Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

7 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Yeah five straight years of bs tanking. It's really nice and has shown what results? Only more of the same. Sad

I'm not sure that we actually tanked, I think we just sucked loudly. We've won too many unimportant games to be tanking.

31 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I'm not sure that we actually tanked, I think we just sucked loudly. We've won too many unimportant games to be tanking.

And we’ll do the same thing this year. Rinse, wash, repeat. 

16 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Clearly our management is going the Toronto and Milwaukee route, not the Philly route. 

See a DeRozan or Giannis in this draft after 6?

They aren't in Toronto or in Milwaukee anymore. This is Orlando. All that experience and they can't think of another way?

13 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

They aren't in Toronto or in Milwaukee anymore. This is Orlando. All that experience and they can't think of another way?

no one did.... but them  ;)

56 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

That’s the thing. They did while others did not. Honestly, I never thought we’d end up with a top pick this year. I expect us to now draft Young or Sexton, which is good to me.

• Upvote 1

It’s funny. With the EP trade, some see a sunset. Others, including me, see a sunrise. The next six months are going to be wild!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

That’s the thing. They did while others did not. Honestly, I never thought we’d end up with a top pick this year. I expect us to now draft Young or Sexton, which is good to me.

I think we either need to have a plan to move up in the draft or scout another PG. I think both will be gone by the time we pick. It was fun for most of us dreaming that we could stay in the top 3 though.

1 hour ago, Magicman28 said:

Does tanking guarantee success?

The Hornets (then Bobcats) were by far the worst team in the league during the shortened season. They lost the lottery and missed out on drafting Anthony Davis, instead they got Michael Kidd Gilchrist. Other teams have fallen a place or two in the lottery and missed out on potential franchise changing talent. 

Alternatively you can tank and get a high pick but the talent available isn't that good. The year we had the second pick we got Oladipo and Anthony Bennett went first overall. Weak class at the time though Oladipo has finally broken out. So sometimes the years a team is bad doesn't correlate with franchise changing talent. If you are lucky you do an OKC  (Current, Westbrook, Harden) or a 76ers (Embiid, Simmons, etc). If you are unlucky the guys you get take you nowhere fast.

In a sense I can understand why some might want to try and be competitive while developing their talent and look for franchise changing talent outside those top few pick. The Pacers have a track record of if since Turner and Granger were both taken outside the top ten, and PG13 was the tenth overall pick. They even drafted Leonard 15th before trading to the Spurs. How many years have they been terrible? Not many. They've remained competitive and rebuilt on the fly. Another team that has found success outside the top few is Denver. They picked Mitchell 11th and sent him to Utah, and they also took Gobert in the late in the first round and sent him to Utah as well. They drafted Murray 7th and Jokic in the second round. Gary Harris was a mid first round pick they traded for on draft night with Chicago. Both teams have managed to rebuild without tanking. 

3 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I think we either need to have a plan to move up in the draft or scout another PG. I think both will be gone by the time we pick. It was fun for most of us dreaming that we could stay in the top 3 though.

I don’t necessarily agree. Young has plenty of questions about his size, while Sexton has questions about his shot. Plus, plenty of teams ahead of us are set at PG.