Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Magic vs Cavs

1 hour ago, Payton4thewin said:

Because we shopped him a week into the season when everyone is overly optimistic about the roster they've built.  Bad timing

I'd be willing to bet they made some calls before the draft and again before opting not to pick up his option too. I just don't think anybody wanted Mario before his last few games. We'll all get to see firsthand what the offseason brings for him :D

7 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

It's not an extension.  Its a one year team option for not a lot of money during an offseason where the team couldn't use the cap space.  It was poor strategy because its poor asset management.  

That's true at the moment, but the cap space thing could change if the team makes moves to clear space. 

6 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Then why don't ANY other teams want to trade anything for him? Are they ALL stupid???

Why should they now?

If I'm a GM, I'd wait to see if they pick up his option. Then I wait to see how he plays. Now that I know they didn't pick up his option, I just wait until he hits free agency and sign him. I don't have to give up anything.

We made a poor decision.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Mario had had 3 years to prove he is even worthy of being in the NBA and had most people thinking no, he is a bust. He has a few good games and some of you are scratching your heads about why we didn't extend him and planning the future of the Magic with him as a starter. I would bet good money that before turning down the extension management did their best to trade him and couldn't get any takers. Mario is a halfway decent bench guy at best and out of the NBA a strong possibility. If we can resign him REALLY CHEAP, sure, why not? I don't think teams are going to be beating his door down to offer him $8M a year though.

You just really don’t understand player development/projection, asset management, or long term preparation.  On an unrelated note, you also know nothing about point guards. 

15 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Then why don't ANY other teams want to trade anything for him? Are they ALL stupid???

Real life management doesn’t work like video games.

23 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

No.  No we cant.  If we had 100 million in cap space we could only offer him 5.3 million because we declined his option for 5.3 million. 

And every other team has a 8 million and change mle to work with

I did not know that. What if we trade him first and go after him in the offseason?

1 hour ago, Murphy13 said:

You just really don’t understand player development/projection, asset management, or long term preparation.  On an unrelated note, you also know nothing about point guards. 

Considering that I played ball and coached for a combine 40 years, throwing in that you know absolutely nothing about me or my basketball knowledge, I would have to say that was a pretty stupid thing for you to say! 

As far as "player development/projection, asset management, or long term preparation" the Magic have pretty much proven that they suck at all of those. AG mostly developed himself with his hard work ethic and desire to be great, we didn't create him. So who HAVE we developed? The reason players that we traded became much better is because other teams are much better at "player development" than we are.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Considering that I played ball and coached for a combine 40 years, throwing in that you know absolutely nothing about me or my basketball knowledge, I would have to say that was a pretty stupid thing for you to say! 

As far as "player development/projection, asset management, or long term preparation" the Magic have pretty much proven that they suck at all of those. AG mostly developed himself with his hard work ethic and desire to be great, we didn't create him. So who HAVE we developed? The reason players that we traded became much better is because other teams are much better at "player development" than we are.

Dipo developed himself as well. We just weren't patient. We've been even less patient with Mario and you're now saying we should just give up on AG and trade him as well.

You posts are contradicting themselves.

Just now, Magicman28 said:

Dipo developed himself as well. We just weren't patient.

He sure showed a lot of potential. I think management traded him because he didn't do well with EP when in reality they should have gotten rid of EP and got a PG that played well with Vic.

1 minute ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

He sure showed a lot of potential. I think management traded him because he didn't do well with EP when in reality they should have gotten rid of EP and got a PG that played well with Vic.

So did Mario in rookie season. Go back and look at when he started at PG. We threw Dipo in there from the jump and let him play through his mistakes. Mario was yanked around so much. Even if he had a good game he was pulled the following game. 

2 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

So did Mario in rookie season. Go back and look at when he started at PG. We threw Dipo in there from the jump and let him play through his mistakes. Mario was yanked around so much. Even if he had a good game he was pulled the following game. 

That is true. Perfect example of how bad we have sucked at developing players. Other than Dwight, have we really "developed" anybody?

5 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

That is true. Perfect example of how bad we have sucked at developing players. Other than Dwight, have we really "developed" anybody?

Dipo...AG at the moment. Question is why them and not Mario.

Its simple. You can recalibrate, practice, hit weights, all day long everyday but if you don't get the reps in real game, where it all is suppose to come together, then improvement is going to come slowly for most.