Sign in to follow this  
Orlando Magic Toaster

Magic @ Pistons (Early game 4pm)

7 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

Yes.  

I'm pretty sure we could offer him less than 5.3 million but that's the max and one year is the highest amount of years.  I think this rule is to remove leverage from a rookie trying to hold out for what is effectively a contract renegotiation. 

So I'm pretty sure we didnt pick up the option as a way to avoid being put in a scenario where we have to go over the luxury tax to resign Gordon and Payton (in a universe where he had a breakout season). We could be in a hypothetical scenario where we had to include a first round pick to dump hezonja's salary.  

But, like i said at the time, that's a short sighted move.  If you add up all of the potential scenarios its a smarter gamble to pick up the option. There's a scenario where he turns out good.  There's a scenario where he turns out useful.  There's a scenario where he continues along the same path he was on and you convince a team to take a chance on him for a top 55 protected pick like harkless.  There's a scenario where you're forced to give up a pick to dump him.  But the collective odds and outcomes for the positive/neutral scenarios so significantly outweigh the negative scenario that it should have been a no brainer.  

Now we're sitting in a scenario where Payton has played himself out of a new contract and our salary structure prevents us from going after a big free agent and 1 year 5.3 million doesn't really mean anything on our books.  Dumb move.  

I still think he doesn't really fit our future.  But its bad asset management

Thanks for that.

So effectively there is no point playing him?

We either end up showcasing him for other teams and get nothing in return. Or he just proves he's not up to it and he finished up at the end of the year.

Either way, he's not here next year.

I suppose there is a slim chance he does enough for us to justify signing him for 5.3m but not enough to get other teams interested, or he really explodes and helps us get to the playoffs but they're a very narrow window of opportunity.

5 minutes ago, SlightlyOdway said:

Thanks for that.

So effectively there is no point playing him?

We either end up showcasing him for other teams and get nothing in return. Or he just proves he's not up to it and he finished up at the end of the year.

Either way, he's not here next year.

I suppose there is a slim chance he does enough for us to justify signing him for 5.3m but not enough to get other teams interested, or he really explodes and helps us get to the playoffs but they're a very narrow window of opportunity.

Effectively theres no point in playing him if you're looking at it from a "skew playing time for guys who should be here long term" perspective but you should generally play the best players.  

And yeah. There's a scenario where other teams prioritize other free agents and he doesn't get a great offer so he comes back here.  That doesn't seem likely.  

18 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

Yes.  

I'm pretty sure we could offer him less than 5.3 million but that's the max and one year is the highest amount of years.  I think this rule is to remove leverage from a rookie trying to hold out for what is effectively a contract renegotiation. 

So I'm pretty sure we didnt pick up the option as a way to avoid being put in a scenario where we have to go over the luxury tax to resign Gordon and Payton (in a universe where he had a breakout season). We could be in a hypothetical scenario where we had to include a first round pick to dump hezonja's salary.  

But, like i said at the time, that's a short sighted move.  If you add up all of the potential scenarios its a smarter gamble to pick up the option. There's a scenario where he turns out good.  There's a scenario where he turns out useful.  There's a scenario where he continues along the same path he was on and you convince a team to take a chance on him for a top 55 protected pick like harkless.  There's a scenario where you're forced to give up a pick to dump him.  But the collective odds and outcomes for the positive/neutral scenarios so significantly outweigh the negative scenario that it should have been a no brainer.  

Now we're sitting in a scenario where Payton has played himself out of a new contract and our salary structure prevents us from going after a big free agent and 1 year 5.3 million doesn't really mean anything on our books.  Dumb move.  

I still think he doesn't really fit our future.  But its bad asset management

Fit salary wise or playing wise?

6 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

I still don't understand the Fournier hate.  Reorganize the fga distribution and we're fine.  

It was rarely ever about Fournier taking a shot.  It was Fournier running a two man game with vucevic.  

Agreed. If we can I'd love to keep him. Vuch is my number one trade option and Payton is my number two.

Also i am thinking Frank is not the right coach for our franchise.....

``Mario’s got some ability,’’ Vogel raved. ``Like a lot of young guys on our team, he’s going to have his (positive) spurts and he’s going to make a lot of mistakes. But that’s part of where we’re at – we’re a young team and we’re developing a lot of young guys. I was happy to see (Hezonja) have a break-through game.’’

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

Those posters who took joy in suggesting Mario was destined for Europe have a lot of crow to eat

Meh, wake me up when he plays well consistently.  His track record suggests this is a MAJOR outlier.  I do think there is probably something to the "they can't pull me because we have no one else available so I'll just play freely" theory, but honestly how often will that apply throughout his career? 

Probably you will see the moon grow arms and legs and dance a happy jig in the night sky before you ever see Hezonja put together this kind of performance in anything like a legitimately competitive NBA game, let alone a Magic win. Still, it’s nice to be reminded that there’s some honest-to-God basketball talent behind all of Hezonja’s shrugging indifference. A couple steals, an extra pass or two, a push in transition, and a bulging crapload of above-the-break threes. Once upon a time, people were really excited about this guy.

This is almost certainly Hezonja’s final season in the NBA. The Magic—as talent poor an NBA outfit as there is—declined the final option year on Hezonja’s rookie contract, making him an unrestricted free agent after this season. Maybe some teams will be willing to sniff around his potential, but salary cap space will be tight once again, and Hezonja will be able to make more money, and over a longer contract, back in Europe, where he has an actual track record of success.

Thanks for the memories, Mario!

https://deadspin.com/god-remember-mario-hezonja-1821372503