Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

12 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

We could all be sleeping on Sexton. Here's what I like about him:

• Size
  • Athleticism
  • Crazy aggressiveness on both ends
  • Leadership

Dude is a pitbull like Westbrook. The stuff he has you cannot teach. Yes, he's a scoring one guard, and yes, his stroke is a work in progress. But he's pretty nasty and still young.

Those are great attributes but none of them are basketball skills. If I make a list of things I like about a basketball player and none of them are skills based, 95% of the time I don’t think I’m talking about a future top tier player. If we fall outside the top 7 he’d be a fine upside project but ultimately he’s probably a middle of the road starting PG in this league. I also think he’s benefiting from the backlash over Trae and is being positioned as a counterpoint - as if his aggressiveness is as elite as Trae’s shooting or as hard to come by.

I get the people concerned about Trae’s ability to be a star in the NBA but people shouldn’t feel like they need to prop up Sexton to make that point. (To be clear, not saying Soul Bro is doing that, I’ve just seen it a lot.)

Where is all this Trae Young is too small not athletic enough **** coming from? Have some of y'all been living in a cave for the last decade? Chris Paul?!

Geez. We get a front office that loves length and now we're all a sudden infatuated with length that we're willing to ignore a *****ing baller who's doing **** that we haven't seen in a while in college basketball. Oh and he's a PG btw. And he can shoot. Like, realllllly shoot.

sigh. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mack1085 said:

Those are great attributes but none of them are basketball skills. If I make a list of things I like about a basketball player and none of them are skills based, 95% of the time I don’t think I’m talking about a future top tier player. If we fall outside the top 7 he’d be a fine upside project but ultimately he’s probably a middle of the road starting PG in this league. I also think he’s benefiting from the backlash over Trae and is being positioned as a counterpoint - as if his aggressiveness is as elite as Trae’s shooting or as hard to come by.

I get the people concerned about Trae’s ability to be a star in the NBA but people shouldn’t feel like they need to prop up Sexton to make that point. (To be clear, not saying Soul Bro is doing that, I’ve just seen it a lot.)

I think people are propping up Sexton because there is a chance that he will still be available when we get our non-tanking pick. I think there are a lot of teams that are going to tank to get those potential all-stars off the board long before we pick. With Vuc, Isaac, & AG back I think we pick 7-9 if there are no further injuries. With KP out I think NYK drop like a rock and our meaningless wins will give us a better record by the end of the season. Picking ahead of us should be Atlanta, Sacramento, Phoenix, Dallas, Memphis, NYK, probably Brooklyn, and maybe even Chicago. I would love for Young to fall back that far but the odds are we'll be looking at Sexton.

2 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I think people are propping up Sexton because there is a chance that he will still be available when we get our non-tanking pick. I think there are a lot of teams that are going to tank to get those potential all-stars off the board long before we pick. With Vuc, Isaac, & AG back I think we pick 7-9 if there are no further injuries. With KP out I think NYK drop like a rock and our meaningless wins will give us a better record by the end of the season. Picking ahead of us should be Atlanta, Sacramento, Phoenix, Dallas, Memphis, NYK, probably Brooklyn, and maybe even Chicago. I would love for Young to fall back that far but the odds are we'll be looking at Sexton.

Then we will have another pg who can’t shoot and you all will be throwing him under the bus in a couple years. 

9 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Then we will have another pg who can’t shoot and you all will be throwing him under the bus in a couple years. 

Yeah there is always that risk. On the other hand he may become a great shooter? I'm willing to give him a couple of years to develop and I definitely like his aggressiveness and his defense. I won't throw him under the bus until he's had a chance LOL.

6 hours ago, Mack1085 said:

I actually see it from the opposite point of view. Sexton was the much higher prospect coming out of high school, and I think he’s being overlooked because of Young. Even considering the guards that came out last year, I think one could make an argument that Sexton is a better prospect than Fox and Smith Jr. based on his current production and skill set.

Just now, Soul Bro said:

I actually see it from the opposite point of view. Sexton was the higher prospect coming out of high school, and I think he’s being overlooked because of Young. Even considering the guards that came out last year, I think one could make an argument that Sexton is a better prospect than Fox and Smith Jr. based on his current production and skill set.

I would agree with you on this and I think we have to face the reality that Young will be gone by the time we pick. Young is a fabulous shooter and playmaker but Sexton can score well and can probably develop into a good playmaker. I hope when management passed on DSJ that they had Young or Sexton in mind for this draft and we don't draft someone to play behind AG & Isaac instead of a PG. Personally I would have drafted 2-3 PGs with 2-3 of our 4 picks last year and sorted it out on the court.

5 hours ago, Magicman28 said:

Where is all this Trae Young is too small not athletic enough **** coming from? Have some of y'all been living in a cave for the last decade? Chris Paul?!

Geez. We get a front office that loves length and now we're all a sudden infatuated with length that we're willing to ignore a *****ing baller who's doing **** that we haven't seen in a while in college basketball. Oh and he's a PG btw. And he can shoot. Like, realllllly shoot.

sigh. 

[Raises hand]. 

I’ve watched Young a lot and, from the eyeball test, he’s a small dude in height, length and weight. That doesn’t mean he won’t be solid in the pros but it is what it is.

19 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

We were successful with Jameer but each case is different.

I would love to see a lineup of

Young, Hezonja, Isaac, Gordon, Biyombo or Birch 

Get on the phone with Vogel and tell him we need to tank. Young will be gone when we pick unless we do!

6 hours ago, Magicman28 said:

sigh. 

Agree. And he truly have the PG skills necessary to run an offense. Doesnt He lead the league in assits? 

I remeber when Westbrook came to the league and people were saying he is not a true PG because he shoots too much. Well.... get some of that westbrook over here!

I dont want a Rondo like player! I want a Westbrook, Curry, Paul type of player in our team. Young can potentially be that guy.

1 hour ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I hope when management passed on DSJ that they had Young or Sexton in mind for this draft

that's not how teams work. There's too many variables that nobody plans that far ahead with prospects unless we're talking about Lebron. 

Also young wasn't on anyone's mind in June.  He wasn't a top 20 recruit.  

DSJ was a better prospect than sexton in  June and DSJ is a better prospect than sexton today. DSJ was more of a projectable shooter and has more elite athleticism.  

I really like sexton for his attitude and defensive potential but its very likely he's something like pre-injury Reggie Jackson or terry rozier or better jerian grant.