Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

7 minutes ago, Bauncey Chillups said:

Bamba's got nice physical tools but his offense is really bad, like Thabeet bad.

I dunno.  He's got time.  He's farther along than freshman year thabeet already

If we end up outside the top 6 or 7 and Sexton is off the board, I'd be really happy with Robert Williams. He's got great upside. I know he doesn't really fit with our vision for the future starting lineup, but he's be so great coming off our bench. I think all too often we imagine only the players that would one day start for our team but there's still so much value in being a potential player in an 8 man rotation for a playoff team. I think he could play 4 and small ball 5. Great length and impressive wingspan and elite athleticism.  Dude's a stud

4 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

If we end up outside the top 6 or 7 and Sexton is off the board, I'd be really happy with Robert Williams. He's got great upside. I know he doesn't really fit with our vision for the future starting lineup, but he's be so great coming off our bench. I think all too often we imagine only the players that would one day start for our team but there's still so much value in being a potential player in an 8 man rotation for a playoff team. I think he could play 4 and small ball 5. Great length and impressive wingspan and elite athleticism.  Dude's a stud

We try to imagine starters because we brought a team full of 6th men into the season.

At least Gordon has progressed enough to be a building block.

"Scouting two breakout, first-round PGs in the 2018 NBA draft class" - Mike Schmitz, ESPN

In what was widely considered a down lead guard draft coming into the NCAA season, Alabama's Collin Sexton and Oklahoma's Trae Young have quickly emerged as the clear-cut leaders of the 2018 point guard pack...

Sexton remains the premier point guard prospect in the eyes of NBA scouts given his two-way impact and combination of tools, explosiveness and budding skill. Similarly to Dennis Smith Jr. before him, Sexton figures to be a nightmare cover in the pick-and-roll-heavy NBA with more space and shooters around. His mental approach is unique, and Sexton, who has been a top-10 caliber pick since our first 2018 mock draft, continues to win over executives with his no-nonsense game and toughness...

On the flip side, Young's unprecedented productivity, skill level, basketball IQ and confidence make him an extremely impressive prospect in his own right. In the pass-dribble-shoot era of basketball, Young is a perfect fit. He'll continue to face questions about his so-so size, defense and ability to play in traffic, but the numbers speak for themselves, and the success of a guy like Steph Curry will make scouts think twice about passing on Young because of physical limitations... 

Young and Sexton are vastly different styles of point guard prospects, but together they're great for college basketball, and they've already generated a great deal of optimism surrounding the 2018 draft.

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/21732939/how-good-collin-sexton-trae-young-next-level-2018-nba-draft

Young or Sexton would be ideal given the importance of PG play today.  None of the bigs wow me but maybe I'm just missing something.   

9 hours ago, ML6 said:

Young or Sexton would be ideal given the importance of PG play today.  None of the bigs wow me but maybe I'm just missing something.   

you're not alone about the bigs, I'd have to agree. I'd be happy with Young or Sexton. gotta give those players the green light to be themselves. 

1 hour ago, Magicpassion said:

I definitely think our top priority is going for a point guard. Unless we can pull a trade and picks like when we acquired Penny Hardaway for Chris Webber and picks.

Should have been so in the LAST draft! Instead of trading some of our picks for garbage I would have drafted point guards with them to at least take a look. I would have also traded EP for whatever pick I could have gotten, even a 2nd if that was the best offer. It's been obvious for a long time that we are going nowhere with EP at the point.

42 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Should have been so in the LAST draft! Instead of trading some of our picks for garbage I would have drafted point guards with them to at least take a look. I would have also traded EP for whatever pick I could have gotten, even a 2nd if that was the best offer. It's been obvious for a long time that we are going nowhere with EP at the point.

I don't think you dump Payton after the end to the last season.  That'd be dumb considering all the examples of giving up on former magic players too early.  

But yeah.  There's a couple point guards playing well that we could have taken