Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

13 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

Agree. And he truly have the PG skills necessary to run an offense. Doesnt He lead the league in assits? 

I remeber when Westbrook came to the league and people were saying he is not a true PG because he shoots too much. Well.... get some of that westbrook over here!

I dont want a Rondo like player! I want a Westbrook, Curry, Paul type of player in our team. Young can potentially be that guy.

He's not Westbrook.  Westbrook is an outlier level athlete.  

Young is Steve Nash if Steve Nash was doing a "last game of his career kobe" impression

50 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

We were successful with Jameer but each case is different.

I would love to see a lineup of

Young, Hezonja, Isaac, Gordon, Biyombo or Birch 

Love that line up

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

[Raises hand]. 

I’ve watched Young a lot and, from the eyeball test, he’s a small dude in height, length and weight. That doesn’t mean he won’t be solid in the pros but it is what it is.

But my response to that is so what?! Chris Paul is probably closer to 5'10 than he is 6'0. Isaiah is freaking 5'9 and I'd gladly take what Boston did with him as their PG.

7 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

You wanna see this team look special and have some hype and promise for the future, draft young 

draft young

draft young

draft young

DRAFT YOUNG

I really hope Trae has a commercial like this one day. I want magic to draft him just as bad as you do bud

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Very Golden State like

If Isaac can come back from injury and live up to his potential, if we draft Trae and he proves he’s the real deal and not just Jj Barea, and if we are able to resign Mario and he keeps improving then we are somewhat on that track! It’s a lot of “ifs” but it’s at least something fun to think about and hope for!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Magicman28 said:

But my response to that is so what?! Chris Paul is probably closer to 5'10 than he is 6'0. Isaiah is freaking 5'9 and I'd gladly take what Boston did with him as their PG.

And that's ultimately the problem.  Fans keep saying "Chris Paul! Steph Curry!" You're using hall of fame level players. Outlier level careers. 

Chris Paul was a 47/47/84 shooter in college

Curry was a 47/41/88 shooter in college

Buddy hield was a 50/46/88 shooter his senior year.  

Trae is a 44/39/84 shooter and that's trending down to 42/36/84 in conference

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

And that's ultimately the problem.  Fans keep saying "Chris Paul! Steph Curry!" You're using hall of fame level players. Outlier level careers. 

That's obviously because Trae is an outlier player HIMSELF . No one's done what he's doing. And being double and triple teamed is likely to lower your field goal percentages. Please remember he's a FRESHMAN. And believe me, the dude is fresh to death

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Magicfan1987 said:

That's obviously because Trae is an outlier player HIMSELF . No one's done what he's doing. And being double and triple teamed is likely to lower your field goal percentages. Please remember he's a FRESHMAN. And believe me, the dude is fresh to death

Every best player gets doubled.  

He's got outlier usage.  It's inflating his numbers across the board.  It's why he's also pretty likely to eclipse the single season turnover record before the post season even starts.  

So, as a non college hoops guy, I think a good way to talk about these things is to talk about the scope of a player's potential. Most players never reach the upper bounds of what they are projected as possibly being in the league, so looking at any one player and saying that drafting the player will give us a player in the caliber of Chris Paul or Steph Curry is setting yourself up for disappointment.

(Projections are also sometimes wrong in the opposite way, A la completely missing on the top level potential of later picks.)

That isn't to say that he doesn't have star potential, but proclaiming any player to be an outlier player in the NBA prior to the player actually playing in the NBA is not much more than wishful thinking. Step back from the hyperbole and take a nuanced look at the player. What are issues that the player might face in the NBA? What weaknesses does the current player have? What is the potential upside, and how difficult will it be to overcome these hurdles?

26 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Ok so at the moment he's 3 percentage points from the field and 2 percentage points from the 3 away from a championship all star PG.