Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, Mike1989 said:

It depends on who you want and how far we are trading up. For example if we pick 5 and want Trae Young but the team picking first want to draft a big (Ayton, Jackson or Bamba), add a player like Fournier and  any other potential picks, then maybe they go for that because they can still get the player they want and add assets?

It would be like the 49ers and Bears trade. The 49ers wanted Solomon Thomas whereas the Bears wanted Matt Trubisky. The Bears didn't want anyone to jump ahead of them or risk the 49ers changing their mind, so they made a trade and both teams got what they wanted even though they didn't have to trade to make it happen.

After all there isn't a huge difference in the top five to seven players to make teams hesitant at trading back. So if you want a big and someone wants a guard and you can acquire assets by moving down a couple or so picks, then it might make sense for them. Unless we are talking about acquiring another high lottery pick then it that case it would be fairly difficult.

We're going to repeat history. We'll finish outside of the top 5 but in a weaker draft.

All the legit talent/potential will be pretty much gone.

1 hour ago, Magicman28 said:

We're going to repeat history. We'll finish outside of the top 5 but in a weaker draft.

All the legit talent/potential will be pretty much gone.

Yeah we should all be focusing on who we can get in the 7-9 range. Our organization is too stupid to tank for a potential star in one of the best drafts in a very long time. Sexton is in my 7-9th choice range so I hope he is still there when we pick. I don't think he is near as good as Young because he doesn't shoot or see the court as well, but I think his aggressiveness, defense,  and attitude make him pretty close to starter ready.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Yeah we should all be focusing on who we can get in the 7-9 range. Our organization is too stupid to tank for a potential star in one of the best drafts in a very long time. Sexton is in my 7-9th choice range so I hope he is still there when we pick. I don't think he is near as good as Young because he doesn't shoot or see the court as well, but I think his aggressiveness, defense,  and attitude make him pretty close to starter ready.

I’d rather take one of the bigs who fall or Mikal Bridges over Sexton in that 7-9 range. I don’t want to spend a top 10 pick on a pg who is going to have the ball in their hands every possession but isn’t an elite passer, shooter, or shot creator. Give me the 3 and D multi-positional defender or the rim protector like Bamba who don’t need the ball to be difference makers. Let’s not waste 4 more years finding out that an average starting PG isn’t going to cut it. 

9 minutes ago, Mack1085 said:

I’d rather take one of the bigs who fall or Mikal Bridges over Sexton in that 7-9 range. I don’t want to spend a top 10 pick on a pg who is going to have the ball in their hands every possession but isn’t an elite passer, shooter, or shot creator. Give me the 3 and D multi-positional defender or the rim protector like Bamba who don’t need the ball to be difference makers. Let’s not waste 4 more years finding out that an average starting PG isn’t going to cut it. 

I think the most interesting question of this class is this: can Mikal Bridges play shooting guard?

This was published by HoopsHype:

Shooting Guard / 6-7 / Michigan State (they messed up the school with Miles)/ Sophomore (same)
17.8 ppg, 5.5 rpg

Bridges is having a breakout junior season, nearly doubling his scoring output from 9.8 ppg to 17.8 ppg. He’s also been highly effective shooting 45 percent from deep and hitting nearly three per game. He has the size and skill set to be a prototype 3-and-D type with his 7-foot wingspan and prolific three-point shooting ability. Bridges also uses his length well to fill up the stat sheet with steals and blocks. He should look to get stronger in order to become better at finishing plays at the rim.

I think what's equally important as having an elite creative 3 point shooting point guard is a 3 and D shooting guard who can help defend the elite points the way Thompson does for Curry. Not saying Mikal is Thompson offensively of course but you can see the prototype comparison from a size and defensive standpoint. I have a feeling were going to load up on 3 and D guys until we can drop an engine in and really get the thing moving. the engine being an elite point guard

5 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

I think the most interesting question of this class is this: can Mikal Bridges play shooting guard?

He can defend shooting guards and he can shoot so yes. The real question is will he be able to do anything outside of that or is he another Ariza/Danny Green.

4 minutes ago, Tank Vogel said:

He can defend shooting guards and he can shoot so yes. The real question is will he be able to do anything outside of that or is he another Ariza/Danny Green.

IF you can get Ariza or Danny green late in the lottery I think that's a win

Even as a late lottery team we can still manage to pick players like Mitchell Robinson or Musa. Any of those two will be  a great pick for a late lottery pick. It will ideal to have a top 5 pick but if we end at the bottom of the lottery pick then any of those two players will be great to have. 

54 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

Even as a late lottery team we can still manage to pick players like Mitchell Robinson or Musa. Any of those two will be  a great pick for a late lottery pick. It will ideal to have a top 5 pick but if we end at the bottom of the lottery pick then any of those two players will be great to have. 

Does nothing to really tip the scales. If we're never, ever going tank,we gotta start getting scale tipping talent in here somehow.