Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Magic vs Cavs

23 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I’d be surprised if any team thought Mario was worth more than 5 million per year.  I guess we will find out soon enough. 

A 2 year 8 million contract would still beat our 1 year 5.3 million contract.  

And i think you need to be prepared to be surprised.  Since rejoining the rotation over 13 games he's averaged 11.8 ppg on 47/33/87 shooting in 26 mpg. 

The most analogous situation to this was Solomon hill a couple years ago. He got 4/48 in the stupid spending year after only 14 games of promise.  While the market definitely wouldn't support that, 2/12 isn't so absurd

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

A 2 year 8 million contract would still beat our 1 year 5.3 million contract.  

And i think you need to be prepared to be surprised.  Since rejoining the rotation over 13 games he's averaged 11.8 ppg on 47/33/87 shooting in 26 mpg. 

The most analogous situation to this was Solomon hill a couple years ago. He got 4/48 in the stupid spending year after only 14 games of promise.  While the market definitely wouldn't support that, 2/12 isn't so absurd

He is almost definitely going somewhere else- even if offered the exact same contract that we can offer, why would he stay when our management showed that they previously did not want him and didn't even have enough faith to pick up his option?

I am just hoping I am wrong on that because he has shown himself to be a good piece this year.

43 minutes ago, Odin said:

He is almost definitely going somewhere else- even if offered the exact same contract that we can offer, why would he stay when our management showed that they previously did not want him and didn't even have enough faith to pick up his option?

I am just hoping I am wrong on that because he has shown himself to be a good piece this year.

He was out of the rotation for a while and is only playing this much due to injuries. He'd be foolish to sign a one year "prove it" deal here. 

When the team is healthy Mario can't find minutes, and idk which team would give him minutes unless it's a team that's tanking

Mario had had 3 years to prove he is even worthy of being in the NBA and had most people thinking no, he is a bust. He has a few good games and some of you are scratching your heads about why we didn't extend him and planning the future of the Magic with him as a starter. I would bet good money that before turning down the extension management did their best to trade him and couldn't get any takers. Mario is a halfway decent bench guy at best and out of the NBA a strong possibility. If we can resign him REALLY CHEAP, sure, why not? I don't think teams are going to be beating his door down to offer him $8M a year though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Mario had had 3 years to prove he is even worthy of being in the NBA and had most people thinking no, he is a bust. He has a few good games and some of you are scratching your heads about why we didn't extend him and planning the future of the Magic with him as a starter. I would bet good money that before turning down the extension management did their best to trade him and couldn't get any takers. Mario is a halfway decent bench guy at best and out of the NBA a strong possibility. If we can resign him REALLY CHEAP, sure, why not? I don't think teams are going to be beating his door down to offer him $8M a year though.

It's not an extension.  Its a one year team option for not a lot of money during an offseason where the team couldn't use the cap space.  It was poor strategy because its poor asset management.  

44 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

3 years is a drop in the bucket.

If he shows signs, which he has, that he could be more, we could be looking at a decision that was worse than what we did with Dipo.

1 hour ago, Magicman28 said:

3 years is a drop in the bucket.

If he shows signs, which he has, that he could be more, we could be looking at a decision that was worse than what we did with Dipo.

Then why don't ANY other teams want to trade anything for him? Are they ALL stupid???

2 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

It's not an extension.  Its a one year team option for not a lot of money during an offseason where the team couldn't use the cap space.  It was poor strategy because its poor asset management.  

Same difference to me, and the same question I just posted, why didn't any other team want him?

2 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

This. 

It was a head scratcher move to not pickup his option. You hardly ever see a team not do that. If there was even just a 2% chance of Mario even becoming a solid 8th man I have no clue why we would have kept him around. 

Poor asset management is spot on. 

Not picking up Mario’s option and saying the draft “flattened” out are both head scratching moves/statements to me. 

Hopefully those are outlier mistakes and not a sign of how this FO evaluates talent/assets. 

2 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Same difference to me, and the same question I just posted, why didn't any other team want him?

Because we shopped him a week into the season when everyone is overly optimistic about the roster they've built.  Bad timing

1 minute ago, HeHateMe said:

This. 

It was a head scratcher move to not pickup his option. You hardly ever see a team not do that. If there was even just a 2% chance of Mario even becoming a solid 8th man I have no clue why we would have kept him around. 

Poor asset management is spot on. 

Not picking up Mario’s option and saying the draft “flattened” out are both head scratching moves/statements to me. 

Hopefully those are outlier mistakes and not a sign of how this FO evaluates talent/assets. 

I agree.  In this business you leverage everything even if you aren't optimistic at the players future value.  Not doing that is disappointing