Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

Learn even a little bit about Luka Doncic, and it’s easy to believe. He has the size of a wing, rebounds like a forward, but handles and passes like a point guard. He is described as competitive, poised, and obsessed with basketball. He has dominated his peers at every age. He’s now playing as a professional against grown men and seasoned veterans — and he’s still dominating. Doncic is competing in the second best basketball league in the world, and through 31 games has more than held his own. He has been both one of the highest usage players in Euroleague play, and at the same time one of the most efficient. Pick-and-rolls captained by Doncic have had the highest points per possession, by far, compared to all others in Euroleague play, and same for ACB (Spanish) league play. (According to Synergy Sports, minimum 100 pick-and-roll possessions.) And, oh yeah: there’s still a month and a half until he turns 19.

https://cleaningtheglass.com/midseason-draft-review-luka-doncic/

5 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

I don't care about team need at this point, you shouldn't either.  There is a very small percentage of times where you pick need over talent.

I clearly stated that I also don't consider him to be the BPA.

6 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

It's just my perspective, but most would pick Bagley over Doncic I believe.  I really don't see Doncic going higher than 4 unless he exceeds expectations in workouts, then he could go 3.

This shows a lack of research.  Doncic has been projected higher than Bagley for months by nearly every scouting outlet.

7 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

I don't care about team need at this point, you shouldn't either.  There is a very small percentage of times where you pick need over talent.  It's just my perspective, but most would pick Bagley over Doncic I believe.  I really don't see Doncic going higher than 4 unless he exceeds expectations in workouts, then he could go 3.  He looks like a good player though, that's not a knock on him.  Bagley is just something else.  

Your shtick is so predictable: poke holes in my opinion, it then turns out to be correct, ignore that, move on to next opinion to make fun of.  Rinse and repeat.

But really, where did you come up with this last gem?

Lol.  Sure.  

1 minute ago, ML6 said:

I clearly stated that I also don't consider him to be the BPA.

This shows a lack of research.  Doncic has been projected higher than Bagley for months by nearly every scouting outlet.

For the purpose of our conversation lets say the two players are Doncic and Bagley.  You are on the clock, you say Doncic is the BPA? You're the one who brought up team need, not me.  

I do plenty of research.  Bagley is higher in more mock drafts right now than Doncic, though it is close.  I weight my own opinion more than most draft sites anyway, so even if you were right about other subjective draft boards it doesn't mean anything as it relates to the draft.  I am comfortable with my track record.  Further, the ones that have Doncic higher also discuss qualifiers for picking him that high, noting the projection is nebulous.  I'm perfectly fine drafting Doncic 1 if it makes sense.  It just doesn't make sense when you have Bagley, who is like a better and more athletic Chris Bosh, a hall of fame type player when Doncic may be a Gordon Hayward type...still a very good player but not in the same league.  

You... you trust your evaluation more than professional scouts?  Who travel the world watching and studying prospects as their jobs?

Not to mention that you tout your keen eye, which apparently needs no help from professional scouts, but then have almost a direct quote about Bagley from the most recent CBS mock.

7 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

Bagley, who is like a better and more athletic Chris Bosh, a hall of fame type player

Some are already calling him a "better version of Chris Bosh," which suggests a future Hall of Famer, and I'm not here to argue.

4 minutes ago, ML6 said:

You... you trust your evaluation more than professional scouts?  Who travel the world watching and studying prospects as their jobs?

If you think scouts that travel the world for a living are the ones creating the mock drafts on those boards then I have a catchphrase for you.  And, yes I do, I listen to others and apply what they show and formulate my own opinion.  It has worked out well thus far so I don't know why it's so unbelievable to you other than you just don't know any better and are more inclined to be incredulous than interested.  

1 minute ago, ML6 said:

Not to mention that you tout your keen eye, which apparently needs no help from professional scouts, but then have almost a direct quote about Bagley from the most recent CBS mock.

That's pretty funny.  But he does look like Chris Bosh.

I mean, it's not like Bagley is bad.  He's just probably a 5 and  we'd be in a position with a play making 5 that is a poor rim protector and a poor post defender and I'm not sure that's all that valuable in today's nba vs Ayton, young, bamba and even maybe a guy like Jaren Jackson.

2 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

I mean, it's not like Bagley is bad.  He's just probably a 5 and  we'd be in a position with a play making 5 that is a poor rim protector and a poor post defender and I'm not sure that's all that valuable in today's nba vs Ayton, young, bamba and even maybe a guy like Jaren Jackson.

That's a profound first sentence.  I don't see him as a 5, maybe that's the difference. If we're talking 5's then its Ayton obviously.

27 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

Learn even a little bit about Luka Doncic, and it’s easy to believe. He has the size of a wing, rebounds like a forward, but handles and passes like a point guard. He is described as competitive, poised, and obsessed with basketball. He has dominated his peers at every age. He’s now playing as a professional against grown men and seasoned veterans — and he’s still dominating. Doncic is competing in the second best basketball league in the world, and through 31 games has more than held his own. He has been both one of the highest usage players in Euroleague play, and at the same time one of the most efficient. Pick-and-rolls captained by Doncic have had the highest points per possession, by far, compared to all others in Euroleague play, and same for ACB (Spanish) league play. (According to Synergy Sports, minimum 100 pick-and-roll possessions.) And, oh yeah: there’s still a month and a half until he turns 19.

https://cleaningtheglass.com/midseason-draft-review-luka-doncic/

Which is probably why we didn't pick up Mario's option.

Our scouts were at a game recently observing too.

Just now, Magicman28 said:

Which is probably why we didn't pick up Mario's option.

Our scouts were at a game recently observing too.

I don't see how the two are related.