Sign in to follow this  
Orlando Magic Toaster

Magic @ Pistons (Early game 4pm)

2 minutes ago, Odin said:

And why would anyone just trade for him? Again, he has absolutely no value- in fact, the better he plays, the less value he has.

How come? Sorry I've not been following Mario as closely as most on here. 

2 minutes ago, Orlando Magic Toaster said:

How come? Sorry I've not been following Mario as closely as most on here. 

Because anyone who trades for him is limited in offering him  1 year 5.3 million.  So in theory any team that believes in Mario would be better off just waiting until the offseason and just outbid the team that owns him.  The only exception is a team looking to make a playoff run who just needs a shooter off the bench and doesn't mind losing him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Payton4thewin said:

You could just admit you were wrong 

I've watched Mario play since day 1 with the Magic. I think I've been impressed by him 3 times, 1 of which was a pass in a summer league game. 1 great game doesn't change what I have been seeing. There is nothing that would have made me happier than for that draft pick not to be a bust but management must agree with me that he is not worth keeping or they would have extended him.

Soul Bro checking in. I missed the game last night but am glad Mario went off. Given what I’ve watched the last couple of years, I’ve been a huge critic of his overall game, given his lapses on defense, inability to dribble, poor basketball iq, etc. I hope he ends up successful, be it with the Magic or elsewhere, just because it’s great when people beat the odds. Now as it relates to our team, we are a hot mess, and I find it hard to tune in at the moment. I hope trades are in the works.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

Soul Bro checking in. I missed the game last night but am glad Mario went off. Given what I’ve watched the last couple of years, I’ve been a huge critic of his overall game, given his lapses on defense, inability to dribble, poor basketball iq, etc. I hope he ends up successful, be it with the Magic or elsewhere, just because it’s great when people beat the odds. Now as it relates to our team, we are a hot mess, and I find it hard to tune in at the moment. I hope trades are in the works.

Yea, Gordon isn't playing and neither is Isaac so I've found it hard to care this last week or so. I love this team but I'm not gonna watch Mack Speights Vuch and Simmons play 30 mins a game. Happy for Mario. We failed him he didn't fail us. 

The overreaction to one good game in 2.5 years is staggering.  Let him show some degree of consistency before we assume he has turned a corner.

This reminds me of how r/nba (not just Magic fans) started saying stuff after our 6-2 start like "Oh I knew the Magic always had talent!  I saw this coming!  Just needed some coaching consistency!".  Then a week later everyone was ****ting on us again, rightfully so. 

57 minutes ago, ML6 said:

The overreaction to one good game in 2.5 years is staggering.  Let him show some degree of consistency before we assume he has turned a corner.

This reminds me of how r/nba (not just Magic fans) started saying stuff after our 6-2 start like "Oh I knew the Magic always had talent!  I saw this coming!  Just needed some coaching consistency!".  Then a week later everyone was ****ting on us again, rightfully so. 

He had some good games in his rookie year. He had a good game two games ago. Frank decided to NOT give him PT the next game. Game him PT this one, and he responded with 28.

I don't think anyone is overreacting. We have been giving good players away for a long time now. There's also a trend where we give players PT, they play well, to follow it up with no PT. You talk about consistency? It starts there. We have been doing that yo yo crap for a decade and have done it even more with Mario than any other player. So no, it's not overreaction. It's a legitimate concern to our developing methods and our long term vision.

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

Eh it's 2 good games this week.  It's not like he's suddenly going to oladipo us but its a good sign he's going to be a useful nba player.  Like harkless

1 minute ago, Magicman28 said:

He had some good games in his rookie year. He had a good game two games ago. Frank decided to NOT give him PT the next game. Game him PT this one, and he responded with 28.

I don't think anyone is overreacting. We have been giving good players away for a long time now. There's also a trend where we give players PT, they play well, to follow it up with no PT. You talk about consistency? It starts there. We have been doing that yo yo crap for a decade and have done it even more with Mario than any other player. So no, it's not overreaction. It's a legitimate concern to our developing methods and our long term vision.

21 mins vs. Portland is not small grapes --  4pts, 2 rebs, 0 asts.    I am not discrediting the DET game, he was good.  LAC game I'd say he still looked pretty bad a lot of the time but his bar is so low that everyone exploded because he did SOMETHING.

And yes, people are overreacting.  When someone establishes a baseline of incompetence, you can be surprised, impressed, and hopeful when they do something good -- that's fine and that's where we should be.  There are some posts in this very thread acting like now Mario now should be some integral part of this team, we should try to re-sign him, develop him, people should eat crow, we've clearly mismanaged him, etc -- that's where it's too much.

I am glad he had a good game.  He's in a Magic uniform so I'm rooting for him.  But he needs to establish a string of competent games to change the body of evidence he has submitted.   

To give an analogy from the healthcare field: Mario has thus far published a 2.5 year randomized, double-blinded study establishing poor play.  This is a decent baseline of evidence that he's bad, but more evidence is needed before fully writing him off.  Mario's DET game is a great case report.  It piques our interest, but we can't draw any solid conclusions from it given the sample size (one player, one game), and we know his prior study has a much stronger design and much more evidence says the opposite.  Mario needs to submit a randomized, controlled, double-blind, multinational study (many good games), before people start crowning him and casting off the initial study as a scientific anomaly.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

Eh it's 2 good games this week.  It's not like he's suddenly going to oladipo us but its a good sign he's going to be a useful nba player.  Like harkless

This is much different than telling people to eat crow and that they should admit they are wrong, in fairness.  Especially because you are always a rational, sample size type guy and it doesn't seem like you're applying that same tediousness here. 

13 minutes ago, ML6 said:

This is much different than telling people to eat crow and that they should admit they are wrong, in fairness.  Especially because you are always a rational, sample size type guy and it doesn't seem like you're applying that same tediousness here. 

When posters took joy in suggesting Mario doesn't belong in the nba and should just go back to Europe it bothered me.  

There's a sizable portion of the American sports fan that's xenophobic

Edited by Payton4thewin