He is still the highest ranked player in all of Euroleague in index score, I guess that's their version of player efficiency rating and he turned 19 Wednesday, as in 2 days ago. 

#3 - Trae Young, I buy his assists, floor spacing, and dribble skills in that order. I believe he'll be better in the league because he'll have much more space to operate in and better players to playmake for. Questions about his burst athleticism are worth hearing although I believe his first step is underrated. One aspect of athleticism that isn't brought up much is core balance and he and Doncic seems to have it in spades. This bodes well for their abilities to get there shots off the dribble, their feet are always well set and their body control is impecable.

#4- Jarren Jackson Jr. , this player is almost impossible not to love. I hate the for with our current rosters future (AG and Isaac) are we really going to bring in a guy who's best position could be the 4? He could probably play the 5 but that's still not a sure thing. Again,  love the player hate the for for team building, which Is love to assume our team is doing....

#5 Michael Porter Jr. , this is the guy, that if healthy, you say screw fit and draft the highest offensive upside player. More scoring upside than Tatum, Brown, Fultz, Jackson, or anyone I can think of that's come out in a long time. 

Deandre Jordan? What don't you see in Bagley?

Just now, Murphy13 said:

Always draft 30 year old players already in the NBA.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My top 5 has changed over the past few weeks and likely will chabge again after the NCAA tournament. Right now I have: 

1. JJJ. Maybe I am placing him too high but I do see so much talent here. He will get even better. He is going to be really good.

2. Ayton. Still the number one option for the many. I am very still high on him but not as much as I am with JJJ.

3. Doncic. He is going to be really really good. Hope we can get him. Can his game truly  translate to the NBA? That is the question for many. I think it will.

4. Porter Jr. He is in the same boat as Doncic talent wise. He is NBA ready but his back injury and surgery concerns me. I really need to see him play a few games before the draft but his stock will not and should not go any higher.  I cant see him going higher than Doncic. No way. 

5. Bamba. Too much potential. Best defender in the group and that is what the magic needs. Slightly better defender than JJJ. 

I have Young out of the top 5( I had him  # 2 a few weeks ago)to # 6 followed by Bagley at 7. 

21 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

Ayton* sorry, had to update my spell check :)

I like Bagley but his defense is really concerning for a big.  a big with no defensive upside is playing smaller than his size. I've also read he's more of a 6'9" guy with an above average neck. Orlando hasn't faired well with players with neck issues, see Dipo.

45 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Ayton* sorry, had to update my spell check :)

I like Bagley but his defense is really concerning for a big.  a big with no defensive upside is playing smaller than his size. I've also read he's more of a 6'9" guy with an above average neck. Orlando hasn't faired well with players with neck issues, see Dipo.

I played ball for a while with a guy that was 7' but he was built like a long neck beer LOL. The extra height was meaningless.

• Like 1

The tallest person I ever played with was maybe 6'10" and his deficiency in skill set was completely overshadowed by his length.  Height is everything in basketball.  That doesn't mean every 7-footer should be good at basketball but height will make or break you as it relates to opportunities.  Perfect example is my old teammate Kevin Kruger, he had tons of skills and coaching (obviously) but despite all that he was a short 6'2" and didn't get much of a chance until he got to play with his dad again.  If I had a couple more inches (and better S&C at a young age to prevent injury) I'd like to think I would have played a bit longer.  Length is everything.  

43 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

The tallest person I ever played with was maybe 6'10" and his deficiency in skill set was completely overshadowed by his length.  Height is everything in basketball.  That doesn't mean every 7-footer should be good at basketball but height will make or break you as it relates to opportunities.  Perfect example is my old teammate Kevin Kruger, he had tons of skills and coaching (obviously) but despite all that he was a short 6'2" and didn't get much of a chance until he got to play with his dad again.  If I had a couple more inches (and better S&C at a young age to prevent injury) I'd like to think I would have played a bit longer.  Length is everything.  

length is everything until you walk into the length bar and can't even order a drink.

Mic drop

34 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

I played in an 18 and up league until I was 55 when I started getting cramps in my calves and gave it up. I enjoy life each day too much to do any recovery time because I pushed it too hard. I'm only 6' with very limited hops but in the beginning of each game I told whoever I was guarding that if they tried to dunk on me I'd snatch them out of the air, slam them on the ground, help them up, and hand them the ball for their 2 shots. I told them I have 5 fouls to give, and asked how many do they want me to use? LOL, nobody dunked on me. I'm pretty solid and people that bump into me tend to bounce off and fall down so I guess I was convincing. What I would have given to be 7' with my same skill set.

• Downvote 1

Probably need to start paying attention to Shamorie Ponds. Overall numbers aren't great but he's currently on a 7 game streak of 29/5/5 on 50/44/91 including wins against Duke and Villanova

32 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Probably need to start paying attention to Shamorie Ponds. Overall numbers aren't great but he's currently on a 7 game streak of 29/5/5 on 50/44/91 including wins against Duke and Villanova

Impressive run.  Looks like his sophomore year.  Is he coming out?  If so, he has some things to look at.  44 point effort against Marquette was eye-opening!   Still like Doncic or Young first!

20 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

Impressive run.  Looks like his sophomore year.  Is he coming out?  If so, he has some things to look at.  44 point effort against Marquette was eye-opening!   Still like Doncic or Young first!

You wouldn't take him in the lottery.