Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

17 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

You take a center because vucevic expires next year and biyombo the year after.  

Plus Vuch is still tradeable even if that means taking a less than worth deal like we did with Payton. If we have the young rookie ready for starter minutes giving him up for second or whatever garbage hurts less.  

I think Jackson could be the best fit for our team with Issac and AG. 

Still have Mack and DJ or maybe we can use some second round picks and a player to move in the later first and Take a flier on a guy like Trevon Duval. 

Duval/Fournier/Issac/AG/Jackson 

Issac-AG-Jackson would be something 

19 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I think Jackson could be the best fit for our team with Issac and AG. 

Still have Mack and DJ or maybe we can use some second round picks and a player to move in the later first and Take a flier on a guy like Trevon Duval. 

Duval/Fournier/Issac/AG/Jackson 

Issac-AG-Jackson would be something 

This board would lose its mind if we drafted another PG who cant shoot. 

1 minute ago, Tank Vogel said:

This board would lose its mind if we drafted another PG who cant shoot. 

Yea Duval wouldn’t start right away. He’s raw. But that’s why we have DJ and Mack for another year anyways. He’s still an intriguing prospect that late. 

11 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

That or a center that can't/doesn't want to play D

Jarren Jackson plays D. Bamba too. 

33 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I want a guy who can fill up the basket. Idk who but he better be an alpha who can dominate the offense. Period!!

I still think AG has a very high ceiling and can be that guy. At 22 years old, he’s a more productive player than Paul George at the same age:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/georgpa01.html

8 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

Yea Duval wouldn’t start right away. He’s raw. But that’s why we have DJ and Mack for another year anyways. He’s still an intriguing prospect that late. 

Part of our problem in the post-Howard years is that we have typically drafted players that can't shoot and need to develop that side of their game. There have been times during this rebuild where floor spacing has been an issue and our players strengthens have typically been scoring in the paint. Ok if we are trying to replicate the grit and grind approach of the Memphis Grizzlies, then I can understand placing an emphasis on drafting and signing players that fit that mold, however the players we have drafted and signed haven't really lived up to their defensive potential, and in turn we have never developed into one of the best defensive units in the league. So we have been stuck with an ineffective offense with shooting problems, and to top it off, we have been stuck with inadequate and inconsistent defense. 

I think what we should be looking at players that can shoot and score, rather than continuing to take players that can't shoot and hope we can teach them and develop that side of their game. Granted Oladipo has started to knock down shots but he's on his third team and in his fifth year, Gordon's shooting has improved but he is in his fourth year and he's not really a sniper, and while Payton has improved slightly he's now onto his second team in four years and he's not really a player you want shooting treys. So I'd like to think that in this year's draft we are going to look at players that can shoot and score because the last thing this team needs is another raw offensive talent picked purely on their defensive and potential upside because to date we haven't really been able to take such a player and make them into something special. 

8 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Wow I didn't realize Vuc expires next year already, that is a nice expiring contract to trade! I'm sure glad we casual fans have YOU to keep track of that stuff for us :D

Eh i just go on a website.  Its not like I'm searching through contracts to see if players have incentives or something like that.  

Heres a basic chart for our contracts https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/ORL.html

Here's a more detailed version of cap stuff around the league 

Heres a new tool to project future stuff http://www.shamsports.com/capulator

17 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I still think AG has a very high ceiling and can be that guy. At 22 years old, he’s a more productive player than Paul George at the same age:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/georgpa01.html

Paul George spent an extra year in college and at 22 years old had just completed his third season. That season he moved full time to small forward and during that season he got picked for his first all star game, was named on the all-NBA third team, was named on the NBA all-defensive second team, and was named the most improved player. 

Compare that to Aaron Gordon's fourth season in the league at 22 years old and despite it being a break out year, he has not been named to the all star game, and is unlikely to be named an all-NBA player or all-defensive player. 

Ok if you put the stats side by side, Gordon averages one point more per game, has a slightly higher field goal percentage, and grabs more rebounds, but George had an edge in three point shooting and was significantly better on the defensive end of the court. Perhaps with further time and development Gordon can still become an all star player and do for us what George did for the Pacers, but realistically Gordon is not more productive than George was during his third season. We are still one of the worst teams in the league and Gordon is simply filling up the stat sheet like Vucevic has done, whereas George was a big factor on a very good Pacers team that was competing for an NBA finals appearance.