Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

MAGIC @ PACERS, Saturday January 27 @ 7:00 P.M.

4 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

While all of this is true before he was denied the extension he wasn't playing anywhere near like he is now. Was he maybe sandbagging to get the heck out of here instead of being stuck for another year? If he was playing like this before the extension deadline he would have been extended in a heartbeat! Heck people (including myself) were doubting he would even be able to stay in the NBA.

I know. Part of me even wonders if he would be playing this well had we chosen to pick up his option

4 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

While all of this is true before he was denied the extension he wasn't playing anywhere near like he is now. Was he maybe sandbagging to get the heck out of here instead of being stuck for another year? If he was playing like this before the extension deadline he would have been extended in a heartbeat! Heck people (including myself) were doubting he would even be able to stay in the NBA.

Year 3 is a big jump year for most players. Its why you never make these decisions on high lotto picks.  You always pick up the option.  

Its the same reason why a ton of nba trade deadline preview podcasts say "a smart team would buy low on Stanley Johnson" even though he's been crap over his career.  There's talent there and sometimes you just need the right situation to unlock it.  

16 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I know. Part of me even wonders if he would be playing this well had we chosen to pick up his option

I don't think the option had anything to do with it.  I think he'd still be unplayable if we didn't have those injuries though.  He needed time on the court to ***** up and still get minutes.  Now he's cut the dumb plays to once every 2-3 games instead of 2-3 per game even in limited minutes

29 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Wait why are we getting hyped about Hezonja again? You guys are making it sound like he had a 20pt game lol 

No hype, just like jj when he was here. He finally gets consistent minutes and he flourishes. His efficiency has grown with the minutes, wow what a shocker. Now we get to see him play somewhere else, thanks to our dumbass management, who didn't make the right decision that a fourth grader should make. 

1 hour ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Wait why are we getting hyped about Hezonja again? You guys are making it sound like he had a 20pt game lol 

He had 9 in the first half and was playing really smooth. He doesn't get any respect from his teammates, especially Augustin who tries the hardest not to give him the ball.

57 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

He had 9 in the first half and was playing really smooth. He doesn't get any respect from his teammates, especially Augustin who tries the hardest not to give him the ball.

he played for almost 30 minutes though. if his minutes were limited I could sympathise but...DJ purposely not feeding him the ball? i'm not ruling it out. just seems a low chance.

5 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

he played for almost 30 minutes though. if his minutes were limited I could sympathise but...DJ purposely not feeding him the ball? i'm not ruling it out. just seems a low chance.

Basically we have no system, and Vogel does a terrible job running players that are hot. There's also been some discussion about Augustin and Hezonja not liking each other so I wouldn't rule it out.

Hezonja played really well in the first half but he had to work for every shot that he took. He was just picking up scraps. Zero plays were run for him

13 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

9 points on 60% shooting with no turnovers and 3 blocks in 26 minutes is pretty solid for a 7th man.  

Especially when he's been at 11 points on 47% shooting over the last 20 games.  Still can't hit a 3 though.  

Now this doesn't mean he's going to be some star.  But he's going to be useful.  And useful 22 y/os have value. 

4 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

Year 3 is a big jump year for most players. Its why you never make these decisions on high lotto picks.  You always pick up the option.  

Its the same reason why a ton of nba trade deadline preview podcasts say "a smart team would buy low on Stanley Johnson" even though he's been crap over his career.  There's talent there and sometimes you just need the right situation to unlock it.  

Every team had the opportunity to "buy low" on Mario through trade at the draft, over the summer, before his extension was due, and nobody wanted him while he was sucking. If we take our homer glasses off and look at how he was playing he was basically not even worth a 2nd at that point, hence the lack of extension. I can't fault management on that decision, I was thinking no team would pick him up and he'd be back on the bench in Europe. The way he is playing now? Of course he would have  been extended.

49 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Every team had the opportunity to "buy low" on Mario through trade at the draft, over the summer, before his extension was due, and nobody wanted him while he was sucking. If we take our homer glasses off and look at how he was playing he was basically not even worth a 2nd at that point, hence the lack of extension. I can't fault management on that decision, I was thinking no team would pick him up and he'd be back on the bench in Europe. The way he is playing now? Of course he would have  been extended.

It was a week into the season and everyone had their roster finalized.  Nobody wants to make a deal at that time.  

Its like making an offer on someone's house right after they move in.  Even if it's a good deal they're less likely to take it