Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

2 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

Last week I wrote about how Luka Doncic is probably the best international prospect in draft history, with a skill package and basketball intellect as high as any 18-year-old we’ve seen in a long time. But I also noted that when you dig into the film, you find real questions surrounding certain aspects of his physical ability and athletic ceiling: his ability to separate from defenders and elevate to finish around the basket may limit his ability to become an NBA superstar.

Deandre Ayton, another player discussed as a potential #1 overall selection, is a great counterpoint to Doncic. While Doncic excels because of basketball intellect despite some athletic limitations, Ayton dominates with his body — but does not yet have the basketball mind to match.

Ayton checks basically every box from a physical standpoint: already, at the age of 19, he has the size and strength of an NBA center, with nimble feet, lateral quickness for his size, and easy lift off the floor. That combination, along with touch nice touch both around the rim and on midrange jumpers, gives him a ceiling as high as anyone. It’s not hard to imagine him as a dominant, two-way presence.

And yet there’s something missing. Ayton seems to lack an instinct for the game, that vague yet still tangible quality that scouts describe as “feel”.

https://cleaningtheglass.com/midseason-draft-review-deandre-ayton/

2 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

In other words do u pick an intelligent, basketball wise player with limited physical skills or the exact opposite type player?  Right now I will take the smart player. Brains wins over brawn. 

53 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

I read this and instantly thought, no franchise player.

Same ****ty luck different draft. 

With these thoughts in mind I am REALLY liking Trae Young. His basketball IQ is through the roof and I think he is the floor general we need.

18 minutes ago, WarDamnMagic said:

I really like this draft

Yeah I mean the top 4 or so have players that could be all stars.

Just don't see "that" guy. The ones who turn you into a 50 win team and keep you there.

12 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Yeah I mean the top 4 or so have players that could be all stars.

Just don't see "that" guy. The ones who turn you into a 50 win team and keep you there.

To be fair, there’s roughly 1 or 2 drafts every decade that have that type of player. I can only think of 2 and that’s durant and lebron. 

7 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Young's shooting ability is too good to fail completely in the NBA. Doncic could be a Harden type. Both would do wonders for our offense

It's other stuff I worry about with Young.

Doncic a Harden? I dunno about that.

16 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

The problem is our upper management like the tall.. Long.. Athletic types.. That's how they will go surely? 

Basically they'd only go against that if a player's other traits are so worth it that they merit an exception.  And you only get one chance to do that. So you have to be sure

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

Basically they'd only go against that if a player's other traits are so worth it that they merit an exception.  And you only get one chance to do that. So you have to be sure

yep that is exactly right

8 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

you bring in those guys to help cover up for guys like young or Doncic. they're safer defense bets

1 minute ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

At some point you have to take a scorer. You'll get destroyed if you only have shaky offensive players as your main guys, no matter how athletic

Yeah it just has to be the right one though.  

Which young and Doncic might be

• Like 1