Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Magic vs Cavs

51 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

So did Mario in rookie season. Go back and look at when he started at PG. We threw Dipo in there from the jump and let him play through his mistakes. Mario was yanked around so much. Even if he had a good game he was pulled the following game. 

He was far from great in his rookie season. Some players are just busts, no matter what you do. Not sure if Mario is one but it’s a close call. 

2 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

You just really don’t understand player development/projection, asset management, or long term preparation.  On an unrelated note, you also know nothing about point guards. 

That comment, attacking another poster without providing any rationale for what you’re saying, adds nothing of value to this discussion. 

11 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

That comment, attacking another poster without providing any rationale for what you’re saying, adds nothing of value to this discussion. 

He's just somebody showing everyone that he is a butthead, no biggie, they are everywhere. LOL

58 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Dipo...AG at the moment. Question is why them and not Mario.

I don't think WE did much to develop them. Those 2 are great examples of players wanting to be great and doing what it takes to achieve that goal so I don't know how much the Magic staff really had to do with it. Maybe that has something to do with why Mario didn't get the PT. The other 2 are obviously gym rats and work hard to get better but we really don't know about Mario's work ethics?

18 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

He was far from great in his rookie season. Some players are just busts, no matter what you do. Not sure if Mario is one but it’s a close call. 

You're not looking for greatness in an young euro with potential. You're looking for potential and build upon that.

This mindset is the problem with Mario's situation. People's expectations were just too high too quickly.

Kid is going to be a good player and he's going to be good for another team. Our MO.

3 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

You just really don’t understand player development/projection, asset management, or long term preparation.  On an unrelated note, you also know nothing about point guards. 

You can apply the same logic with Jahlil Okafor, why his option wasn’t picked up. Just isn’t that good. 

1 minute ago, Ibn Battuta said:

You can apply the same logic with Jahlil Okafor, why his option wasn’t picked up. Just isn’t that good. 

And like Mario probably, nobody wanted to trade anything remotely decent for him.

15 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I don't think WE did much to develop them. Those 2 are great examples of players wanting to be great and doing what it takes to achieve that goal so I don't know how much the Magic staff really had to do with it. Maybe that has something to do with why Mario didn't get the PT. The other 2 are obviously gym rats and work hard to get better but we really don't know about Mario's work ethics?

You really think that's it? Mario just didn't want to be great? The first off season he went back to Europe and played. Didn't get any off season to work on his game. He also didn't have a coach who told him what his philosophy is going to be offensively, defensively and what to work on.

Work ethic has never been questioned. He won an award for being a gym rat and take it from someone who's that as well, we apply that ethic to everything else in our lives.

I think his main problem other than being green and being yanked all the time is that he's hard on himself. His head gets in the way sometimes. 

Unfortunately unless nobody comes in for Mario he's as good as gone... This one may come back to bite us.. It may not.. Gonna be interesting regardless. 

Just remembered when we got him and Skiles and Henny and Co were all high 5s and smiles etc etc... Seems like a lifetime ago.

15 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

You're not looking for greatness in an young euro with potential. You're looking for potential and build upon that.

This mindset is the problem with Mario's situation. People's expectations were just too high too quickly.

Kid is going to be a good player and he's going to be good for another team. Our MO.

Fair point, but two different coaches with lots of NBA experience (Skiles/Vogel) independently decided he didn’t deserve playing time, and they see a lot more of the players than we do. Doesn’t mean they’re infallible but not a strong recommendation either. I bet people were having this very same discussion about Darko. We will see if Mario has a place in the NBA. Personally I think the odds are less than 50/50. 

As an aside, plenty of other players from his draft year are having meaningful impacts for their teams. 

Plain and simple fact of the matter is that Mario has not been given the chance to develop.. Play properly through his mistakes etc etc. 

I think we may have *****ed this up again personally 

8 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Fair point, but two different coaches with lots of NBA experience (Skiles/Vogel) independently decided he didn’t deserve playing time, and they see a lot more of the players than we do. Doesn’t mean they’re infallible but not a strong recommendation either. I bet people were having this very same discussion about Darko. We will see if Mario has a place in the NBA. Personally I think the odds are less than 50/50. 

As an aside, plenty of other players from his draft year are having meaningful impacts for their teams. 

Skiles gave him time. Skiles wanted him to guard Kobe and all of that. Started him a PG, etc. Vogel on the other hand...

Dipo has played way more than Mario and on his 4th coach and? You just can't judge a player by that.

NBA is hard. It takes a while for some. It took Peja a few years. Hell look how long it took JJ and he was the **** in college right here in good ol USA. He couldn't even get on the court for a few.

Life isn't always black and white.