Sign in to follow this  
Orlando Magic Toaster

Game Thread: Heat @ Magic

4 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

You have to guard a 37% shooter from three who's making a career high number of shots from there.  You are living in fantasy land.  Our team sucks because it lacks enough talent to win regularly, not because Payton isn't the elite scorer you think he should be.  

He passes up open 3's all the time.

8 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

You have to guard a 37% shooter from three who's making a career high number of shots from there.  You are living in fantasy land.  Our team sucks because it lacks enough talent to win regularly, not because Payton isn't the elite scorer you think he should be.  

I don't think Payton needs to be an elite scorer, he just needs to take the shot instead of passing up open looks. IMO EP is a great bench PG, we need a starter.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

This is a bit misleading. Currently Payton ranks #122 in 3-point attempts for a starting guard. He takes a whopping 1.6 per game and makes a grand total of .6 per game. So whether he is shooting 37% is irrelevant because he simply doesn't shoot threes anyways. You can't guard what is not there. Furthermore I'm more worried about Payton's lack of defense than his lack of three pointers. 

1 hour ago, jjgator said:

Payton just isn't a starting PG. We need one. 

It'd be nice if we could rely on him to get buckets in crunch time. Instead they other team knows its either going to Fournier or Gordon. 

On 12/31/2017 at 4:19 PM, Gordon MVP said:

It'd be nice if we could rely on him to get buckets in crunch time. Instead they other team knows its either going to Fournier or Gordon. 

I don't know what games you (and others) have been watching, but his driving to the basket has been our best chance at buckets in crunch time for a while now.  

On 12/31/2017 at 1:25 PM, TheNameIsOrlando said:

This is a bit misleading. Currently Payton ranks #122 in 3-point attempts for a starting guard. He takes a whopping 1.6 per game and makes a grand total of .6 per game. So whether he is shooting 37% is irrelevant because he simply doesn't shoot threes anyways. You can't guard what is not there. Furthermore I'm more worried about Payton's lack of defense than his lack of three pointers. 

There are only 60 starting guards to begin with, you say i'm misleading but then follow with even more misleading info.  I'm not worried about his threes as long he keeps improving his own baseline.  You can't ask for any more.  Pros continue to improve, that's what he's done to his entire game thus far in his career.  Even if he was scoring 6 more points per game in the form of 3 pointers and he was defending at last years' level we would still be looking at the lottery.  Point guards don't carry championship teams throughout the season, they are the glue.  

13 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

There are only 60 starting guards to begin with, you say i'm misleading but then follow with even more misleading info.  I'm not worried about his threes as long he keeps improving his own baseline.  You can't ask for any more.  Pros continue to improve, that's what he's done to his entire game thus far in his career.  Even if he was scoring 6 more points per game in the form of 3 pointers and he was defending at last years' level we would still be looking at the lottery.  Point guards don't carry championship teams throughout the season, they are the glue.  

Fair enough. When I added the "starter" filter NBA.com adds any player who has started at a guard position this year. I did not catch that until now. Either way Payton still ranks in the bottom tier of the league in 3PA. I do agree that Payton scoring 6 more points by 3 pointers doesn't do much for the team in terms of wins this year. With that said His lack of attempts is a problem whether he is "improving" his ability to make them or not. If he isn't taking them his improvement isn't tangible as there isn't enough to take from it. 

I don't think payton's shooting, good or bad, means much.  

I think payton's inconsistent play on offense and below average defense is troubling

• Like 1