Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

Magic @ Wizards Game Thread

Say

7 hours ago, Ted Stickle said:

Otis Smith built the mess, Hennigan failed to clean it up properly.

Say what you want about Otis.  Otis and svg, had us winning every year. 

30 minutes ago, LaVar said:

Say

Say what you want about Otis.  Otis and svg, had us winning every year. 

SVG and a prime Dwight

1 hour ago, Ted Stickle said:

SVG and a prime Dwight

Yeah but Otis also found really good role players. People like JJ, Courteney Lee, Peitrus, Skip to my Lou -- all instrumental to our finals run. He built a team pretty well.

Right now our team is just a collection of bodies with random talent and no fit at all. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2017 at 7:54 PM, LaVar said:

It started with some really bad trades: T. Harris trade and the trade Victor trade. We lost a lot of young talent for nothing. We also traded away our 2nd 1st round pick in a deep draft this year. So bad GM moves, plus poor player development has caused the issue we are in now.  Plus, we need had the ping pong ball fall in our way and get the top pick.

Mario has been playing better with time, but he is a key factor in our failure. He needed to produce and play better for a 5th pick. Sometimes, it his hard to believe he is a 3rd year player.

As for this year, I will say that, with out our injures, we would look a lot better. It started with our pgs going out and then Johnathan Isaac.  Now, 4 out of 5 starters are out. Not many teams will win with only there second and third units. 

It started with a conscious decision to become terrible in order to hopefully land a star with a high draft pick.  It's not surprising that young players didn't develop all that well when they had no established talent to help them get started, and to draw some of the attention, and to provide competition and mentoring.  When we didn't hit the jackpot in the draft, we wound up with this predictable result.

Just because some of our players thrive elsewhere surrounded by a completely different roster, there is no guarantee that they would have had similar results had they stayed here, surrounded by the same lousy group.  In fact I think it's very likely they would not have the same success.

5 hours ago, JJZFL said:

It started with a conscious decision to become terrible in order to hopefully land a star with a high draft pick.  It's not surprising that young players didn't develop all that well when they had no established talent to help them get started, and to draw some of the attention, and to provide competition and mentoring.  When we didn't hit the jackpot in the draft, we wound up with this predictable result.

Just because some of our players thrive elsewhere surrounded by a completely different roster, there is no guarantee that they would have had similar results had they stayed here, surrounded by the same lousy group.  In fact I think it's very likely they would not have the same success.

I disagree.  We obtained significant talent and then decided to leverage that talent poorly.  It has more to do with giving away decent players while supplementing that with poor free agent choices than losing

15 hours ago, JJZFL said:

There's no guarantees no matter which way you go. Dwight wanted out which called for a rebuild. Franchise players usually don't sign with a rebuilding team and it's very hard to acquire a franchise player via trade with nothing to give in return.

Take a look at Philly. They're improved and solid FA's are taking notice.

Where we went wrong is one, letting go Stan. Then it was bringing on Skiles. Then trading Dipo who btw should be no surprise he's playing the way he is. The evidence was there we just chose poorly because we didn't want to wait another year or two and wanted to bring in an "established" talent which backfired. 

2 hours ago, Magicman28 said:

There's no guarantees no matter which way you go. Dwight wanted out which called for a rebuild. Franchise players usually don't sign with a rebuilding team and it's very hard to acquire a franchise player via trade with nothing to give in return.

Take a look at Philly. They're improved and solid FA's are taking notice.

Where we went wrong is one, letting go Stan. Then it was bringing on Skiles. Then trading Dipo who btw should be no surprise he's playing the way he is. The evidence was there we just chose poorly because we wanted to my wait another year or two and wanted to bring in an "established" talent which backfired. 

We had a 35 win team and removed two starters with no comparable replacements to fill that gap.  

13 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

I disagree.  We obtained significant talent and then decided to leverage that talent poorly.  It has more to do with giving away decent players while supplementing that with poor free agent choices than losing

It’s a reasonable difference of opinion. From my standpoint, even with the “significant talent” we may have obtained, we were never good and never looked like we were coming together or establishing an identity. I reiterate that I doubt the players we traded (or gave) away would have developed the same way had they remained here. P4TW, you yourself have remarked before about how even veteran players seem to play below their career averages when they join us.  The team that the players are surrounded by makes a very big difference.

2 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

It’s a reasonable difference of opinion. From my standpoint, even with the “significant talent” we may have obtained, we were never good and never looked like we were coming together or establishing an identity. I reiterate that I doubt the players we traded (or gave) away would have developed the same way had they remained here. P4TW, you yourself have remarked before about how even veteran players seem to play below their career averages when they join us.  The team that the players are surrounded by makes a very big difference.

Trying to build our team around a Center that is a soft defender and a Point Guard that can't shoot off the dribble or run a pick and roll was a losing proposition. No matter how we sliced it, it wasn't going to work