Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

that article points out that out how Doncic compares to a prime hedo as a criticism for not going first (because of he had hedos career that's not great for a first pick) but also states that he's basically already as good as prime hedo as an 18 year old so who knows how good he'll be because no European player has ever been this good this early before. 

6 hours ago, jec said:

None of this really matters because of the lottery system. It's kind of sad for you to be so excited about losing. Especially considering how little it has actually helped us over the past 6 years. This franchise is an embarrassment right now.

nope not sad one bit it's a cyclical thing and having the best odds of number 1 overall is a glimmer of hope on a stormy sea. I could never be embarrassed of our team I find entertainment in it not my personal identity silly :)

2 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

I don't see how the two are related. 

We're probably going to be in a good position to draft him and he's projected to be what we want Mario to be but better.

Can someone talk me into Deandre Ayton? I've watched some of his film and he's huge and athletic and his shooting form looks good even though his jumper isn't really falling. Hes obviously dominating down low but it's hard to project that against NBA defence and NBA size. I really want to like him but I'm also scared that he's just beating up on smaller guys. I'm not as in the loop on the draft this year. So far my "Hope the Magic get one of these guys" list is just Trae Young, Collin Sexton and Luka Doncic. 

32 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Can someone talk me into Deandre Ayton? I've watched some of his film and he's huge and athletic and his shooting form looks good even though his jumper isn't really falling. Hes obviously dominating down low but it's hard to project that against NBA defence and NBA size. I really want to like him but I'm also scared that he's just beating up on smaller guys. I'm not as in the loop on the draft this year. So far my "Hope the Magic get one of these guys" list is just Trae Young, Collin Sexton and Luka Doncic. 

"I most often think about this idea as it relates to DeAndre Ayton, who despite visually apparent flaws in his game, has absolutely freakish coordination for his size:

I’m not qualified to say if players can develop this kind of movement or coordination, but I’d lean against it, especially for big prospects. It seems like an unteachable foundational component that opens doors to higher ceilings. Andre Drummond was a tremendously flawed prospect but had freakish movement skills and good coordination for a 279 pound big. Fast forward to his sixth season at age 24 and he looks like an all-star who can now run dribble hand-offs from the foul line and put the ball on the floor attacking less mobile bigs. How many people would have predicted that he’d evolve into more than a dynamic lob catcher and deep seal post up threat four years ago?

I bring Drummond up because he reminds me in many ways of Ayton in terms of size, coordination and movement ability, save for Ayton is probably superior across the board (outside of raw explosive leaping and sheer size) and far ahead of where Drummond was skill wise at 19. It would be easy to say Ayton can’t currently put the ball on the floor as fluidly as a Karl Towns type and his flat jumper projects better mechanically to mid-range than NBA 3, both potentially true statements, but that might sell his ability to improve short, as he already possesses foundational skill (shooting touch, ball-handling) to pair with an elite movement and coordination baseline."

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/01/04/coles-draft-reflections/

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

watch the third attempt.

He's being compared to Dwight Howard but with a 3 point shot.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22023803/arizona-wildcats-freshman-deandre-ayton-not-afraid-do-big-things

He and Trae Young are 1a and 1b for me now. Ayton makes the most sense because his skill levels at his position are matched by his size and athleticism, something that can't be said for Trae. 

He's also hyper competitive. Any rumors about his lack of motor he explained were due to his conditioning because he plays so hard. "I just got 15 rebounds on that possession dude I'm tired."

If we get the first pick, I don’t think Young or Clexton will even be in the discussion. We need a transcendent player who can dominate in this league, and I’m not seeing it with either of those two. Of course, like most of you, I’m dying for a PG, so hopefully we sort that out. Still I think the top pick will be between Euro and Ayton.

57 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

If we get the first pick, I don’t think Young or Clexton will even be in the discussion. We need a transcendent player who can dominate in this league, and I’m not seeing it with either of those two. Of course, like most of you, I’m dying for a PG, so hopefully we sort that out. Still I think the top pick will be between Euro and Ayton.

Young might be a transcendent player

On 11/01/2018 at 3:46 AM, Magicfan1987 said:

let's say we end up with the #1 overall pick and our office picks Trae Young because they actually want to build a team and play modern. How does this board react to snubbing Doncic and Ayton??

I'd be ecstatic that we made such a bold move

The problem with taking a big is that if we can't find a taker for Vuc or Biz we have way too much $ and minutes tied up at the 5. I'm heavily leaning towards Doncic, Young, or Sexton in that order. I can't take another season of watching EP's hair bounce down the court and airball floaters and 3s.

We are only 1 game out of last place and the Hawks could possibly beat Brooklyn tonight! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

The problem with taking a big is that if we can't find a taker for Vuc or Biz we have way too much $ and minutes tied up at the 5. I'm heavily leaning towards Doncic, Young, or Sexton in that order. I can't take another season of watching EP airball floaters and 3s.

Vucevic and biyombo will have next to no impact on who we draft

• Upvote 1