Fultz4thewin

Magic @ Boston

16 hours ago, Magicman28 said:

Slashing is just going to the hole but sometimes you have to maneuver with the ball to open up a lane. Derozan can pull off some moves to open up a lane.

AG needs to work on that to be more of an offensive force.

You're using the wrong term.  Slashing is an off-ball activity, synonymous with a "cut".  If you have the ball you're not slashing, you're driving.  It sounds to me like you're trying to say Gordon needs to get better at his one-on-one offense.  But he is already a very good slasher, i.e., off-ball cutter to the rim. 

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

You're using the wrong term.  Slashing is an off-ball activity, synonymous with a "cut".  If you have the ball you're not slashing, you're driving.  It sounds to me like you're trying to say Gordon needs to get better at his one-on-one offense.  But he is already a very good slasher, i.e., off-ball cutter to the rim. 

No it's correct. Slashing can be used in both. Driving is the better term I agree. Cutting is strictly an off the ball movement.

But yeah, his one on one game with the ball needs work.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

No it's correct. Slashing can be used in both. Driving is the better term I agree. Cutting is strictly an off the ball movement.

Cutting and driving are both slashing but not all drives are slashes.  

He's been horrible at finishing drives lately as he's throwing his body into guys trying to get calls instead of just trying to get the ball in the hoop.  

He gets fouled a ton but isn't getting those calls. Needs to stop trying to be James harden until the refs show they'll give him the benefit of the doubt

11 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Agreed on the one on one stuff. He looks much more comfortable with the ball in his hands now, but it still seems like his decision making is a bit shaky when going one on one and he is still not that comfortable with the ball in traffic.

His biggest issue right now seems to be rushing into shots. He is taking too many bad shots, threes with defenders on him, off balance twos, etc. that he needs to take a step back from. I feel like he has really gone away from what was making him effective earlier in the season.

12 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

Cutting and driving are both slashing but not all drives are slashes.  

He's been horrible at finishing drives lately as he's throwing his body into guys trying to get calls instead of just trying to get the ball in the hoop.  

He gets fouled a ton but isn't getting those calls. Needs to stop trying to be James harden until the refs show they'll give him the benefit of the doubt

Agree. Also, it's like he's trying to do things that just isn't him instead of using his strengths to score. Then his defense. He's let that go.

Yeah, stop trying to force this finesse like Harden offensive game and use your strengths to score and don't forget what got you into the league, defense and intensity.

8 minutes ago, Odin said:

Agreed on the one on one stuff. He looks much more comfortable with the ball in his hands now, but it still seems like his decision making is a bit shaky when going one on one and he is still not that comfortable with the ball in traffic.

His biggest issue right now seems to be rushing into shots. He is taking too many bad shots, threes with defenders on him, off balance twos, etc. that he needs to take a step back from. I feel like he has really gone away from what was making him effective earlier in the season.

He has. It seems like he wants to be great so bad he's forcing things instead of just taking what the defense gives him. That's what makes great players great. The game slows down and the player capitalizes on what the defense gives them.

2 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

He has. It seems like he wants to be great so bad he's forcing things instead of just taking what the defense gives him. That's what makes great players great. The game slows down and the player capitalizes on what the defense gives them.

Nah, the great offensive players are able to bend the game around them to a certain degree. You don't see Lebron or Curry or Durant or Harden just taking what the defense gives them. Those types of players can generally force the defense give them what they want.

Gordon obviously isn't there right now, and perhaps never will be, so he does need to work on capitalizing on defensive breakdowns instead of forcing the issue. Right now he is playing really hard, but he isn't playing smart.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Odin said:

Nah, the great offensive players are able to bend the game around them to a certain degree. You don't see Lebron or Curry or Durant or Harden just taking what the defense gives them. Those types of players can generally force the defense give them what they want.

Gordon obviously isn't there right now, and perhaps never will be, so he does need to work on capitalizing on defensive breakdowns instead of forcing the issue. Right now he is playing really hard, but he isn't playing smart.

****, I see them all the time take what the defense gives them. It's just the defense can't recognize what they're giving them. Take Harden. He knows he can catch fire from the field. He also knows he has handles. Defense knows this too. Harden isn't the most explosive player athletically so how is he able to get to the hole? He strings together a few shots forcing the defense to play up on him. He takes what the defense gives him and starts looking at going to the hole or finding the open man if the defense collapses.

Curry, he knows he has crazy range so he can pull up from anywhere because the defense is going to give him that 26ft pull up. That's why he was so hard to guard. Dude has handles but can pull up from anywhere.

Take MJ. Before he could shoot, defenses started forcing him to be a jump shooter. That Cleveland series (I think it wasn't Cleveland) he was hitting shots after working on it in the off season forcing defenses to adjust in how to defend him.

Sure they at times can bend slightly but part of slowing the game down in ones head is so you can really read what's going on, what's about to happen, and finding that small quick window of opportunity that the defense gives you to exploit. Then they continue to work on aspects of their games so they can develop such an diverse offensive game defenses has to pick what they want to give UP. The greats do this and right now, AG is just forcing. Not observing. Not seeing the Matrix of bball if you will.

He just sees the basket. It's inexperience.

18 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

Oladipo wasn't worth 20 million until he suddenly was

It’s true. But it doesn’t mean that will happen in every case.  My point was that giving a max or near max contract is a bit of a gamble until the player establishes himself. 

6 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

It’s true. But it doesn’t mean that will happen in every case.  My point is that giving a max or near max contract is a bit of a gamble until the player establishes himself. 

Personally, I always knew Dipo had it in him. He could create offense. He just had to get in shape. Get stronger which he did.