Sign in to follow this  
Orlando Magic Toaster

Magic @ Pistons (Early game 4pm)

25 minutes ago, SlightlyOdway said:

Just for interests sake. If over the remainder of the season Mario proves that he is an actual NBA player, what are the implications of having not picked up his option?

Is it simply that we would be competing on the open market for him?

In other words, Magic gonna do what Magic does best. Get players ready for the next level for other teams.

Hate this organization.

21 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

Basically its extremely unlikely he would resign with us and extremely unlikely someone would trade for him at the deadline with the exception if the team just needs a guy to fill in the rest of the year and doesn't mind losing him.  

What is the chance/ ability to resign him? We should have picked up his option...

5 minutes ago, Odin said:

What is the chance/ ability to resign him? We should have picked up his option...

We can offer him 1 year 5.3 million.  So if nobody offers him more money or a better opportunity we can resign him.  

We need to start playing him more even when we get healthy to figure out what we have. We already lose most of our games,  how can playing him more hurt? 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

wish we had picked up Hezonjas option. smh

It's just one game. We didn't play him enough in the time we've had him to know if we should've picked up his option. 

1 hour ago, Payton4thewin said:

We can offer him 1 year 5.3 million.  So if nobody offers him more money or a better opportunity we can resign him.  

I guess this is what I was asking. Are we limited to the 1 year 5.3m offer?

So say he explodes over the remainder of the year we are still limited to this figure? Every other team can offer whatever they like from a $ and/or years perspective but we can't?

I know this scenario isn't likely but just trying to get my head around the decision not to pick up his option.

50 minutes ago, SlightlyOdway said:

So say he explodes over the remainder of the year we are still limited to this figure? Every other team can offer whatever they like from a $ and/or years perspective but we can't?

I know this scenario isn't likely but just trying to get my head around the decision not to pick up his option.

Great question

50 minutes ago, SlightlyOdway said:

Yes.  

I'm pretty sure we could offer him less than 5.3 million but that's the max and one year is the highest amount of years.  I think this rule is to remove leverage from a rookie trying to hold out for what is effectively a contract renegotiation. 

So I'm pretty sure we didnt pick up the option as a way to avoid being put in a scenario where we have to go over the luxury tax to resign Gordon and Payton (in a universe where he had a breakout season). We could be in a hypothetical scenario where we had to include a first round pick to dump hezonja's salary.  

But, like i said at the time, that's a short sighted move.  If you add up all of the potential scenarios its a smarter gamble to pick up the option. There's a scenario where he turns out good.  There's a scenario where he turns out useful.  There's a scenario where he continues along the same path he was on and you convince a team to take a chance on him for a top 55 protected pick like harkless.  There's a scenario where you're forced to give up a pick to dump him.  But the collective odds and outcomes for the positive/neutral scenarios so significantly outweigh the negative scenario that it should have been a no brainer.  

Now we're sitting in a scenario where Payton has played himself out of a new contract and our salary structure prevents us from going after a big free agent and 1 year 5.3 million doesn't really mean anything on our books.  Dumb move.  

I still think he doesn't really fit our future.  But its bad asset management